Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Headtracking demo with the Wiimote
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 02:37
Check out this demo of a headtracking system developed by Johnny Chung Lee at Carnegie Mellon University. If implemented, a system like this would be great. I occasionally find myself futilely trying to " duck" out of the way during heated games. This would actually make it effective and much more immersive, especially if you have a large display.

At his website [link=http://www.johnnylee.net]www.johnnylee.net [/link] he' s done several other cool experiments and hacks with the Wiimote.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 03:10
Thats amazing.

Companies are going to be falling over themselves competing to employ this guy.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 03:47
Wow. That' s the kind of guy that could take a whole company to the top.
I beg that Nintendo takes his ideas and makes something out of it.
That was just excellent. Simple idea, yet the results are amazing.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 05:38
Now that is innovation.

Absolutely freaking brilliant. If future Wii FPSs employ that technology, I' ll buy a Wii in a heartbeat.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 05:56
Ass soon as i read the title i knew it would involve ' swaping' the Sensor bar with the wiimote.

I' m 100% sure Nintendo R&D knew / played about with this as they were researching Wiimote technology.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 08:40
Or he could' ve used TrackIR. Still haven' t seen it used like that before. What' s to stop Sony and MS replicating this with their cameras?
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 08:44
Nuffin' .

I doubt they' d go for it though. Something like this complements the Wiimote (Had it been thought of, it should have been included from the get-go in my opinion)
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 24, 2007 09:26

I' m 100% sure Nintendo R&D knew / played about with this as they were researching Wiimote technology.

Yet haven' t bothered to introduce it in any number of their little mini games or even show it off in tech demos.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 02:21

Yet haven' t bothered to introduce it in any number of their little mini games or even show it off in tech demos.

Yes but Nintendo wouldnt do something half-assed and show of something which essentially effects ' one' player only. This is totally different to the concept of ' Wii' IE ' playing together' , It' ll be stupid for Nintendo to give out mixed impressions.

Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 02:32

Yes but Nintendo wouldnt do something half-assed and show of something which essentially effects ' one' player only. This is totally different to the concept of ' Wii' IE ' playing together' , It' ll be stupid for Nintendo to give out mixed impressions.

Wii-Fit?? I dono about you, but unless it' s Giselle Bundchen up on that platform, I don' t want to be trying to use it two at a time.

As far as them doing something half assed, I think that with a few days, someone could pump out a game as interesting as half the mini games on the wii.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 03:44

Yes but Nintendo wouldnt do something half-assed

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 05:25

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

There' s only one thing Nintendo wants: Financial Success.
That means hype->sales->profits.
A product that uses headtracking on the Wii-mote would guarantee hype->sales->profits. Headtracking = success.
If Nintendo had a ready concept they would have showed it ages ago.
choupolo

RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 07:54

This is totally different to the concept of ' Wii' IE ' playing together' , It' ll be stupid for Nintendo to give out mixed impressions.

Why cant the concept of ' Wii' be as much about making good games as playing together?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 08:39
This seems like a natural development seeing as the hardware is already in place. Nintendo must be kicking themselves for not gettiing this out sooner.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 09:02
Give me a rainbow six game using this tech! (on a Wii 2, so the game actually looks cool too*)
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 10:09
wouldnt every game made with this set up have to be on rails?

I would work great for time crsis 5 but anything else?...
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 10:17
No, why would it have to be on rails? It would work for any type of game. Imagine being able to control the camera with your head.
DieHounderdoggen

• Total Posts : 59
RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 10:43

Imagine being able to control the camera with your head.

You run into intrinsic problems there. Specifically if you don' t have your living room outfitted with walls made entirely of TVs. But it could be used pretty effectively with traditional analog stick technology. I' m thinking along the lines of the ' Tilt Cam' in Metal Gear Solid 3 (Pre-Subsistence), where the camera was more or less fixed above Snake, but you could tilt it to look father in other directions.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 20:22
choupolo

RE: Headtracking demo with the Wiimote - Dec 25, 2007 21:49
Controlling the camera with your head would be good for racing games. Like in GTR you can already get a headtracker which allows you to look around the car and look to the apex of a corner as your turning with the steering wheel. Works really well. And games like PGR would love it.

But the way Johnny Chung Lee uses it to create a holographic TV image, would be no problem to integrate into your bog standard fps with analog stick controlled movement. It' d just be a holographic fps, or h-fps.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message