Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 05, 2006 22:20
Are you still interested?

It was originally set for release shortly after HL2 but repeatedly slipped and then fell completely off the grid until THQ picked it up. Now it' s set for release in March 2007, but are you still intereted in the game?

I' m still interested in the concept and the game does still look pretty nice. It has aged though and Valves improvements to the source engine (higher resolution textures and HDR lighting etc) really make that obvious.

I' m sceptical about the games framerate though as the world is supposedly as large as Oblivions and much of the game world is made up of outdoor areas. I think that for the game to have to kind of affect it was originally would have had it needs to be superbly optimized and have great online features, OR have amazing AI.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R (official website)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 05, 2006 22:32
Iv been interested in it in the beginning, but im not sure anymore, ill wait on reviews, but an FPS RPG sounds good!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 05, 2006 22:38
I think the dev team behind Stalker bit off more than they could chew at first. That' s why it slipped so far back - almost to the point of it becoming vaporware! It' s nearly 3 years late. I remember reading that the AI was one of the reasons why it was delayed.

It' s definitely ambitious but I was never too hyped about it - even when I first heard about the game, it didn' t grab me too much. I hope it does turn out fantastic, or else all that effort will be for very little.

Nitro

RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 05, 2006 22:43

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Iv been interested in it in the beginning, but im not sure anymore, ill wait on reviews,

Exactly. Look at what happened to Daikatana. It ended up being rubbish because it was delayed for so long. If it' d been released at the same time as Quake II it would have made much more of an impact. Then there' s Duke Nukem Forever which may or may not ever see release, but if it does, may or may not be any good.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R was destined to be huge but now who knows. It' s being released around when HL2 Ep2 is due out so it' ll probably get completely overshadowed. I wonder...
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 05, 2006 22:47

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Then there' s Duke Nukem Forever

I still laugh whenever I hear " DNF" . Even if it was released tomorrow, I couldn' t take it seriously enough to enjoy it. How many years of dev time has it been so far? Eight, Nine?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 06, 2006 05:05
I' m still waiting for STALKER as well. Has the potential to be great. Being based on chernobyl I' m sure they can get tonnes of atmosphere in there. And their website has loads of creative input on it re: characters, music and story. It' d be great if they got some of that in there.

On the other hand it could end up an out-dated, inferior copy of Oblivion.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 5 Oct 06 21:06:07 >
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 06, 2006 07:10
This is IF it ever comes out; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. forever!
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 06, 2006 20:26
I mixed up between S.T.A.L.K.E.R and F.E.A.R
I hate my bad memory!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 06, 2006 20:43
One is spelt S.T.A.L.K.E.R the other is spelt F.E.A.R.......

Seriously...
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 02:40
Both have dots between letters.
Nitro

RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 02:54
IGN posted a STALKER update the day after i started this thread. Obviously they are watching the King with their evil eyes!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 03:37

IGN posted a STALKER update the day after i started this thread. Obviously they are watching the King with their evil eyes!

One day Kikizo will have a freak accident and all our posts will get reset to zero...

What will happen to your self-assessed title then?
Nitro

RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 06:12

ORIGINAL: Tiz

One day Kikizo will have a freak accident and all our posts will get reset to zero...

What will happen to your self-assessed title then?

Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 07:00
What games show Valve' s " improvements" to the Source engine? I played HL2 like 2 years ago, I just got the F.E.A.R. demo on XBL which from what I understand, FEAR also uses the source engine and it looks exactly the same as HL2.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 7 Oct 06 23:01:15 >
Nitro

RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 07:07
Nah, FEAR uses Monoliths Lithtech engine. Bt yeah, t does look like HL2.

After HL2 was released, they put together a single level tech demo called ' Lost Coast' which featured more detailed, higher resolution textures, HDR lighting and better particle effects. All of that stuff is available in EP1 and they' re adding more stuff for EP2 and 3.

Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 07:31
Intriguing.

I assume that those expansion make the original have HDR lighting and better textures too?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 08:02
Im confused about this game i thought it had come out a while ago. Now I think Im mixing up games...is this the same STALKER game with the subtitle Shadow of Chernoyble?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Oct 08, 2006 11:00
Heh, yea. It was meant to come out around 3 years ago, but kept getting delayed. Now the release date is march 07, but I' ve completely lost faith! [:' (]

And they never incorporated the HDR into the original half-life 2 (even though they planned to initially) claiming that it would alter the experience for the worse. Episode 1 looked great though. There were just no questions answered about the story... which hardly got anywhere in hl2 anyway!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll