Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster"
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 02, 2008 02:01
Never heard of it.  Must not have been that important.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 02, 2008 02:09
Don't even look at future Wii games just keep Galaxy in it and try to forget that you paid 400$ for one game.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 02, 2008 16:38
yeah seriously, I will buy a Wii but only for mario Galaxy [which is amazing] how hard is it to make good game for it? xbox one graphics looked allot better too.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 02, 2008 22:04
The game looks like shit. Always has. I know there were people here who had hopes for it, because I debated to the contrary with them.

...after seeing titles like this, I still wonder why they binned H.A.M.M.E.R.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 03, 2008 19:53
Eddie_the_Hated

The game looks like shit. Always has. I know there were people here who had hopes for it, because I debated to the contrary with them.

I had hopes for this game. I still love the concept of the game. As for me...these screens actually don't really change a thing for me. I want this game to play great if it had looked good then that would have been a nice bonus. A bit early to say a game sucks ain't it just because the graphics aren't all that great. Last time I checked it's the gameplay that makes a good game not the graphics.
So all in all these screens really don't change a thing at all, I do want news though on the gameplay. That would have been some real news.

As for Project H.A.M.M.E.R. I still think it sucks that they canned it. I actually don't get why they did it. But ah well guess we'll never know if it was/would be any good or not.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 03, 2008 21:36
Demonoroth

Eddie_the_Hated

I had hopes for this game. I still love the concept of the game. As for me...these screens actually don't really change a thing for me. I want this game to play great if it had looked good then that would have been a nice bonus. A bit early to say a game sucks ain't it just because the graphics aren't all that great. Last time I checked it's the gameplay that makes a good game not the graphics.
So all in all these screens really don't change a thing at all, I do want news though on the gameplay. That would have been some real news.

As for Project H.A.M.M.E.R. I still think it sucks that they canned it. I actually don't get why they did it. But ah well guess we'll never know if it was/would be any good or not.

It could trun out to be pretty good... it could be the best fucking game ever. But we dont really care about any of theat at this point in time. What we don't understand is how newly developed third party titles on the platform look graphically worse in general that most PS2, Xbox and Gamecube games.
Silentbomber

Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 03, 2008 22:37
Id love to make a Wii game to show these lazy fucks how to make a good game.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 03, 2008 22:43
A drinking game, game?
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 03, 2008 23:18
Are you implying something Eddie?
Silentbomber

Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 03, 2008 23:18
with waggle Eddie
ys

• Total Posts : 532
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 04, 2008 04:51
Nitro

What we don't understand is how newly developed third party titles on the platform look graphically worse in general that most PS2, Xbox and Gamecube games.

This has puzzled me too for quite a while actually. How some things actually can look worse compared to the generation before. Including games for the Gamecube. Even if gameplay eventually is the most important it doesn't hurt to have the best graphics possible for the particular console.

Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Day of "Oh look, another Wii Disaster" - Sep 04, 2008 18:25
Simple economics, m'lads. *smugly chomping on a cigar*  What we've got here is a toxic swirl of a little white box that prints money, and a whole lot of developers who frankly don't take much pride in their craft.  The fact is the Wii is capable of much more graphically than it's being called on to do, and there are only a handful of developers who have the pride in their craft to push it.

At the same time, however, there is a constricting aspect to core Nintendo fans' desires to see newer versions of their classic series.  Obviously characters like Mario can't be graphically complexified very much at this point.  About the most that can be done is some kind of normal mapping of his denim overalls, maybe some kind of real hair/fur for his moustache... but he's a cartoony character and it won't work stylistically if his appearance is complexified and made realistic.  Zelda might be the only series they have that can support a wide variety of visual reimaginings... but those games are on a very long development cycle -- and so far for very good reason, as they have seemingly all been excellent.  But with titles like these so few and far between, the Wii does seem to be relegated to a secondary status in core gamers' entertainment systems.

What I would hope for any company would be that they would do what they need to to stay afloat and be profitable, but to always set aside some of that money for what might be called auteur games... the most artistic, visionary games that are bigger risks but carry the unique visions of particular designers/development teams.  Those types of games will always be relatively few and far between, but with good planning we could see a few of them every year. 

At this point though, we have a situation verging on the out-of-hand mess that burgeoned on the Atari 2600, with an avalanche of subpar games being brought out to make a quick buck.  One advantage that Nintendo has over the Atari of 1983 is vastly more savvy management, though.  But 2008 is a bit of a letdown, with Nintendo trying to herald the upcoming Wario game as some sort of major milestone in their dedication to core gamers.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll