Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Progressive Scan PS2 help
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 03:40
Hey, Don' t know if it' s ok to post this here, but I' ve looked around the net and never found an answer only the same question, so I' ll pitch it here...

When i switch a compatible game or dvd to progressive and all menus and cables are correct the PS2 fails to display the game correctly.
The boot screen flickers or has no signal at all as with dvds, and games in progressive display, what is the top right corner of the screen, in the bottom left... the rest is black. (Back in 480i works fine).
Really wanted to get to play my ps2 games in pro scan and any help would be great.

PS2 is progressive scan compatible (v9, Aqua)
LCD HDTV,
Previously a CRT (480p/525p compatible)
Component cable (from Game)
All menus set up correctly.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 05:42
Not all games support Progresive scan.I know that Tekken 4 does.
Anyway find Joe Redifier and PM him - he' s always talking about his Ultimaate TV and how he plays in Progressive scan :)
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 06:11
Hmm, maybe the cable is buggered. Have you tried another component cable. Arent the Monster one' s meant to be the best? They' re the most expensive at least!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 08:54
I' ve never used the PS2 for DVDs nor do I care to, but with a lot of games you must hold TRIANGLE + X while the game is booting (start holding them when you see Playstation 2 on the screen). You will then come to a menu asking if you want progressive scan. Other games have the selection right in the options screen, like God o' War. There are a couple caveats, though:

1. Very few PS2 games support progressive scan. Check out www.hdtvarcade.com for a definititive list.

2. If you live in Europe and have a PAL system, games are even less likely to support progressive scan. Why? Everyone hates PAL, that' s why. Seriously.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 20 Feb 06 0:54:56 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 09:39

Everyone hates PAL, that' s why. Seriously.

At least we get decent [if not the best] cover art and bug-free [ish] games compared you guys!
Joe Redifer

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 10:58
I don' t know about the cover art since I' ve never researched the issue, but as far as bug free that' s because your games come out 2 to 3 years after they do here!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 18:20
Joe is right - everyone hates us - we don' t even get some games that they get and what we get is so much more expensive.

Shit :(

Thankfully we can import.
uumai

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 18:43
Thanks for your replies,

My PS2 is PAL, but modded, I' ve tried Gof of War (usa) via it' s menu, Jack 3 (usa)via the triangle and X,but all the times the top right of the screen displays in the bottom left corner..
Not sure if the cable is at fault, but I' ve heard of other people with the problem, and don' t really want to buy a new cable if it' s not the problem... it didn' t work from straight away, but in 480i games (only) it' s fine.

I used to use that hdarcade list... but all the games i have don' t work, shadow of the collosus too :(

Thanks.

< Message edited by uumai -- 20 Feb 06 10:50:07 >
Joe Redifer

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 18:53
Try getting a real NTSC PS2. You can' t trust something that runs in PAL. You just can' t!
uumai

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 20, 2006 19:00
LOL... I was at first wondering if the pro scan is just defective on the model, I found other people asking about it online with no answers to their questions.

I' m not rich enough to warrent buying another ps2 (this is my second, i got it for the new colour, and quieter running) just for pro scan... Guess I' ll have to wait for my ps3 i to experience it...

Unless they take it out of the PAL system, ha wouldn' t be the first time they stop us using something already in place. PAL xbox no HD options, ps2, not supported in earlier versions, games rarely support it.

Well i hope at least the ps3 will have a 60hz selection built in like the GC and Xbox.
Joe Redifer

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 21, 2006 08:56
Well before you give up on everything, ask around on the forums at http://www.hdtvarcade.com and they' ll likely point you in the right direction. This place is dedicated to gaming in better-than-480i.
uumai

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Feb 21, 2006 19:51
Thanks, i' ll try that
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 11, 2006 09:47
It sounds to me as if it' s one of two things. The cable is duff (you really should pay the extra and get the official Sony one) or your TV doesn' t support 480p or whatever form of component your PS2 is trying to output (do any games support PAL progressive?)

EDIT: You say your PS2 is modded. That' s probably the problem. Do you know which modchip you' ve got installed? I know that with the earlier modchips such as the Messiah that due to the green screen fix (for running DVD' s through RGB) they won' t output anything in component.

Joe

About half of all PS2 games have an option to either run in PAL or in NTSC. It should be 100% but it' s better than nothing. Buying either a modded console or a US one is the way to go though.
< Message edited by gossi_the_dog -- 11 Mar 06 1:51:56 >
Phoenix87

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 01:28

Try getting a real NTSC PS2. You can' t trust something that runs in PAL. You just can' t!

That' s just a load of bull....

PAL is pretty much kicking NTSC ass... higher resolution, less jaggies..
smoother playback (atleast on dvd)

Joe Redifer

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 01:31
The resolution increase is negligible and movies are SPED UP by a frame a second to match PAL. It is not the movie' s real speed and yes, 1 frame does make a difference. PAL is going away with the advent of HDTV anyway, and framerates of 24, 30, and 60 will be standard, not 25. And since most games are produced for NTSC it is PAL that ends up getting the shaft.

Anyway I think I may have posted this before (too lazy to check), but make sure the component setting in your PS2 is set to Y, Cb, Cr (or similar) and NOT R,G,B,H,V.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12 Mar 06 17:33:27 >
Phoenix87

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 01:37

The resolution increase is negligible

NOT if you run on it in Widescreen, then theres a pretty big difference.

Well, WOHOO! HDTV for everyone! I hope you buy me one soon Joe
Joe Redifer

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 02:10
PAL is only better in the vertical dimension (ie: it has more visable horizontal lines). 576 vs NTSC' s 480. They both have the same amount of maximum horizontal pixels... 720. So a 4:3 PAL screen would be 720x576 and a 4:3 NTSC screen would be 720x480. Widescreen simply stretches that. The resolutions are the same in widescreen as they are in 4:3, therefore any difference in widescreen PAL movies would be the same as the difference in 4:3 PAL; 96 horizontal lines. When it all comes down to it, both NTSC and PAL are the same. They both pump out the same number of pixels per second (20,736,000). PAL = 720x576x50 and NTSC = 720x480x60. They both have the exact same bandwidth.

HDTV is another story as they have true 16:9 resolutions. I do have an HDTV here for you but you need to come and pick it up.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12 Mar 06 18:13:36 >
uumai

RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 02:56
Well... as for the problem update.

I have a ghost2 modchip.
I disabled green fix and it sorted out the flickering image when running the ps2 through component.
However the screen still forces to the bottom left of the screen only the top right portion visable.

HDTVarcade' s forum haven' t been able to help, i asked on my modchip forum but not a single reply. and Also on answerbag.com... still nothing... I guess progressive scan wont hit me until i run a next-gen system
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 08:18
It sounds to me as if your TV isn' t compatible with the form of progressive scan that your PS2 is outputting. Check to see if your TV can handle 480p (the most common form of prog scan on PS2 games).
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Progressive Scan PS2 help - Mar 13, 2006 08:48

Try getting a real NTSC PS2

yes, you can never beat good old fashioned American Workmanship!

.... wait a minute
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread