Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 16, 2009 13:10
Hello people!
I hope the new year is treating you well.
So, I'm just curious about your opinions about the special arcade sticks and controllersthat are coming out for Street Fighter IV.
I don't know if you've discussed them before, you probably have, but I couldn't find any thread about it so here I'm starting this one. My apologies in case of a repetition of previously discussed topics.
I usually don't use arcade sticks. Mostly because it's kind of hard to get good ones here but also because I don't compete on high level so I'm relatively happy with a crappy 360 controller.
But since I'm a fan of the fighting genre I thought it was time I bought an arcade stick so I pre-ordered the
Street Fighter IV FightSticks Tournament Edition from MadCatz.
I was just wondering what some of you arcade fans think about it, and the other soon-to-be available controllers. Maybe some of you have even got your hands on some of them?
Like, what's the quality like, the price, the design, are these sticks cross compatible with PS3/360, are the controllers as good as the Sega Saturn controllers etc.

In case you don't know about these nice little objects, here's a link to gamespot with pictures and all that
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/blogs/london-calling/909183773/26741054/mad-catz-street-fighter-iv-products-get-uk-date.aspx?om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1

Here's a video on youtube where they show the stuff. Really cool
http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=K79kcTGxR6Y

The Tournament Edition is a bit pricey, I pay about 1700 SEK which is about 204 USD. But I think it looks good and I'm a sucker for good design :D

Have a nice day!
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 16, 2009 14:37
Those pads look awesome... but i would probably have bought the Hori Arcade stick instead. The MadCatz stick doesn't look bad though.
killemoff

• Total Posts : 173
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 17, 2009 08:55
The MadCatz stick is rumored to top even Hori, it seems MadCatz spared no expense on these and is trying to reform their reputation has a cheap acessory maker.

All in all, that 40$ controller sounds tasty.

Oh, and i hope this post doesn't go nuts like the last few of mine...
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 17, 2009 09:19
Fuck guy.  Change your avatar or something...
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 21, 2009 17:57
ginjirou hope this post marks your come back! I dont know if you know me but you were a nice guy when i used to read this forum since 2004 (or 2003 i dont remember well). I always think ginjirou is the name of the samurai guy from soul calibur too lol.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 21, 2009 21:18
Both Madcat stick, and official Pad are not all that great.

PS3 owners will be best of grabbing a USB Sega saturn pad..
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 21, 2009 22:07

Both Madcat stick, and official Pad are not all that great.
It's made by Madcat, that's auto-fail.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 21, 2009 22:23
I have the EX2 fighting stick that I got with VF for the 360.  I haven't used it as much as I should, but getting more use out of it on SSF2HD just now.  It's exactly what I was looking for - feels like the old sticks in the arcade, seems durable enough and I can sit it on my lap when playing.  Still struggling a bit to get my dragon punches out exactly on time, but I think that's down to me losing my skills with the death of arcades in Scotland as opposed to anything wrong with the stick itself.  I'd recommend it for anyone who is keen.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 22, 2009 09:00
Yeah, I don't know about Madcatz.  I think I would rather use a Hori stick.

Like this one...

Of course, it is $129, so that may not be an option for everyone.  I was looking at that SoulCaliber Hori stick on Amazon, though.  It's only $59... and it's purty!

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 22, 2009 10:17
Anyone else think the arcade sticks are heavily overpriced?  I mean, it's a frickn' stick with a couple of regular old big plastic buttons.  It probably costs them $5 to make it.  It's the same technology from the 80's.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 22, 2009 16:37
A lot of shit in video gaming has a huge profit margin, especially accessories.  It's just a part of the business model.  I wish I could do custom arcade sticks!  One of my old roommates got one of those.  Talk about spending some CASH!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 24, 2009 15:31
EDIT: I made such a long post that I added headlines over each section in case you'd like to skip something.

About Hori Sticks
It seems most of you really like the Hori sticks. I've been trying to find those lately but there wasn't any stores selling them. I guess I could always buy from ebay or amazon but I'm not very fond of those kind of sites, especially if it means shipping from the U.S. or something. And very few people in Sweden seem to own or sell arcade sticks.
If I buy from a local store I can easily return the product if I'm not satisfied and I simply trust stores a little more than the people on the Internet. But, if I happen to find a Hori stick in a store in the future I'll be sure to buy one.

About SFIV Tournament Edition
What I like about the tournament edition, other than the supposed build quality and the wonderful looks, is that it's supposed to be very limited. So if I don't like it then at least I have some kind of collectors item that I can sell later on. But I'm afraid it's so limited that I won't even get one even though I pre-ordered. I don't trust pre-orders. There's a video on gametrailers.com now and the guy showing the controllers says that even if you don't like sticks you should buy one and sell it on ebay because they are very sought after. It's kind of surprising to hear him say something like that. But that also makes the price seem a little more fair.

About the pads
The pads also seem awesome and I might buy a couple too since it'd be nice to have if non-stick friends want to fight.
I'd be nice to use old Saturn controllers of course but even if those were awesome I don't think one should believe that they will never be surpassed. Until any of us has got our hands on one of those pads I don't think I'd be fair to pass judgement on them just yet.

About Mad Catz
I've had some stuff from Mad Catz before and I was very satisfied with their products. So I have no problems with the brand even though some people seem to dislike them. Perhaps it wasn't the best stuff but I couldn't find anything to complain about.
Now Joytech is a company I really hate. 

About Me 
It's nice to hear I was considered a "nice guy" and I do remember you. But I'm pretty sure I was a bastard a lot of times too (some of you are probably nodding you heads now saying "oh yeah" :P).
I don't intend to make a "come back". If I think something is worth discussing or posting, I'll do it. But checking the forums daily or weekly is not my intention. You're all nice and intelligent people here and I enjoy many posts but I find most discussions to be pure speculation or flame wars and often I can predict the answers to some posts before hand. That's my general view on ALL forums on the Internet so I don't mean to say that this specific forum is any worse than others. Quite the opposite actually.

Thanks!
Anyway, it was nice reading your opinions and I might post something when/if I do get the stick.
If any of you get the SFIV fight pads or anything else related to pads and arcade sticks It would be appreciated if you posted your opinions :)
<message edited by ginjirou on Jan 24, 2009 16:20>
mastachefbkw

Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 25, 2009 02:26

EDIT: I made such a long post that I added headlines over each section in case you'd like to skip something.
*Reads first three paragraphs and then skips "about me"*

About Mad Catz
I've had some stuff from Mad Catz before and I was very satisfied with their products. So I have no problems with the brand even though some people seem to dislike them. Perhaps it wasn't the best stuff but I couldn't find anything to complain about.
Now Joytech is a company I really hate. 
Obviously you didn't use them enough/consistantly . I had this really badass Xbox 1 controller made by Madcatz. Loved it. It had nice built on grips that actually were comfortable(go figure, right?). And even better it was a nice shade of dark green which made me happy(just like everybody, right?). After about 2 months of using it, the piece of shit does the typical Madcatz and fucking became useless in nearly every aspect. The analog sticks messed up so the left one was always moving slightly forward and the right one was moving diagnally upward-left. The buttons began to mess up so you had to press on them with a lot of force, but not too much or they would stick. The worst part about it? I paid $100 for it(and it came bundled with a memory card).
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 25, 2009 18:45
Was it shittier than the green Logitechs Chris and I had?
mastachefbkw

Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Jan 25, 2009 20:56

Was it shittier than the green Logitechs Chris and I had?
They're all equally shitty after they break.
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Feb 17, 2009 17:49
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Feb 18, 2009 03:15
Sweet review and if Doree says it's the king of fighters while being such a huge VF fan then it really has to be something.

Not that the review matters anyway was going to get this game no matter what.

The only thing that'll bother me is that I'll be stuck playing this on my PS3 controller instead of on a decent stick since I just can't afford to do such a thing right now. Well at least I'll be playing it on a PS3 controller and not on a 360 one. So at least it won't be all that bad.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Feb 23, 2009 01:58
After watching all the footage of this game on the web for months, I was really only worried about how crisp the controls would be once I got my hands on it.

Monkey happy. Monkey very very happy.

FUCK!! Seth is a bastard!

Still, monkey happy.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Street Fighter IV FightSticks and controllers - Feb 23, 2009 07:04
Seth's pretty cheap but that was to be expected really.

And since we're on the matter of Seth.

He's not all that bad once you start being able to predict his moves.

What I find more annoying is the appaling number of Ryu's and Ken's online. It was to be expected so many would pick Ryu or Ken. Though it is kinda annoying. Most I've seen can only pull off hadoken and shoryuken and that's about it.

Just to annoy the piss out of them and because I don't like playing with what the majority plays I've taken to picking Fei Long for my online battles. It's laughable how easily the get utterly confused and fall for a simply Tenshin and then the immediate unleashing off Rekkashinken or Rekkashingeki.

A move those fireball spammers seem to fear is the EX Rekkukyaku. It travels almost the whole damn screen flies over any fireball and can set you up for an easy 3 hit Rekka Ken combo. And if your ex or revenge gauge is full it's easy to give them another good beat down while they're getting up with the super or ultra move. But since they like doing shoryuken it's better to stay on the ground and use dashes and Tenshin to confuse the hell out of them.

Best way I've found so far to go against fireball spammers is EX-Rekkas. They have some damn good range and if done correctly you can easily go through someones Hadoken and fireball attacks when you are in front of the opponent.

If they start turteling, so far it has worked to use a combo Tenshin into a Rekka, Shien Kyaku and if you are skilled enough (or when I don't fuck up the whole input on the ps3 controller) and with timing an Ultra/Super Combo.

Well...at least it works for me.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message