Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Macs
MartyC

• Total Posts : 22
Macs - Jul 04, 2004 17:25
Hello, i just wanna know whether you can play games on apple macs. Games like unreal etc etc
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Macs - Jul 04, 2004 17:30
You CAN if said games are released on the Mac.
Macs are just as good as other desktop PCs :)
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Macs - Jul 04, 2004 18:29
I suppose you can if the game is released for it (and some are, though later than their PC counterparts). But the Mac really shouldn' t be considered a gaming platform. Wheras the PC tries to be " everything in one" , Macs are mainly the most useful for people who do creative stuff professionally. You will not find better video and DVD authoring software, etc anywhere else. But if you want the latest frag-fest, you should stick with PC.
fictionised

• Total Posts : 85
RE: Macs - Jul 05, 2004 15:39
Just as Joe stated, Macs these days represent design, and not really too much else- oh, and music...lol.

Unfortunately (www.folklore.org to read up on the history on apple, and stupid m$- the site is by Apple employers- it' s a very cool site), Gates basically lied and screwed Apple over, and Apple are only just starting to hit back, and with innovative products like the iPod, etc., they are gaining ground pretty quickly, but unless they become more common, and cheaper to buy/upgrade, nobody' s going to be playing too many games on them....

Still too expensive for me to rationalise it as practical....
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: Macs - Jul 06, 2004 18:27
hehe, hate to say this, but, Mac sucks hands down[:' (]. Slower than PC, mouse has 1 button (& circular? too small for my hands), graphic sucks big time, far less accessability than PC. only schools use them for networking, that' s the only good thing about it....
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Macs - Jul 06, 2004 23:55
Not to turn this into a Mac debate but I wouldn' t say Macs are slower than PCs ;)

I' m not sure about current benchmarks but there was a time when I had my crummy old as heck 1987 Mac Plus running alongside my Pentium computer and it actually outperformed it in a few areas. ;)

The one button mouse has always irked me a bit but other than that both platforms have some advantages and disadvantages against each other.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Macs - Jul 07, 2004 00:02
I agree that the one button mouse sucks. That is what is included with all Macs. They have not used a circular mouse for at least 3 years though. Mac OS X supports 2 button mice and scrollwheels natively. So all you have to do is plug any ol' USB two button mouse in, and it works just fine. The second button works just like it does on a PC, thankfully.

Macs are DEFINITELY NOT slower, but I wouldn' t say they are faster, at least not in all areas. Keep in mind that Mac processors are RISC based, whereas Pentium and AMD stuff is CISC (I believe that' s the term). Basically what that means is that it takes fewer instructions for the processor to do the same thing on a RISC system. At this moment in time, it is reported that all of the new game systems will use G4 or G5 processors just like the Mac, even the Xbox 2.

I have both a powerful Mac and a powerful PC, and I can compare objectively. If you' re looking for games and all da latest sharewarez in addition to filing taxes, general web surfing, and other commonly performed tasks, then a Mac is not the platform for you. If you want to edit video, mix Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, create music, author a DVD, design a layout for a magazine, work in After Effects or Photoshop, it is all done best on a Mac.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 7/7/2004 12:04:26 AM >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message