Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 IGN' s MotorStorm Review
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 01, 2007 19:56
Can be found here
Cool! Maybe I should get a PS3 after all?
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 01:29
I thought you were getting one with a buddy?

It' s a shame they didn' t add more modes the way I and many others thought they should have. If they had, and had done it properly, the game could have gotten a 9.5 I would think. However, if they had to decide between getting Online done, or more offline modes, I would choose online, for a racing game, its awfully important.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 02:06
Yeah seems the lack of tracks/modes really hurt the review. I am still getting it, just hope i enjoy it as otherwise it' s gonna be a blu-ray month
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 03:29
A short review, should have talked about online more.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 04:26
It looks like a lot of fun, but the limited number of tracks makes me wonder if they are holding back a bunch of tracks that have already been made, and are planning on selling them later on.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 04:41
From my experience, most off-road games have fairly few maps, and those that have many, tend to be of poor quality. This makes no excuse for Motorstorm, but I say this because, for me, I would prefer a smaller number of very well designed and polished maps(which according to the review is what Motorstorm offers.) rather than a large amount of mediocre ones.

A large part of previous off-road games never really getting me excited was the lack of good map design. After all, racing car sims generally have good real life models of tracks to either base their tracks off, or copy completely. Off road map design has far more variables, each car slides more than on tarmac so the course must be wide, but not so wide that it seems too open, and eliminates the thrill. The bumps and rough terrain can greatly increase turning radius' and make the experience too unpredictable if not done right, and balancing different types of vehicles competing in the same race produces all sorts of issues on its own.

I really hope that there is continued development for tracks released over the PSN, and I would imagine a large part of this happening would be sales numbers. If motorstorm has high sales, I' m sure Sony would push for online content. I seem to recall someone talking about it in an interview, and mentioning that they have idea' s for online content, but really can' t say anything yet because they need to see how the game is received. I have always hoped for the online revolution to usher in a new era of racing games. Before, you were stuck with what you bought at the store, but now, there are so many possibilities for game designers to improve and add to their game over time.
Zoy

RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 04:53
I' m sure it will be one of the best-selling PS3 games... the problem is the bottleneck of a lagging adoption rate for the PS3 itself.

I have always hoped for the online revolution to usher in a new era of racing games. Before, you were stuck with what you bought at the store, but now, there are so many possibilities for game designers to improve and add to their game over time.

Pardon my off-topic drift, but I' ve often wished for some sort of universal racing game system in which courses could be designed by independent developers all over the place. I' m thinking of serious development teams with the ability to include unique assets, not some sort of ' map editor' construction kit with a set of pre-made assets. I' ve wanted this because we always seem to be stuck racing in the same dozen or so locations -- just a few of the major cities of the world. But I would love to see fairly accurate representations of some of the smaller cities that nevertheless have very cool street layouts. And there could be some way to connect maps -- for example, some team models the east side of a city, while another team models the west side. With a consistent scale, they could be connected and then the gamer could download both and they could connect through some kind of streaming engine. Of course there are big logistical design hurdles and probably insurmountable legal issues with an idea like this...
< Message edited by Zoy -- 1 Mar 07 20:54:58 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 04:59
If you mean a multiplatform title which allowed online play between formats, that allready exists... and allowed play between mac, PC and Dreamcast... (mac gets a little m due to its uselessness as a gaming platform) anyone guess what it was without googling?!
Zoy

RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 05:05
No, I mean something more like a high-quality title like Motorstorm or PGR which has an open system for track development from independent development teams. Then the tracks could be sold for a buck or so a piece.

I am curious about the title you' re talking about, though.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 1 Mar 07 21:05:49 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: IGN' s MotorStorm Review - Mar 02, 2007 05:33
Well quake has to be my guess one of the few dc online titles people played

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages