Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 26, 2004 05:41
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/245688p-210457c.aspx

In the key of fake

Teen songbird Ashlee Simpson had a microphone malfunction on " Saturday Night Live" last night, scurrying off stage when a production glitch caught her lip-synching the wrong tune.

The pop star, younger sister of singer and TV star Jessica Simpson, sounded great belting out " Pieces of Me" in her first segment on the show. It was the same song that she butchered at August' s MTV Music Video Awards, drawing withering reviews for a flat, out of key performance.

But the triumphant moment turned into a debacle when she came out to debut the song " Autobiography" for a second set. But whoever was responsible for piping in a studio-engineered rendition for Simpson to mouth screwed up, playing " Pieces" once again.

The raven-haired beauty hopped around briefly, then slinked off the stage as her hapless band half-heartedly faked away. It didn' t take long for critics to vent their rage on Ashlee Simpson' s official Web site.

" Finally, you' re exposed for the fraud that you are," wrote an E-mail poster named drdrewby minutes after the embarrassing performance. " You have cheated your fans and people who actually thought that you had a lick of talent. You should quit the music business because you are now and always will be a complete and utter joke."

Said CowboyJeff99: " I knew she sounded like crap live, so I was ' wondering' what was going on when her voice sounded just like the radio edit."

When the cast of the live show came out to bid the audience good night, actor Jude Law tried to explain Simpson' s slipup.

" What can I say folks, live TV," Law shrugged.

A still-humiliated Simpson apologized to her fans - and blamed her band for playing the wrong song.

Apparently this little slip up has caused some waves throughout Simpson' s fanbase. But --

http://video.bmj.net/busted/

Having seen the video it wasn' t as bad as I thought. She was caught lip synching, but that doesn' t prove she can' t prove. Madonna lips synch and she got nominated for " Best Live Performance" . Lip synching is something countless singers have done.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 26, 2004 12:38
Hahaha. Bless her little cotton socks. But she should really have been singing live anyway. I' ve no sympathy for her.
Whats worse is that she blamed her band for playing the wrong song! Like they had any idea what was happening. They just looked bemused and played along with the backing track.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 26, 2004 17:47
What gets me is when an artist or group come to town...you pay $?? for the tickets and all you get is lip-synching!!!

WTF!!!

I pay for a REAL singer, not someone who is paid a sh**load of money to act like they' re singing!

I would rather stay home and watch a rented DVD of the concert, if that' s what they' re gonna do (lip-synching). It' s cheaper, and I get a front-row seat every time.

Jessica Simpson is not the first to do this, but she deserves all the negative press she is getting...after all, she got caught cheating!
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 26, 2004 22:08
What ever, so she lipsynched, not a big deal. As other said, everyone does it. Blaming her band (and then some weak excuse abuot acid reflux) was badly done.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 27, 2004 01:09
I’d like to think this little episode will encourage more people to sing live but knowing the pop music biz; I doubt it.
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 27, 2004 02:31
Huh Jessica? You mean Ashalee right?
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 27, 2004 04:46
Well, I think it was a disgrace to her audiences. I don' t think that was what they tuned in or came to the show for. Pure self-performance without " backups" would be appreciated much more, even if she makes a mistake, because people want the pure effort from Simpson that they deserve. Furthermore, I think the only Simpsons' that should be on tv are Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggy, grandma, and grandpa Simpson .
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Oct 27, 2004 05:51
I know that most people lip sync on SNL. You can totally tell during performances by Janet Jackson and Britney SpearZorz. They have the headset mics which enable them to spend the time gyrating around doing very complex dance moves, yet their voices sound super smooth and controlled. I' m sorry, but those hyper moves would have a perceivable effect on the voice and singling. Not necessarily in a bad way, but definitely there. Many of today' s artists are fake that way. I also agree with DaRoosh about paying to see a live concert and not getting a truly live performance. And yes, I must bold DaRoosh' s name since he bolds mine for no reason. :)

The acid reflux was definitely a cop-out excuse. I can' t wait to see MadTV rip this apart like only they can.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 10/27/2004 5:52:18 AM >
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Ashlee Simpson' s live screw up - Nov 01, 2004 21:42
yes, that will be very funny Joe.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages