Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Who Likes to Read?
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
Who Likes to Read? - Nov 25, 2004 17:01
Video games aren' t the only thing I' m crazy about.

I' m a huge fan of SF/Fantasy novels -- Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, Sara Douglas, Tad Williams and Pierce Anthony are just a few of my fav authors.

Mind you, I do read all sorts of material. I have quite the library (I' m also a collector of children' s books).
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 25, 2004 18:12
Eye nev lerned ta raed....

Actually I love reading, my collection of books almost reaches up there with the amount of DVDs I have. I got alot of Tom Clancy, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and Anne Rice. I read real life stuff like Schindler' s List and Zodiac Killer to things like Alien V Predator and Star Wars to even Shakespeare. Altho currently my number one favorite writer is Lawrence Block, Hitman in particular.

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 25, 2004 19:11
Personally, I don' t know how to read. I am able to write just fine, but I certainly can' t read, so it' s not one of my hobbies.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 25, 2004 20:42
I' ve just discovered the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They are the best series of books I' ve ever read. I' ve been making my way slowly through Rincewind' s journeys and have started on Mort recently.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 26, 2004 14:09

I got alot of Tom Clancy, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and Anne Rice.

I have close to all of their books as well.

DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 26, 2004 18:34
I usually read sci-fi, but am very particular to include books by unknown authors that show distinct talent and imagination.

Tech manuals, though dry-reading to some, really seem to interest me.

Other than that, I read books based upon true events...Wars, auto-/biographies, etc.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 27, 2004 17:33
Let me shine a light on one of the best kept secrets in the world of fantasy...Jim Butcher...If you haven' t read any of the Dresden files you do not know what you are missing. I just recently devoured the entire series in less that 4 weeks. It seems that he has been steadily gaining momentum and now he is finally releasing his first hardback in the series. The series is about a wisecracking wizard for hire in Chicago named Harry Dresden. He' s sort of a private eye. It doesn' t sound too great I know but trust me...it' s good. It' s in first person, similar to how Fight Club reads. Plus, this series is not too costly because the previous books are softback.

Now that I have got out that promotion for the Dresden files I can get down to my list of favs:

Robert Jordan: I love the WoT series, but I do not love the long waits in between books. The prequel was alright but I could care less what Morraine and Lan were doing before the Dragon was reborn. I want to know how this all is going to play out and the answers to all of the questions Jordan has been leaving in the last few books.

George R. R. Martin: This guy can write folks. His, " Song of Fire and Ice" series is one of the best pieces of fantasy I' ve ever read. Magic plays a relatively small role in this series, but it just feels right. Martin focuses on the affairs between the houses, brutal combat, and dialogue. Be prepared though...these books will take awhile to read...I believe one topped 1,000 pages. You won' t be disappointed.

Stephen King: Sure, the guy is the best horror writer of this generation. He' s also did the Dark Tower series...another that ranks high on my list of fantasy series. The story of Roland and his seemingly neverending journey to right what is wrong with the Dark Tower at the expense of friends is pretty moving. I haven' t had a chance to read the final in the series yet but I am getting it for Christmas. I can' t wait...

Fantasy is kind of my preferred reading material but I sometimes read other genres. My favorite series outside of those above is the, " Prey" series by John Sanford. The series focuses on Lucas Davenport, a Minneapolis detective who has a fondness for women and the ability to track killers. Sanford' s books always have a theme, such as Mind Prey, Rules of Prey, and Hidden Prey. I' m not sure how many books he has out now but I think it' s around 12 or so, maybe more.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 28, 2004 15:26
I love to read. When i get a new book it consumes me until it is finished. And I read anything. I used to only read " literature" the good old classics (Austen, Dickens, Tolstoy) and then someone introdcued me to Terry Brooks..... that began a delightful obsession with fantasy. Love them all read them all. Now I have rounded out the interests with John Grisham, Michael Chricton, Mary Higgins Clark, the suspense genre.

Looking for a new book by the way, what should i get?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 28, 2004 18:43
Lawrence Block' s Hitman. Here' s the description on the back:

Keller is your basic Urban Lonely Guy. He makes a decent wage, lives in a nice apartment. Works the crossword puzzle. Watches a lil TV. Until the phone rings and he packs his suitcase, gets a plane, flies halfway across the country...and kills somebody. It' s a living. But is it a life? Keller' s not sure. He goes to a shrink, but it doesn' t work out the way he planned. He get' s a dog, he gets a girlfriend. He gets along.

It sort of reminded me of that movie Grosse Point Blank with John Cusack. A hitman trying to leave the business and start a real life but just not quite going as planned. I found the book at a thrift store so I dunno if itll be easy to get ahold of, he' s apparently a well known mystery/suspence writer.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 29, 2004 03:23
I reiterate:

Jim Butcher...the Dresden Files...read them...

It' s like a mantra folks...just keep saying those words until you give in and buy the first in the series, Storm Front. It' s an inexpensive risk.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Who Likes to Read? - Nov 30, 2004 00:49
Thanks guys, I shall look into both of them. if they are as good as they sound, i should breeze through them (at an expense to my school work and social life, but that is a price i am willing to pay)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll