Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 AWESOME Alan Wake footage!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 17:55
Go HERE and stream it from there. Do not direct link to the file in a post here.

The Alan wake demonstration starts at about the 17 minute mark, but you can just jump to it.

Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 18:00
Isn' t that the PC version??
Nitro

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 18:04
Yep, running on a 3.73GHz Quad Core processor. We' ll hopefully see the 360 version during X06, they definitely have something planned.

At least we know why Microsoft paid for exclusivity.
Tiz

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 18:06
Yup, would be insignificant to not have this game as an exclusive, especially
when it is looking so good...

On another note, I think this forum should have a feature that shows who' s
wacthing...

A lot of other forums have it...
Nitro

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 18:17

On another note, I think this forum should have a feature that shows who' s
wacthing...

Watching?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 18:23
Yeah it looks definetly nice! I wonder if the 360 can do that water effect, it looks definetly directx 10ish
Tiz

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 18:30
It should have a footer that shows the members that are currently viewing certain
threads, it also shows how many guests are viewing too...

Just a thought...
Nitro

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 19:02

ORIGINAL: Tiz

It should have a footer that shows the members that are currently viewing certain
threads, it also shows how many guests are viewing too...

Just a thought...

Oh, i get you now. I know exactly what you mean. I wonder...
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 19:40
Great stuff. Can' t wait for the quad cores to hit the market in 07.
Tiz

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 20:01
Ack... PC terminology...
Nitro

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 20:26

ORIGINAL: UnluckyOne

Great stuff. Can' t wait for the quad cores to hit the market in 07.

Duo cores were a definite improvement, Quad cores are obviously going to be even better. The only thing that bothers me is how fast PC technology is progressing and what effect it' s going to have on PC games as far as the minimum system requirements are concerned. Games will have to be tested over a range of differing processors, much more than before, and the same kind of problems that crop up due to different graphics cards are likely to happen.

I wonder how a 3.73GHz Quad Core would compare to Xenon or CELL.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 21:39
What will one of those Quad thingies cost when they' re out on the market?
UnluckyOne

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 22:13
We' re definitely going to experience a significant leap in PC technology in the next 6-12 months. Quite different from the usual " evolutionary treadmill" that occurs. Vista, DX10 (D3D10), DX10 video cards, multiple core CPU' s (and eventually GPU' s), physics cards, etc. They all open up huge possibilities in the field of PC gaming and software development in general.

Using multiple cores will definitely be the way things head from now on. It' s gotten to the point where it' s becoming harder and harder to shrink things down and increase the transistor count because we simply don' t know enough about quantum physics to proceed further. Things behave differently when they' re shrunk down to nanometer sizes and the " laws of physics" alter. It' s much easier (and cheaper) to simply add another core. Once software developers get their heads around programming for multiple cores, we' ll see some great things.

Clockspeed is also becoming irrelevant due to the fact that the faster you go, the more heat you push out. So instead the focus is on efficiency. You' ll notice how both Intel and AMD don' t advertise their clockspeeds anymore. They go by performance ratings. Clock for clock, Intel' s new cores probably kick the crap out of Xenon/Cell because they have superior instruction sets, can execute more instructions per clock and have other technological advances.

I' m definitely excited about the future of PC technology. Can' t wait to see what it brings.
Nitro

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 22:33
Okay, the comparison with Xenon and CELL isn' t quite fair as the architecture is different and thus performs in different ways. Maybe we' d be better off theorising about AMD' s 4 core Opterons and whether Intel being first to market with a 4 core processor will impact on AMD in a big way?!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 23:00
Wow... wow... wow... wow... holy crap........ wow.
UnluckyOne

RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 27, 2006 23:05

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Okay, the comparison with Xenon and CELL isn' t quite fair as the architecture is different and thus performs in different ways. Maybe we' d be better off theorising about AMD' s 4 core Opterons and whether Intel being first to market with a 4 core processor will impact on AMD in a big way?!

It' s a little hard to tell how much Intel will impact on AMD. Intel are still the dominant force in the CPU market but due to their now defunct Pentium 4 line, AMD managed to take a chunk out of it in the last couple of years (due to the A64' s being superior and cheaper). I found a good short article that explains a couple of things about the quad cores coming from both sides, and other things that may affect them.

http://news.digitaltrends.com/article10950.aspx

CPU battles tend to be a " leapfrog" situation. One comes out with superior tech and beats the other, then later the other comes out with a new core tech and beats the former. And so forth. Intel has internal restructuring, while AMD just made a massive merger with ATI, but both seem to be on track.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: AWESOME Alan Wake footage! - Sep 28, 2006 12:16

I wonder how a 3.73GHz Quad Core would compare to Xenon or CELL.

it will walk all over both CELL and XENON, even a core 2 duo kills either, a quad core shits all over a console cpu. The problem is that computer games are scalable and its hard to program a game to take advantage of multiple cores to the fullest and have it work for single cores as well. They' ll get better at it though.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll