Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 08:10
Link from IGN

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/826/826603p1.aspx

That' s not to say Konami has opted to dumb down Pro Evo by making it more accessible to the Wiimote-waving masses. On the contrary, PES2008 on Wii looks every bit as realistic as its hi-def cousins and, if initial thoughts prove right, it could well offer a greater level of control and freedom in terms of gameplay.

The reason for this is that Konami has cleverly used the Nunchuk and Wiimote to enhanced the gameplay experience rather than bolt on some motion-sensing gimmick. Here, the Nunchuk stick is used to move the player around screen and the B button is used to pass. No big deal you may think, but what' s interesting is that the Wiimote appears as a point on the screen, affecting the gameplay in a couple of ways. Firstly, it' s an alternative way of moving your player around the screen - drag the cursor around while holding A and your player will follow the on-screen target. Secondly, the cursor is used to accurately pass the ball, so if you want to thread a looping through ball to a winger (rather than the obvious guy standing nearby) simply move the target over the runner' s head and press pass.

That' s not all. Using the same method, you' re free to pass into space and, from the video we' ve seen), the AI is smart enough to know what you' re doing and latch onto the pass, within reason of course.

The Wiimote comes in really useful during setpieces too because you can ' order' off-the-ball players to make runs. Again, simply click the cursor over their heads and then drag in the direction you want them to run. They' ll then scuttle off, leaving you to knock in a well-weighted ball they can latch on to. There' s no limit to the number of players you can move around either, so there' s no reason why a skilled player couldn' t send one player off on a dummy run while crossing the ball into the path of a player they' ve sent in another direction.

I' ve seen the videos and the amount of control, strategy & precision the Wiimote allows is staggering. Its not 100% perfect but its close & IMO superior to any control scheme a standard controller can dish out. Can you use a standard controller to control ' off-the-ball players' ? can you thread a pass exactly to the player you want instead of passing to the nearest player? i don' t think so. This level of control is unheard of in a soccer game before it, and kudos to Konami for putting some serious effort into a game that will no doubt prove what sets the Wii apart for its HD rivals.

First FPS, and now soccer. And everyone here knows how well soccer games sell.

Wiimote controls allows for dumbed down play only? Nah i don' t think so.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 15 Oct 07 0:27:17 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message