Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 48
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 07:39
Listen up.

Working through the remaining bugs / fixes / tweaks.

To the people who said they kept landing on page 1 of a multi-page topic after posting their reply, please let me know what browser/version/system this happened on. I have only been able to reproduce the problem on IE6. Any others? Although I prefer IE6 to IE7 this forum works propelry on IE7 and it makes no sense making minor fixes for old browsers on their way out.

The layout issues with pages such as PM, Friends, Edit Profile, View Profle etc, we are working on. Blame CSS - it's seriously a joke.

Opera text/cursor fix is on its way.

Images posted no longer stretch width.

Reward points, whatever indeed they are, we're looking to remove all trace of this, in the meantime please ignore it.
This will also be less space wasted under people's avatars when they post.

We'll move forum jump up top to go from VG to EE and back.

Anything else?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 07:42
I could go for a taco.
Adam Doree

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 07:56
Oh here's another thing, and I think this applies to the main site as well as the forum, on Macs, the top nav area is apparently fucked.

Joe Redifer sent me a screen:

Now for some reason the geniuses at Apple and/or CSS are ignoring my explicit wish to make this nav text normal (not bold). Because it is bold, it forces the word 'FORUM' down thereby messing other stuff up. He says this is also the case on the main site, although because of the way I have the entire top section embedded into the forum, the result is not quite so ugle as the Kikizo logo graphic simply covers up most of the word 'FORUM'. Either way it's annoying.

What I want to know is, is this happening for all Mac users on all browsers?

And even more of a concern is it happening for any non Mac users?

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 08:29
That recoded version you showed me looked perfect.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 08:55
I was looking at the site on a Mac yesterday and didn't notice that problem... but I've usually been selecting the forum from the list on the left, not the top button.  So, unsure here... it'll be a few days before I'm around any Macs to try again.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 17:02
I have this problem. Im running Firefox3 on win xp so i think its a Firefox problem not Mac's.

Adam Doree

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 21:27
Thanks for the info guys

Can anyone recrete the problem with any browser OTHER than FF3 regardless of system?

Nice to know Firefox is making designers' lives easier by ignoring obvious CSS definitions.

Joe, the version I sent you was an early version of the recoding of the site. It shows that the nav originally displayed properly, but when content and functionality started being added, Firefox's poor brain can't handle it, even though since then I've tried to patch with additional definitions to force no bold.

I HATE THE INTERNET.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 21:54
I didn't see this with Opera 9.51. "Forums" is where it should be.

And it's kind of strange that Firefox would behave that way. Didn't they have web standards as one of their highest priorities together with the guys at Opera (or so both of them say)?

And about the cursor thing in Opera. I tested some things and noticed that holding the mouse button allowed me to write, hehe. Weird stuff. No wonder people can hate the Internet from time to time :P
Agent Ghost

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 22:42
Excellent work, now make it faster.  Warp 10 this biotch.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 22:51
You can actually go online on macs????
Joe Redifer

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 22:56
I imagine that if you widened the site by a few pixels it would be fine.  Nobody has resolutions that low any more so I wouldn't worry about any users not seeing content. 

I agree with Agent Ghost.  The site loves to redraw itself even when the BACK and FORWARD buttons are used, making everything slower than it used to be.  I like how everything looks, but it is starting to become style over function like many websites these days.

Duffman, you have brought many LOLs to the world with that ingenious post!  Would you mind if I worshiped you?
<message edited by Joe Redifer on Jul 31, 2008 22:58>
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 23:00
Is it me or is the front page slow as heck while using firefox. Kind of slugish also the forum site seems to be slow as well using ff3.

Oh and is there anyway you can make the hot topics pop up on the front page of the site like the last forum. This is how I find out what every body is talking about.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Jul 31, 2008 23:04
Joe Redifer

I imagine that if you widened the site by a few pixels it would be fine.  Nobody has resolutions that low any more so I wouldn't worry about any users not seeing content. 

I agree with Agent Ghost.  The site loves to redraw itself even when the BACK and FORWARD buttons are used, making everything slower than it used to be.  I like how everything looks, but it is starting to become style over function like many websites these days.

Duffman, you have brought many LOLs to the world with that ingenious post!  Would you mind if I worshiped you?

Thank you Joe! Yeah I think I have really outdone myself with that last post. Not at all. Worship away my friend.

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 01, 2008 03:21
Firefox 2.0.0.10

Firefox spell check highlights words in the full-post window, but you can't correct.

Oh, and while you're at it, turn the whole website up to eleven.
Adam Doree

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 01, 2008 13:44
Refreshing any page is not recommended as it reloads in loads of script. The natural click/post flow of using should not cause slow experience.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 01, 2008 23:33
Adam about the private messaging.

I'm using Firefox v 2.0.0.16

My problem is that the message is not below the inbox, but breaks alignment and stretches the page layout extending to the right.
So the actual message is itself to the right of the page.

i have uploaded the image to show:

Adam did you get my PM?
<message edited by the_shadowwolf on Aug 01, 2008 23:41>
Agent Ghost

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 02, 2008 01:38
Just a minor tip for Vista users, which applies to the internet in general:

If you have Vista and a decent videocard the forums are noticably faster with Aero activated since it uses the GPU to render the web pages instead of the CPU.  Looks better too.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 05, 2008 21:38
Yeah, so, I'm back on a Mac and it does have that problem with the buttons across the top.  On both Firefox and Safari. 
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 06, 2008 00:27
Mac's probably don't have that font, or that font is messed up on Macs.
Joe Redifer

Re:Outstanding Forum Bugs / Fixes - Aug 06, 2008 08:46
What font is it?  If it is a special font then it really should just be an image file instead of text.  Anyway I honestly think it is a Cascading Style Sheet issue.  Internet Explorer on the PC is EXTREMELY forgiving of bad code.  Other browsers not so much.  As posted, this does effect Firefox 3 on Windows as well.  Maybe Adam could have the font size shrunk just 1 point and that would probably fix things.

On the good side, the site does seem faster now than it did, say, last week.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 48

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message