Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Violent christian gaming?
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
Violent christian gaming? - Dec 27, 2006 12:15
Browsing CNN, I came across a story about Left Behind: Eternal forces.
Evidently theres some people who have a problem with the theme of the game, saving that it essentially promotes religious violence.

I haven' t played the game or read the books it' s based on. I prefer my entertainment to be propaganda free. So really, I couldn' t care less about the game.

What interest me is the developer' s response to the criticism. They honestly don' t understand why people have a problem with it. http://www.leftbehind.com/channelnews.asp?pageid=1322&channelID=17
Now, I' m a little rusty on the whole christian thing, but isn' t killing people supposed to be wrong under ANY circumstances? Something about turn the other cheek.

Quote:
" The result is a game that is beautifully rendered, clearly carries our message (indeed, we have already heard of one young man who has become a believer through playing it), is strategic rather than only warfare based, and is no more violent than the Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers episodes I grew up watching. Unlike typical video games that show buckets of blood and flying body parts, victims shot in our game fall in a puff of smoke."

So now there' s some guy out there that has been converted to christianity by a game that says that the enemies of Christ sometimes have to be shot
(puff of smoke or not, you still shot somebody)...and if you pray, God will forgive you. It' s ok to kill a few folks if you have a good christian reason for it.

Yeah...that' s a healthy way to step into spirituality.

I know the game is based on a fiction, and the theme is undoubtedly more complex than I can understand without reading the material. However I think that religion and violence should never be mixed in a videogame and promoted for impressionable teens.

Thoughts?
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 27 Dec 06 6:46:30 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread