Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 03:53
KOTAKU says
" President of Famitsu publisher Enterbrain Hirokazu Hamamura not only predicts 30 million DSes sold by 2009, but also shows figures that indicate something like 67 percent of Japanese Wii owners are not using the Wii console recently. Which probably means people bought the Wii and Wii Sports, played it until they got sick of it and have returned to their DSes."
Source

IGN says
" It' s not all good news for Nintendo, though. Hamamura noted that the Wii hasn' t seen a second big hit at the level of Wii Sports, and cited figures that suggest 67% of Wii owners haven' t used the system of late."
Source
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 17 Oct 07 19:55:28 >
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 09:46
The beginning of the end? Or merely the end of the beginning? Is Wii on its last legs? Or are legs on their last Wii? Etc.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 11:50
Simply a result of the Wii' s average quality library.

It will improve when more quality titles are released for the Wii with Nintendo leading the way with 3rd party developers (hopefully) following.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 12:04

The Wii' s library is not average. Its poor. The ps3 is average at best. The Xbox 360' s is good, none are great at this point, but the 360 is close, and the ps3 should be there in early 2008.

Zelda, Metroid and Mario don' t make an average library, they are great games without a doubt, but 3 titles isn' t enough to buy a system over. At least with the 360 and ps3 you get a multitude of good shared platform games, and at least 3 great exclusives.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 12:33

ORIGINAL: Terrak

It will improve when more quality titles are released for the Wii with Nintendo leading the way with 3rd party developers (hopefully) following.

Nah, the gimmick is running out of time.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 13:59

3 titles isn' t enough to buy a system over.

I' d buy a system for 3 good titles. Hopefully it' d have more, but if I enjoyed the games and I couldn' t get them any other way, then I don' t mind having the console just for them. This goes for any console and is pretty much why I have almost every console ever made (except for the Atari stuff).
Terrak

RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 14:05

ORIGINAL: Dagashi

The Wii' s library is not average. Its poor. The ps3 is average at best. The Xbox 360' s is good, none are great at this point, but the 360 is close, and the ps3 should be there in early 2008.

Zelda, Metroid and Mario don' t make an average library, they are great games without a doubt, but 3 titles isn' t enough to buy a system over. At least with the 360 and ps3 you get a multitude of good shared platform games, and at least 3 great exclusives.

Fair enough, depending on POV the Wii library (currently)can be considered poor. However you wrongly assume thats all that the Wii has to offer? Thats merely the beginning. Sure the 360 and ps3 have excellent titles coming soon and in the future, but to believe that the Wii' s list of quality library is limited to the ' big 3' is rather biased if i say so myself. The quality titles will come. With Nintendos big 3 leading the way combined with continued strong sales i will have no doubt this ' gaming drought' as it has been come to known as will end by this time next year.

Remember the Wii doesn' t need games like MGS4 or Halo 3, mega hit games like that to be successful (though they would no doubt be welcome). It needs games that display what sets the Wii apart from its rivals. First we had Wii sports, a true system seller that introduced motion controls and how they can be used in games. Next we had Metriod Prime 3 displaying how the Wiimote improves FPS gaming. I' m sure SM:Galaxy will do the same for its genre, and even sports titles like PES for Wii show promise. Uniqueness is the key to Wiis success.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 14:15

ORIGINAL: emofag

Nah, the gimmick is running out of time.

QFT
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 14:54
I' m not saying it will never have a good library, just that as of now, the library is poor. I' m sure that will change, but as I said, as of now, I still don' t see the big reason to buy one if you have a gamecube already. The only great titles you would be missing out on would be Mario and Metroid. Whereas, if you don' t own a ps3, or a 360, you are missing out on 8 or more great games.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 15:27

First we had Wii sports, a true system seller that introduced motion controls and how they can be used in games. Next we had Metriod Prime 3 displaying how the Wiimote improves FPS gaming

Wii Sports was a system because you got it when you got the Wii, we cant know how it would sell if it wasnt bundled with it.

I bet a lot of the Wii consoles are sitting in family sitting rooms and not in the kids room. Games like Metroid wont sell alot to that crowd. I dont know, i still think SMG, while a great game will have poor sales, not sure why, i guess its just a bad feeling. I hope it does well though!
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 15:58
You are playing Wii? I always thought it was jsut flailing your arms around.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 16:21

The quality titles will come. With Nintendos big 3 leading the way combined with continued strong sales i will have no doubt this ' gaming drought' as it has been come to known as will end by this time next year.

It' s October 2007. Wii was released almost exactly 11 months ago. This time next month it' s a year old - and you' re talking about the " drought" ending this time next year?

I' d be sickened by your loyalty but i actually think you' re just as pissed off with Nintento as the rest of us, ...but you' ve taken so much shit for supporting Wii from the very beginning that you' re simply refusing to concede that the console isn' t all it' s cracked up to be.

4 months after 360 was released it was getting excellent 3rd party games - and it had a strong launch lineup anyway.

PS3 was released around the same time as Wii (but not worldwide) with a poor launch lineup (Virtua Fighter and Resistance being the only good games) and stupid pricetag. However, while Sony have had it rough, their console has gotten far more and far better 3rd party titles than Wii.

It' s now the biggest time of the year for this industry and Sony are finally rolling out their first 2nd generation titles (akin to 360' s Gear of War) and before Christmas PS3 will have a " good" software library as opposed to a currently " average" software library.

Wii' s 3rd party software is coming and some of it looks fantastic (No More Heroes) but it' s not enough.

Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 18, 2007 22:35
I am not surprised at all by this news. I rarely play my Wii anymore. I have always been a fan of Nintendo consoles but the Wii is the biggest disappointment so far. There is only soo much shite a person can take.

i still think SMG, while a great game will have poor sales, not sure why, i guess its just a bad feeling. I hope it does well though!

No way, Mario Galaxy will sell very well. It already has high preorder figures with 400,000 in America alone.
< Message edited by Duffman -- 18 Oct 07 17:25:49 >
gamer4eva

• Total Posts : 104
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 00:36
Smash Bothers Brawl will out sell any 360 or ps3 title eventually.

then you have Wifit that should break records all over.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 00:53

ORIGINAL: gamer4eva

No.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 01:21
i hope WiiFit fails miserably. It wont sell that great, but it wont sell bad either im afraid!
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 01:23

Smash Bros selling more than GTAIV and Halo3! Not a chance!
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 02:08

Wii' s 3rd party software is coming and some of it looks fantastic (No More Heroes) but it' s not enough.

I was just watching some trailers that I hadn' t seen yet on gametrailers.com. I wonder if the game will be as story-driven as Killer7.
Terrak

RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 08:57

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

First we had Wii sports, a true system seller that introduced motion controls and how they can be used in games. Next we had Metriod Prime 3 displaying how the Wiimote improves FPS gaming

Wii Sports was a system because you got it when you got the Wii, we cant know how it would sell if it wasnt bundled with it.

I bet a lot of the Wii consoles are sitting in family sitting rooms and not in the kids room. Games like Metroid wont sell alot to that crowd. I dont know, i still think SMG, while a great game will have poor sales, not sure why, i guess its just a bad feeling. I hope it does well though!

Wiisports SOLD the Wii period. Without it being bundled i don' t beleive it would have been as successful as it was today. In Japan which Wiisports was not bundled it almost had a 1:1 attach rate, which speaks volumes to its appeal. I can' t say much for Metroid Prime 3 sales, i think they will be strong, not spectacular but strong. Its not even out in Europe (& Australia) so we won' t know how it appeals to entire the Wii crowd. As for Mario Galaxy, don' t you worry, its perfectly suited to the Wii Audience (IMO).

You are playing Wii? I always thought it was jsut flailing your arms around.

Now you doing that gear as well?

It' s October 2007. Wii was released almost exactly 11 months ago. This time next month it' s a year old - and you' re talking about the " drought" ending this time next year?

To clarify my point, by the ending of the drought what was meant was the end of a persistent drought (were games releases are few and far between). Next year i believe that the Wii will have so many games available (varying in quality obviously) that we will not have long periods of gaming drought like this again, and there is evidence of a significant increase in 3rd party support

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17709

I can understand that many will say that the quality of the games are questionable. Which is why i subscribe to the quantity over quality theory (in the case of the Wii). I consider the quantity over quality theory as like the concept of the shot gun. Sure when you fire a shot gun most of the pellets miss their mark, but because there are so many of them (shotgun pellets), the chances of hitting the target is increased. Same concept applies for the Wii. The more games that ' hit' the console the more chances of getting a quality title that hit the mark so to speak. Its not the most ideal situation but the end result is still the same. You just have to be more wary of the shovel ware.

I' d be sickened by your loyalty but i actually think you' re just as pissed off with Nintento as the rest of us, ...but you' ve taken so much shit for supporting Wii from the very beginning that you' re simply refusing to concede that the console isn' t all it' s cracked up to be.

I am dissappointed, i' ve made it clear i have not had much reason to play the Wii for a while (thank goodness for my PC!). However the way i see it, without my Point Of View and a few others (namely Virtua) this forum would cease to be multiplatform. I just want to show a different perspective. Thats all. Its not like this site is Pro Nintendo or something, or all that is posted is Pro Nintendo. Infact it could easily be concluded that the opposite true. How can you be sickened by the opinions of a minority? BTW my loyalty has its limits too. I explained that i don' t own a DS, & i abandoned the GC after 2 years because of its small library of games. I think they have done enough with the Wii for me to give them a chance.

I will not concede the Wii is ' not all thats its cracked up to be' simply because not enough time has been given to it. However it has showed promise in many areas. Metroid Prime 3 was the first example of how the Wiimote radically changes (and argueably improves) FPS control, and the promise of new and interesting ways to interact in sports titles (Wiisports gave a small glimpse and PES for Wii shows the potential for Wiimote controls). I' m sure new and interesting ways to use the Wiimote will surface if sufficient time and effort are given.

4 months after 360 was released it was getting excellent 3rd party games - and it had a strong launch lineup anyway.

PS3 was released around the same time as Wii (but not worldwide) with a poor launch lineup (Virtua Fighter and Resistance being the only good games) and stupid pricetag. However, while Sony have had it rough, their console has gotten far more and far better 3rd party titles than Wii.

I agree with this statement. However the ps3' s better 3rd party support has more to do with the outstanding success of the ps2 then anything about the ps3 itself, just as the poor 3rd party support for the Wii (currently) can be attributed to the failure of the GC. With the unexpected reversal of fortunes its understadable why developers are so slow to jump on the Wii bandwagon (ontop of focusing on motion controls and limiting the Wiis graphical capabilities amongst other things), and why ps3 still enjoys solid 3rd party support (even though at the moment it is in the same position the GC was). Things would probably been very different had the GC not come last in the previous generation.

I still maintain that the Wii still has time to prove its worth. Latest reports indicate that despite the phenomena known as Halo 3 being released, which some have even blamed for poor box office movie sales, The Wii was not far behind the 360 in console sales in the US (look it up yourself, i' m not posting). While the Wii sales remains solid it still remains relevent on the console market.

EDIT: Quez has kindly posted these figures for your view pleasure.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 19 Oct 07 3:23:41 >
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Japan: The Wii is selling, but does anyone play it? - Oct 19, 2007 11:44
On the thing about 3rd party support I am wondering how the cost relations are. If you got a game for XBox 360 (and maybe PC, too) what does cost more? Develop it from scratch for Wii or port it to PS3? Because I think that might be another factor why the PS3 still got good 3rd party support, compared to Wii.

As for your point of view I think that you are maybe assessing us wrongly. As soon as games like Mario Galaxy or SSBB(or even MP3, when it' s released in Europe) hit the shelves I believe we will see enough praise in here. You shouldn' t forget that there are enough Wii owners in here. As soon as Nintendo gives us reasons to be less critical, we will.

And finally, I am not doing that gear. I just wanted to be called a waste of skin by Majik ;(
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message