Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Anyone with any experience in boxing?
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 12, 2009 19:17
I'm thinking about getting myself into it mainly to get my lazy ass in shape and maybe some discipline or something. 've looked around at a few locations, but really don't know what to be looking for in terms of training/fees and what not.
This places is the closest decent looking location, but there's  quite a few options out there.
http://www.uppercutgym.com/home.cfm

Any bit of info and advice is much appreciated.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 12, 2009 23:29
I used to just check out local places that had flyers up - boxing, circuit training, mixed martial arts...  Gerenally paid about a £3-5 for a 1-2 hour session.   Recently found a nice place/dojo hidden away run by an old Japanese master and photos of the same place from the 70s, which gave it a cool sense of history. :P

Some places were more dodgy than others - didn't want to go just to get beaten up heh.  Best places were at my local university who catered for non-students too.

The way I see it though, if you can really be arsed to get into shape, then its easiest/cheapest to just go out for runs or play sport with friends.  Gyms are a waste of time and generally extortionate, especially if you rarely go and end up paying every month!

Difficult to find time these days, but just started playing football (or soooaacceeer as you guys might call it!) every week after work on a Thursday.  You know that feeling after a game and its been a long time since you played last, when you get an aching muscle in some random part of you, where you didn't think you would even need one?  Strangely satisfying.

Theres a nice 5-a-side outdoor pitch nearby at the local college - 20 or 30 quid for 1-2 hours, but split between 10 people and its not much.
<message edited by choupolo on May 12, 2009 23:32>
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 13, 2009 12:33
Team sports are a good way to get in shape - a bunch of people yelling at you to come to training every week sure beats some self-imposed exercise regime. Personally I just jog though. Life's too full of excitements to waste it on keeping fit ;)

I did Kung-Fu for a year during my BA, and can corroborate choupolo's point that university classes are often the best, both in terms of the clientele not being a bunch of psychos and the teachers having decent accreditation.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 13, 2009 18:00
Be a man, join the military.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 15, 2009 06:29
I used to box with people in my high school P.E. class back in the day. We had a cocaine addict for a teacher and he would get bored and tell us to box. I was pretty beast at it considering I had longer arms than all the other people, including the black kids. From what I can tell its all about arm reach, endurance, and speed, not so much training. 
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 15, 2009 16:20
mastachefbkw
I was pretty beast at it considering I had longer arms than all the other people, including the black kids.

Racism, in my Kikizo?
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 16, 2009 16:49
immortaldanmx

mastachefbkw
I was pretty beast at it considering I had longer arms than all the other people, including the black kids.

Racism, in my Kikizo?

Nah, I contacted the BBFC about it and they told me those black kids were actually white.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Anyone with any experience in boxing? - May 17, 2009 18:06

Nah, I contacted the BBFC about it and they told me those black kids were
actually white.

?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages