Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Macintosh
PeyloW

• Total Posts : 64
Macintosh - Mar 19, 2003 13:15
Any plans for reporting the somewhat forgotten Mac-games news on Kikizo?

I would lie if I said they where as frequent as PC or console games, but anyone claiming there are none of interest at least every week would lie as well.

Apple' s own online shop has 1409 games currently supported and for sale, so there are games and there sure do come new games in a steady flow. But the sites where news of such are presented are sparse.
BigRedMachine

• Total Posts : 127
RE: Macintosh - Mar 19, 2003 17:34
Wasn' t Starcraft the last game that was released for both PC and Mac?
PeyloW

RE: Macintosh - Mar 20, 2003 15:59

ORIGINAL: BigRedMachine

Wasn' t Starcraft the last game that was released for both PC and Mac?

Ahem... no... tried putting your War Craft 3 CD into a Mac?
BigRedMachine

RE: Macintosh - Mar 21, 2003 15:37
Erm.... No not yet. But I actually don' t know anyone who owns a Mac, so I can' t really tell... My bad!
PeyloW

RE: Macintosh - Mar 22, 2003 10:37

Erm.... No not yet. But I actually don' t know anyone who owns a Mac, so I can' t really tell... My bad!

You should try and find one, because the WarCraft III CD is quite interesting hybrid CD.

Take a look at this screen shot:
[image]http://www.geocities.com/peylow2001/wc3.txt[/image]
Quite simply I have put in the WC3 CD you can buy in any store, it is the same box and Cd for both PC and Mac. Top right under the iManicken icon you see the CD icon as Mac OS X presents it. In the lower left windows titled Warcraft III is how the standard file browser view looks in Mac OS X (Yes it has a faint background image :)). And lower right window titled Warcraft III installer is the games installer for Mac OS X.

Top left is a window titled Virtual PC " WinXP" , this is an emulated PC and within this window you see a Windows XP setup with the same CD inserted. Notice in the top left windows window titled Warcraft III (D:) that a different set of files are present, the support folder are shown for both PC and Mac but system specific files are hidden and shown accordingly. Also notice that for Mac the trailers are put as an option in the installer, PC has a better choice with trailers in a folder I think but at least all resources are available. Also notice in the windows window titled Warcraft III Setup, that apart from the title it is almost identical to the Mac OS X equivalent.

The only real difference is that windows requires Direct X 8.1 and thus has an installer for that if not provided by the OS, whereas the Mac uses the non-proprietary open standard OpenGL API which is always present an all Mac OS X installs and thus takes away one hustle for gamers eager to get started.

Otherwise I must say that Blizzard not only provided a good game with Warcraft III, they also provided an excellent showcase for how unproblematic and transparent a simultaneous PC/Mac release can be done.
BigRedMachine

RE: Macintosh - Mar 22, 2003 16:05
I guess so. I hope for your sake more developers think of the Mac gamers.
Are there any current or coming blockbusters that will also be supported by Mac?
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Macintosh - Mar 22, 2003 18:04
I don' t like Mac' s. We use them at my school and they are annoying. I' d take a PC over a Mac but that' s just me.
BigRedMachine

RE: Macintosh - Mar 23, 2003 13:08
Well, same goes for me. I alsways preferred a PC over a Mac.
I' m just not used to them.
PeyloW

RE: Macintosh - Mar 23, 2003 17:38

I guess so. I hope for your sake more developers think of the Mac gamers.
Are there any current or coming blockbusters that will also be supported by Mac?

I guess Doom III can be considered a blockbuster and it is heading for Mac. Quite possibly a simultaneous release, John Carmac has in his plans files said that not only are PC and Mac version developed in parallel but much of the development is made on Mac. And Doom III was first shown to the public on a macintosh at an Apple SHow in Tokyo.

I also think Halo counts as a blockbuster, the PC and mac versions are developed simultaneous as we speak too.

But most coming games are sadly old PC blockbusters such as Never Winternights, Dungion Siege and the like. But when the market is smaller most companies can not afford to port every game so only the good games guarantied to sell well gets done, they might be late and not quite as many but the overall quality is tenfold :D.
BigRedMachine

RE: Macintosh - Mar 24, 2003 12:40
Nw and DS are both great games, so it' s not really that bad that they only now get released for Mac. I mean, they are a bit dated, but definite classics.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll