Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 00:34

UK, October 11, 2007 - Despite Nintendo reporting it can' t keep up with demand for its Wii console, a Japanese newspaper is claiming that developers are concerned its bubble is about to burst, with some actually nervous about making titles for the motion-sensing machine, in case they don' t sell.

This comes from The Nikkei Business Daily, which has been speaking to software houses about their thoughts on the future of Wii. Several developers claim that Nintendo has been the only beneficiary of Wii' s success as it was able to predict demand for the console, while other publishers were forced to catch up quickly producing titles - some of which ended up as flops.

Meanwhile, others think that the Wii is only a fad and its popularity will fade. One unnamed president of a developer told Nikkei: " The Wii is like the ' Billy' s Boot Camp' weight-loss program on DVD. People bought it out of curiosity, and it' s likely a lot of them haven' t used it" .

According to Nikkei, concern is also growing in the Japanese industry after sales of Wii slowed considerably to just 168,000 units - the worst month of sales since December 2006. Now companies are " on guard for signs of a major change" .

LINK

No. Fucking. Legs.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 00:44
I want all names of the people and companies who said it or agree with it.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 01:16

No. ***ing. Legs.

No fucking legs?
Nitro

RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 03:49

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

No. ***ing. Legs.

No ***ing legs?

No. Fu©king. Legs!

Ofcourse i' m being overly harsh. Some of the major companies in Japan are creating Gimp games. Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter will sell fu©king millions over there. But the fact of the matter is, and i' ve said it before; Nintendo' s games will always perfom better sales-wise than 3rd party software will and that puts developers/publishers off. Couple that with a low software tie ratio and a hugely varied demographic and the platform just isn' t as viable as it could have been.

Personally my love afair with Nintendo will likely end with Phantom Hourglass as i' ve decided against buying a Wii. I' ll play Galaxy on a friends machine.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 03:50
I read they over simplified Phantom Hourglass, which means i wont go out of my way to get it.

Nintendo is making everything accesible to everyone and then making it boring to the rest of us.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 07:38

According to Nikkei, concern is also growing in the Japanese industry after sales of Wii slowed considerably to just 168,000 units - the worst month of sales since December 2006. Now companies are " on guard for signs of a major change" .

Well to my knowledge it still beat out the competition despite not having any major titles released and its doom and gloom for the Wii? Please. When it is outsold by the Ps3 for the month then we can start looking a doomsday senarios for the Wii but for now nothing has really changed.

No. ***ing. Legs.

Whatever. Next we' ll hear the next round of ' when Wii will fail' predictions. What did you base this opinion on? -

Nintendo' s games will always perfom better sales-wise than 3rd party software will and that puts developers/publishers off

Ok fair point. If games Like Manhunt 2/No More Heroes do well on the Wii, Developers might see some oppurtunities opening up for them. Nintendo don' t make violent games, so if a violent game like Manhunt 2/No More Heroes does well on the system then theres an open market ripe for the taking.

Couple that with a low software tie ratio and a hugely varied demographic and the platform just isn' t as viable as it could have been.

Its funny you mention software tie ratio but forget that the Wii' s software tie ratio is better then that of the ps3 (if only slighly), but you have never described this as a problem for the ps3? Lets have some consistency. When the quantity & games & quality titles increases, so does the attach rate. Its not rocket science. The Wii (currently) doesn' t have that many quality titles, nor its library of equal size as the 360, hence the average attach rate. But we' ll deduce the Wii doesn' t have a future because of this, but the ps3 has a future when it currently has a similar attach rate? 360' s attach rate is only so good because it has had 2 years to get alot of games & quality titles in its library. Its not because of the console itself. Its the games.

For my mind thats not much to base your ' No F**King Legs' theory on.

< Message edited by Terrak -- 11 Oct 07 23:53:17 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 08:03
Do nintendo lose money for each console sold, like PS3 and 360?
Terrak

RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 08:10

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

Do nintendo lose money for each console sold, like PS3 and 360?

No, Apparently they make money for every console sold. Why?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 08:24

No, Apparently they make money for every console sold. Why?

Well, since the PS3 loses (I think) $200 for each console sold, and Im not sure how much MS lose, but that means they would have to sell $201 worth of accessories to turn profit, so if the wii lost money and since no one buys games for the wii that could lead to the " demise"
Nitro

RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 08:24
EDIT: Wii makes profit from the get go. Both 360 and PS3 are sold at a loss.

Ok fair point. If games Like Manhunt 2/No More Heroes do well on the Wii, Developers might see some oppurtunities opening up for them. Nintendo don' t make violent games, so if a violent game like Manhunt 2/No More Heroes does well on the system then theres an open market ripe for the taking.

REmake, RE0, RE4, Killer 7. Gamecube had violent games too and while you do have a point, i think it' s pretty plain to see that Nintendo aren' t actively pushing for more adult and mainstream titles. Red Steel was the exception but that was pushed by NOA and geared towards a western audience anyway.

Its funny you mention software tie ratio but forget that the Wii' s software tie ratio is better then that of the ps3 (if only slighly), but you have never described this as a problem for the ps3? Lets have some consistency. When the quantity & games & quality titles increases, so does the attach rate. Its not rocket science. The Wii (currently) doesn' t have that many quality titles, nor its library of equal size as the 360, hence the average attach rate. But we' ll deduce the Wii doesn' t have a future because of this, but the ps3 has a future when it currently has a similar attach rate? 360' s attach rate is only so good because it has had 2 years to get alot of games & quality titles in its library. Its not because of the console itself. Its the games.

Heh, 6 months after 360' s release the attach rate was 6+. It topped 8 when Oblivion was released and then again when Gears was released. It' s been about 6.5 since shorly after launch - it' s got way less to do with the number of games released that you probably think. The tie ratios are so different becase the demographics are so different. Wii' s install base consists of far more non-gamers and casual gamers than 360' s and so will obviously spend less on software. Further down the line when Wii' s install base is far greater than 360' s and the number of more hardcore/traditional gamers is equal (disregarding the non/casual gamers) things will get interesting because Wii will be a more valid platform than it is right now.

PS3 sucks at the moment. It has better games than Wii, but can' t compete with 360' s library. The difference between Wii and PS3, even though sales-wise Wii is dominating, is that PS3 has far more 3rd party support and many more games in development. I have critisized PS3 for it' s weak software lineup, shoddy ports and expensive price tag, but i also expect PS3 to have a better 2008 than 360.

But hey, Christmas is nearly here and Super Mario Galaxy will probably destroy everything else anyway.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 12 Oct 07 0:28:07 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 08:30
Japanese developers don' t matter because they don' t make FPS games.
Terrak

RE: Japanese Developers ' Nervous' About Making Wii Games... - Oct 12, 2007 09:32
Nitro I' m just surprised you' re still writing off the Wii thats all. Anyway GC and the Wii are 2 completely different consoles. The GC was a console trying to fit in to a market dominated by the ps2 and with a new but strong contender in xbox1. The Wii is making carving a market on its own pretty much seperate of its rivals. So you can' t assume that games not doing well on GC (ie violent games) will not do well on the Wii, not yet anyway. Resident evil 4 for Wii did well even though its a classic title so its comforting to know that violent games can do well, which is why i find Manhunt 2 an important title for the Wii. Its true Nintendo never push adult oreiented titles but its still possible for them to thrive on the Wii.

As for Wiis average attach rate. I blame this largely on Wii success. My theory is that with the Wii doing better then Nintendo expected they haven' t really needed to push quality titles. Look at how many quality titles are coming out for ps3 (compared to Wii) as they try to cultivate sales with software. Nintendo still feel the Wii is being sold out Worldwide, so using software to push hardware is for Nintendo at the moment seems unnecessary. Look at Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and SSB:Brawl. These titles (from memory) were supposed to be released around launch, or very soon after. But all three have had lenghty delays. I know thats not definative proof, but it does look like Nintendo don' t see a need to rush the titles out the door. With these top Nintendo titles being delayed for so long what do 3rd party developers have to compete with? With no one ' setting the bar' on the Wii developers are free to flood it with average games and mostly ps2 ports. Its actually a surprise the Wii attach rate isn' t lower then it is all things considered. So though it is dissappointing to be a Wii owner at the moment, its not to say the future for the console is bleak, actually for my mind it still has alot of potential. My concern is if the Wii actually had a large quantity of quality titles but still have a low attach rate.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll