Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Picked Up Mercenaries
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 14, 2005 15:34
All I can say is it is by far one of the best games I have ever played (almost) The Map is massive (I havent even unlocked it all) The the ways you can do missions is full of variety. Graphics are top notch and unexpected for a game this size, very lil popup except when yer in a helicopter but it isnt enuff to throw off the game. This game is the only game to have gotten me off of my Xbox live. Also its so easy to just pickup and play, nothin complicated at all. I suggest most ppl pick this up if yer either a fan of Ghost Recon 2, GTA, Battlefield 1942.

I just blew up my first building, by using a bunker buster. It was cool first the planes flew over then I saw a small explosion on the side of thius massive building. I was a lil annoyed thinkin i had to spend more money to take this building down, then suddenly the screen flashes and a HUGE explosion erupts form inside the building bringing the whoel thing down and killing most of the ground troups near it. A great way to start off 2005 gaming.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 14, 2005 16:13
I played a demo and at first wasn' t impressed... I was just running round shooting people. It' s only towards the end of the demo I realised I could hi-jack cars and even a helicopter. Suddenly the scope of the game was revealed to me. With the bunker buster I was stood a fair distance away from the target building and aimed. The bomb landed with a bit of a splutter before a massive wave of explosion sent debris flying everywhere… a barrel knocking down my character. A wave of after-explosion killed my dude instantly.

Suddenly I’m interested in picking this up…
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 14, 2005 17:48
My fiancee asked me if I wanted this game, when the first commercials came out.

I originally said " naw" ...

But after reading the pre-/reviews and viewed the pics, I can only say this..." when I get my tax $$, Mercenaries is mine!

Love the mix between GTA and Halo-like (or, insert your game choice here) action!!!

When you get to play a bit more, would you write your personal thoughts and impressions for those of us interested enough to read your words of enlightenment?

I thank you in advance...
Mass X

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 14, 2005 19:23
I' ll try my best when I get further DaRoosh :)

Another cool thing is you can litterally blow up nething. I made a new file and put cheat codes on (I usually make a different save game just to mess around in.) And I checked everythign i could blow up...I have yet to find somthing that wont crumble. Buildings, bunkers, bridges, roads dont really get holes in them but they crumble and crack cuzzing quite a few bumps. The effects for everthing is also quite amazing.

Theres so much variety in this game, also you can unlock Indeana Jones and Han Solo!
< Message edited by Mass X -- 1/14/2005 7:23:37 PM >
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 15, 2005 18:57
I played it a little before I bought Resident Evil 4. I guess I didn' t get far enough to do any cool things. I just mainly ran around and blew stuff up.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 16, 2005 09:20
Awesome! I am definitely going to pick-up Mercenaries asap. I' ve been so absorbed in Morrowind lately, I' ve barely come up for air (even the kids are hooked).
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 31, 2005 10:44
Picked up Mercenaries...

Between the ease of gameplay, and the fact that I have torn into everyone' s arse (except the Mafia), I have yet to find a boring moment in this game!

I have set C4 on a railroad bridge only to watch it collapse upon detonation of those explosives, ordered airstrikes to destroy several tall buildings and/or structures, hi-jacked cars/trucks/APC' s/tanks/helicopters, caught 5 or 6 of the ' deck of 52' , and pretty much used or destroyed anything I wanted to.

I have read that some gamers claim to have completed Mercenaries in about 20 hours. That' s crazy! Those players must have rushed right through to the end to finish in that timeframe!

I have played for about 8 hours, and can say that I am not even 10% through the game. There' s just so much to have fun with, that to rush through this game would be a monumental waste!

The cut-scenes are humorous...like the North Korean HQ funded by an American contact. The American looks like he' s doing well - big round belly and all - but accompanied by a NK Commander who will give you the details of your next mission.

The Mafia cut-scenes are as you would expect...they love you, will pay well, and will provide decent (or better) equipment and intel. Just don' t mess up! I spent 15-30 minutes trying to flip the cargo truck back on its wheels, just so I could drive the truck back to Mafia HQ for the payoff! To finally accomplish my task, I had to hi-jack a city bus and used it to ram into the truck. This action flipped the truck back onto its wheels, and I was able to deliver the truck to the Mafia.

The voice-acting is just awesome and appropriate for each represented nationality/faction. Environmental sounds are quite accurate as well. The back-ground music was hardly noticed, but seemed to be well-suited to each situation.

The graphics are some of the best yet on the XBOX, but there was that time I got a tank stuck between a garden-fence (knee-high) and the limbs of the tree... this was not realistic. To add to the situation, I was actually able to push the tank out of the branches (don' t ask) and free it for more carnage against my foes.

Replay value is off the scales with Mercenaries!!!

My rating of this game is as follows:
Gameplay: 10 - With all the games that need XBL to be considered great titles, Mercenaries accomplishes such greatness as an offline title!!!

Control: 10 - This has to be the easiest game to pick-up and play!

Music: 10 - Everything where it belongs and in perfect quality!

Graphics: 10 - Other than a few minor graphical glitches that pretty much go un-noticed, this is the most flawless title on the XBOX!!!

Replay Value: 10 - At the rate I am playing through this game, I expect to complete this game in no less than 80 hours...there is just that much to explore and do!

Over-all: 10 - Mercenaries has taken the top of my all-time games list by storm! Sorry Halo, but you aren' t even THIS good!!!
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 3 Feb 05 0:02:03 >
Mass X

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Jan 31, 2005 11:49
Ya I havent even unlocked the other map. Plus you can Play as Hon Solo or Indeana Jones and many more unlockables!

I hope this game gets a sequal on the next gen...maybe online to up the ante?

The funniest thing happened in the game tho...I was messing around killing everythign insite and blowing away things, and I guess I wandered into restricted territory cuz an air strike was called onto me. So I left that area just before they started bombing me and climbed up a mountain to get a veiw of my near death, just to get nailed head on by one of the huge (HUGE) ass plane' s wings. This sent me flying to my detah pretty much but before I died I got to see the plane crash and explode into another mountain...none of this stuff is scripted!

I' ve seen a delivery helicopter clip a tree and spiral to its inevitable doom. I strapped C-4 to the hood of my car and drove the death machine into a large group of enemies, jumped out ran a safe distance and blew the whole camp up, the car got some damn good distance also. Which brings up another awsome unscripted event. One of the NKs fired an RPG at me but missed and hit a car behind me which sent the car up into the air right into an enemy helicopter, which spiraled down and crushed me...sad ending but great none the less.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 01, 2005 12:01
i played the deom of it and its grea.im thinking of buying it.thanks for telling that its a great game so im cofident it will be good when i get it
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 02, 2005 14:20

One of the NKs fired an RPG at me but missed and hit a car behind me which sent the car up into the air right into an enemy helicopter, which spiraled down and crushed me...sad ending but great none the less.

Now, that' s awesome!!!

It' s my understanding, from reviews of this game, that the other map will appear when you are done with the first 3 suits of cards and are working on the final suit.

Yesterday, I caught 2 to 3 more of the deck of 52, hi-jacked a second type of copter (I have no idea whose it was...I was just glad to get it!), witnessed my third type of tank which I came in direct conflict with later...let' s just say I died. Also, I transported a counterfeit machine crate for the Mafia, blew up a missile launch site for the SK, and explored the countyside only to discover many hidden encampments...too many to count, and fairly ferocious upon my approach.

Everytime I play Mercenaries, I see and experience so much more than the last time(s).

Let' s see..the factions still angry with me are: NK and Americans/Allies.

I called for the pickup of one of the deck of 52 from a rooftop, and the American chopper showed up with guns ablazin' at me! I promptly used my RPG to down the chopper (I' m sure that' s not good for relations with the allies, but what the hey!)and listened to the sound of it rolling down the angled rooftop - authentic metal-on-metal rolling sounds!!!

I do have one question...I have been informed that I have entered ' restricted airspace' only twice, and have been shot down a split-second later. They sure don' t give a player much time for response, do they? Is there any way to avoid getting shot down after receiving the ' restricted airspace' message?

Even with getting shot down so quickly, I still can say that Mercenaries is my all-time favorite game! Its' THAT good!!!

Good for you, residentevil327! You' ll be amazed at what you see, hear, and experience!!!

< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 3 Feb 05 0:25:36 >
Mass X

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 02, 2005 14:36
Ya those restricted areas are the games ways of setting boundries, its very hard to get out of that, maybe if yo have a car and haul ass...thats probably my only problem with the game and its not really a big problem.

It did however make me mad when I was about to complete a very tough and very lengthy mission when suddenly i slipped out of boundsa dn the mission was failed...at the very last friggen second of it...tears...

Im on the second suit right now and got the Chinese very pissed at me after doing a job for the Mafia and S.K. which involved destroying Chinese weaponry to keep them in check.

Have you used the Bunker Buster yet? got I love that weopon. You' ll need it to get the first Ace.
Sharon

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 02, 2005 20:40
Ahhhhhh! I WANT THIS GAME NOW!
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 03, 2005 11:47

Im on the second suit right now and got the Chinese very pissed at me after doing a job for the Mafia and S.K. which involved destroying Chinese weaponry to keep them in check.

I always seem to P.O. the Chinese...but then I just pay them the bribe $$, and they forgive me...

Have you used the Bunker Buster yet? got I love that weopon. You' ll need it to get the first Ace.

No, I do not have it yet. I still have a ways to go to get the rest of the ' clubs' targets.

Last night I was run over by a Chinese tank, while trying to hi-jack it. The darn tank was in a position where I could not get to that yellow circle for the ' jack' move. And when I did get fairly close, the darn tank turned and ran me over!

That' s OK though...When I re-started, I came back and RPG' d that darn tank, then blew the livin' heck out of everyone and everything that remained!

I did manage to get two more targets from the ' clubs' suit...it is my intention to get all of the ' clubs' targets, before I move on to the next suit (hearts, or maybe diamonds, isn' t it?).

I still hang mostly with the Mafia...they seem to like my character (the American male). Not to mention...they are pretty darn good at backing me up, without getting themselves (or me) killed, in a fight!

A BIG plus there...

I did notice that only the Americans/Allies and Chinese appear to have any work for me at this moment in the game...The failed missile-launcher mission has not hurt my standing with the Mafia, but they stopped having work for me - at least for now, that is.

I did perform one mission for the Chinese, but they seem to dislike my character no matter what I did/do. They act like I am a ' necessary evil' and treat me like a dog. Their attitude may have something to do with my rampage a few nights earlier...I tore them a new one!

I did see my first train, though parked at the station (rather than moving), and promptly destroyed it and the three armored vehicles nearby! Then, I shot all of the soldiers and broke open all the supply crates! Me and my Mafia bretheren left that site and explored the countryside for a while...as the rampage continued...

I hope to pull off a few more missions tonight and maybe capture 1 - 2 more of the ' clubs' targets. Believe it (or not), I have yet to see all of the areas of the main map...now, that does not include those areas that do not show up on the map - you know, those off the road places that you happen into a small-to-large encampment that usually brings goodies (supplies, etc.).

I have three of the monuments destroyed, but quite a few of the national treasures. Maybe I' ll get more of those, too!

Ahhhhhh! I WANT THIS GAME NOW!

Sharon...calm down and get your car keys. Get to your local gamestore, and politely ask the clerk for a copy of Mercenaries. Drive home, and power-up your game system...let everyone (hubby and kids) know that you will be busy for a while.

Once you begin to play, you' ll lose the nice-girl attitude - it will be time to ROCK!!!

You' ll wonder how you ever lived this long without playing this awesome game known as...Mercenaries!!!

Happy gaming!
Sharon

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 03, 2005 12:18
Great advice DaRoosh! Hubby is going away next week-end to a conference and I intend to pick up Mercenaries (Valentine present for moi) and play all week-end, stopping only to give the kids a turn and something to eat
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Feb 07, 2005 07:00
Had to take a break from Mercenaries...it was hard to stop playing, but I just HAD to...it is like an addictive drug in the fact that once you start in on it, you cannot stop yourself...you forget about the world around you and ignore your chores, etc. Sometimes you get grumpy and snap at family members - not even realizing what you' re doing.

With this in mind, I officially announce the Mercenaries Support Group.

Hello. My name is DaRoosh65.

***other members chime in*** " Hi, DaRoosh65"

I am here to announce my addiction to the videogame known as Mercenaries. The game that changed my life...(starts crying here)

***and the story goes on...*** (you get the hint)

Just beware...you may become addicted to this awesomely wonderful game, too!
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Mar 03, 2005 04:56
After my hiatus, I am back playing Mercenaries!

I finally got the Ace of Clubs!!! This was a bit tougher than previous missions, but well worth the extra attention and expended effort!

Can' t seem to bring ' em back alive...mine end up D.O.A.

Just today, I finally got to take control of an allied helicopter. However, at this stage in the game, the anti-aircraft defenses appear to be somewhat better developed...and I got shot down. Probably just need to fly low/under radar to avoid this issue.

Can' t wait to get back to see what happens next!

P.S.: Mass X, I finally got those bunker-busters you spoke of...they are definitely awesome!
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 3 Mar 05 19:25:17 >
LoBo

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Mar 03, 2005 08:50
Thank you all now I have to find time to go out and buy mercs and find time to play it while I got to med school. Think I can do it? Well I guess any gamer can. Game sounds great thanx all for the detailed info!

Hey daroosh have you ever thought of being a journalist for a gaming mag? Great info in your writing!

Bye
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Mar 03, 2005 11:23

Hey daroosh have you ever thought of being a journalist for a gaming mag? Great info in your writing!

Thanks for the compliment, LoBo. And welcome to Kikizo...

Yeah...from time to time. I have had only one solid offer which came at a time that wasn' t so good for me...maybe now that things are better for me, I will accept a good offer.

When I am passionate about something, I can write for days on the subject.

Good luck playing this game...it' s VERY addictive! And a LOT of fun, too!

< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 3 Mar 05 19:27:07 >
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Mar 04, 2005 04:55
I actually caught and delivered 3 of the diamond series targets!!!

Love getting the full $50,000 for all the hard work...

The last of the three was a bit more difficult, since there was this bunker that seemed to keep spewing tanks. I killed off all the ground troops, but those tanks just kept coming!!! Since I had captured (not killed) the target, coupled with the fact that I was low on health, I had to carry the target to safety for pickup.

I could not go back the way I came, since there were ground troops everywhere, so I carried the target over a few very steep hills. One problem...I put the target down just before I slipped down a very steep hill - one I could not get back up.

My remedy: I called for an airdrop of a Hummer 3(yes, I finally found a spot that they would airdrop to me, but my target was still atop the hill). Once I had this bad boy, I was able to climb one of the less steep hills and make my way back around to the target. I picked him up, put him in the H3, and delivered him to where I received the H3. From there, I called for the target pickup and waited... the helicopter came for the pickup, but slammed it' s tail rotor into a large boulder - nearly crashing. Luckily, it was able to recover and complete the target pickup.

You just never know what will happen next...that' s why I like Mercenaries so much!
DaRoosh65

RE: Picked Up Mercenaries - Mar 07, 2005 11:22
I didn' t play much over the weekend, but I did manage to take on a mission where I must eliminate the huge cannons that are bombarding a nearby town (sorry, I forgot which town).

The first time through, I got my rear handed to me on a platter!

Opposition is quite heavy and the enemy AI seems to have bumped-up the difficulty...not to mention that I have never seen so many enemy tanks and troops all in one area! And especially for just one mission objective!!!

And I' m not even half way through the game...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message