Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailers / demo coming 27th April (JP)
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailers / demo coming 27th April (JP) - Mar 22, 2007 17:32
Be warned, ...it' s underwhelming.

Note that the Quicktime version is far better quality, even though the resolution is the same.

Direct links to the [zip] files:

QT 1280x720 - Download 266MB

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/1UP/g...f.01_quick.zip

WMV 1280x720 - Download 31MB

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/1UP/g...1_1280x720.zip

Caps from the trailer:
(caps are lower resolution because i captured them on a shitty work PC)

Ryu looks fantastic but the environments look pretty lame and the lighting looks exactly like it did in the Xbox version. Playing as Rachel looks retarded so it looks like most of the new content will be wasted on a lame ass 2nd rate character.

You' ll notice that it doesn' t look as nice as the bullshots the team have released up until now. So much for building it from the ground up. They' ve literally taken the Ninja Gaiden engine, re-done the textures and improved the player character models.

I expected better.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 28 Mar 07 9:45:28 >
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 22, 2007 18:38
Err, I' m pretty sure Team Ninja/Tecmo have been using the same engine since DOA2. They' ve just rehashed it numerous times and added minor updates. That' s one thing I really hope they sort out with DOA5 or anything similar. In essence their games have changed very little since the Dreamcast days.
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 22, 2007 19:11
I know the DoA fighting games and the Xtreme games run on modified versions of the the same engine, but i thought Ninja Gaiden was built from the ground up. If you' re right though then this is just lame.

They' re even planning on using the Sigma revision as the framework for Ninja Gaiden 2.

But meh, it looks nice enough and it' ll run at 60fps. But then Dead Rising has far far nicer environments and runs at 60fps with tons more going on on-screen at the same time. Perhaps Team Ninja are losing their touch...

Right now i' d say that both Heavenly Sword and Devil May Cry 4 are more impressive looking games visually. Even Days of the Blade holds it' s own.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 22, 2007 21:01
I' ve been underwhelmed with all of Team Ninja' s games (graphically) this generation. They have not been a great improvement over the previous generation. The engine was impressive on DC/PS2/Xbox but I really thought Team Ninja would have kicked it up a notch with the PS3/360 instead of sitting on their laurels. Just comparing base DOA games:

DOA -> DOA2 was an amazing improvement. Like comparing UE2 -> UE3.

DOA2 -> DOA3 was a little change but I guess that' s because Xbox wasn' t a huge leap over the DC.

DOA3 -> DOA4 was pathetic. DOA4 was just DOA3 with specular lighting, slightly improved textures and more boob physics. I was expecting a much bigger change.

Their other franchises and respective sequels seem to have suffered a similar fate. I would hope that Itagaki and co. stop thinking so much about pushing the boundaries of mammary physics (I think they' ve got it down pretty well) and get their shit together. With a new generation, a new engine should have been used, rather than trying to pass the old off as new. I' ve always thought of Team Ninja as a group who could push systems and graphics to the limit. Guess not at the moment.

< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 22 Mar 07 13:08:07 >
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 22, 2007 21:38
That' s why i started off by saying that Sigma is underwhelming.

But i think the difference between DoA3 and 4 is big enough, ...it' s the difference between DoAU and 4 that' s unimpressive. hell, there' s even more content in DoAU too.

Xbox 360' s ability to render Xbox games in HD resolutions makes Sigmas graphical short falling ever more noticeable, because Ninja Gaiden/Black looks better than most 360 games when played in 720p.

But i honestly expected more from Sigma. They have afterall made comments like...

" When this game is released we want people to say this is the best-looking, best-playing action game on the system"

...and while it may be the best-playing action game out for PS3 when it hits retail, it isn' t going to be the best-looking.

I' m most disappointed by the environments and by everything that involves Rachel. Ryu actually looks really good and i' d be hard to improve on the model in Sigma without compromising the style, but everything else just looks sterile.
emusa

• Total Posts : 21
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 00:22
Ehm.. Dead Rising isn' t 60fps. It' s a steady 30fps.
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 00:28

ORIGINAL: emusa

Ehm.. Dead Rising isn' t 60fps. It' s a steady 30fps.

Yep, my bad.
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 01:38
The Models aren' t bad at all, but the rest is preety " meh" . Levels don' t look any better, they just seem to have more color. Lots of jaggies, but that' s probably because of the video quality, I don' t know.
I' ll buy it for the extra 3 Chapters and new features, but it does not look very impressive.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 07:25
The requested URL /1UP/g...1_1280x720.zip was not found on this server.

Don' t post broken links you ****.
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 07:32

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

The requested URL /1UP/g...1_1280x720.zip was not found on this server.

Don' t post broken links you ***.

Ok, check your messages for a working link.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 07:37
It doesn' t look that bad besides the jaggies.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 07:54

It doesn' t look that bad besides the jaggies.

Are you serious? That' s like going to a five-star restaurant, being served leftovers and finding hair in the food, and then you sit there and say that it isn' t so bad except for the hair in your food.

Do you buy used socks? Because that' s what Ninja Gaiden Sigma is. Used socks.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 07:59

Do you buy used socks? Because that' s what Ninja Gaiden Sigma is. Used socks.

you should so be a philosopher

It doesn' t look that bad besides the jaggies

Are you serious? That' s like going to a five-star restaurant, being served leftovers and finding hair in the food, and then you sit there and say that it isn' t so bad except for the hair in your food.

I dont think you could pay him to say a game on the ps3 looked bad
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 08:04
The Ryu parts don' t look bad. I' m not impressed by the lighting or environmental textures but Ryu and the other Ninjas look good, ...it' s the Rachel part that really bothers me. It just looks plain wrong. I mean, there are some interesting moves in there but she looks lame and the cathedral looks almost identical to the one in the original.

I want to see more and i' ll obviously buy it but i don' t see why they can' t do it in 1080p as there' s nothing there that makes me think it would be a limitation.

I' ll post some full res screen grabs soon.
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailerS - Mar 23, 2007 08:35
Gametrailers just put up some HD videos showing some different gameplay.

Motorcycle

Rachel (ugh!)

Dojo

Forest

The forest trailer looks nice.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 09:04
First of all I don' t understand why everyone calls Quicktimes that are 480p " HD footage" and the such. At best it is ED. HD needs to be at least 1280x720 minimum... unless, of course, you have super low standards of what high definition should be.

Anyway the game looks better than the Xbox version to be sure, at least from the first stage sequence I watched. It doesn' t blow the Xbox version away graphically like Panzer Dragoon Orta blows the original Panzer Dragoon away, though. Well it might... if it were in HD. We' ll see when we can actually watch it in HD.

Not sure why they' re remaking this game.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 23, 2007 11:59
The f-?

What have they done? Firstly? It doesn' t seem frantic at all, where' s the difficulty curve?

They seemed to have butchered the A.I..

Secondly, what' s with all the fanciful additional animations? They make him look
like a ballerina with a bounty on his head. Sure they look cool, but it' s totally
unnecessary, I loved the simplicity of him just rolling out of the way, now he has
an animation where he recovers sideways and does a full back flip... Motherf-

Please also tell me that' s not the final framerate... I want smoothness with Ninja
Gaiden... It looks outdated, pretty, but outdated.

Man that initial trailer really got my hopes up, I was floored more when I saw the
first ever trailer on Xbox, when he had the red sniper beam floating across his
face and then he dodged it... After watching all the HD trailers on GameTrailers,
I think that this has whet my appetite more for what they pull of in Ninja Gaiden 2..

I' ll still be getting Sigma, just to outrank people from the get-go, but I want some stuff on Ninja Gaiden 2... ANYTHING!!!!!

Rant over..
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 24, 2007 00:11
1up' s Gamevideos have released a ex-box 480i and upscaled 720p ' minimum HD' comparison with the new Sigma footage....

.....the encoding seems off, but then that could be down to my mid-priced 1280 x 1024 LCD display...

Ryu looks fantastic but the environments look pretty lame and the lighting looks exactly like it did in the Xbox version.

....it' s certainly not as dramatic as Hayashi has led us all to believe, but Sigma uses self shadowing and the lighting effects are clearly much improved... ...how else would you attribute Sigma' s visual superiority over the ex-box original?...

Err, I' m pretty sure Team Ninja/Tecmo have been using the same engine since DOA2. They' ve just rehashed it numerous times and added minor updates.
...true, but the technique seems to work pretty well seeing how well their titles outshine almost every other game released on the same format(S)... ... although i agree that PS3 titles like DMC4 could put a stop to their graphical domination.... ...maybe..

Xbox 360' s ability to render Xbox games in HD resolutions makes Sigmas graphical short falling ever more noticeable, because Ninja Gaiden/Black looks better than most 360 games when played in 720p.

....see that earlier mentioned comparison vid...

The Models aren' t bad at all, but the rest is pretty " meh" .

...yeah, overall it does seem pretty under-whelming as Nitro said.... ...but i guess that' s because we aren' t seeing a completely new game, just a revamped one...

btw, save your self some swear words and don' t bother trying to stream that GameVideo HD comparison
Nitro

RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 24, 2007 00:39

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

....see that earlier mentioned comparison vid...

Holy shit!

I' m lost for words. I didn' t realize that the difference was so big. When i watched the videos from yesterday for the first time i wasn' t impressed. I play NGB quite often and i honestly didn' t see the differences being that big.

I think perhaps i was subconsciously comparing it to other next gen titles as my expectations have been raised. If you know what i mean

Watching them side by side, i' m actually really impressed now. I mean some of the indoor environments look bland but the outdoor stuff looks fantastic. It doesn' t look as nice as DMC4 though which is a shame.

Thanks for the link Bish.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Ninja Gaiden ∑ gameplay trailer - Mar 24, 2007 10:39
..yeah, people tend to take the graphical quality of Team Ninja titles for granted these days i think... ..it' s no surprise that without the comparison video people would feel unimpressed with sigma visually, but' s that' s kinda their own fault for producing such a totally awesome looking original ex-box title.....

..btw, the Rachel portion of the game is growing on me, a lot... ...Hayashi just needs to tweak her animations as the seem slightly off, but i like the look of her overall gameplay... ...i think her final build will make a nice contrast to Ryu' s slick ninja moves..

< Message edited by Bishonen -- 24 Mar 07 2:49:59 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread