Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Help me buy a laptop this week! (Impt: Mac or Pc?)
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
Help me buy a laptop this week! (Impt: Mac or Pc?) - Aug 15, 2007 18:02
Heh, hi guys. Been a long time

I' ve gotten into the Art course for my University, so these months have been hectic.

Need some help mostly from laptop-owners and the tech guys. Otherwise, you should prolly just hit the Back button.

Okay, I' m going to get a laptop this week for school. The big question is whether I want a Mac or a PC. Budget is not ' totally' a problem, but I don' t think I' ll be able to get a Macbook Pro for one, so that' s out of the picture.

I' m in the Arts, Design and Media course. Most people would assume I should get a Mac then. But honestly any high-powered rendering and stuff (which would be next year for my Year 2 course) would be done on the workstations in the school itself. However, Mac is more stable, and comes with free packed in Adobe Premium CS3, which is very nice (pirated stuff for Mac is hard to come by).

I didn' t bring my roadshow brochures so I can' t state the models today, but I can list some of the features I remembered as well as the brands and price.

Acer: Most bang for buck. $1800+ (cheapest) Comes packed in with a better graphics card than the standard Intel Express Chipset that comes packed in with most of the other roadshow. A couple of extras, but it' s its cheap price that makes it a consideration.

Cons: Acer doesn' t have the best build quailty. Otherwise, it' s okay, if pretty standard.

Macbook: $2400+ Well, it' s Mac. Free upgrade to Leopard OS X, a free 1 GB iPod Shuffle, packed in with the full Adobe CS3 Premium Pro suite. Extremely good for a graphics student like me. Aesthetically the most appealing.

Cons: Graphics card is the standard chipset (on Macbook Pro has a most advanced graphics card). I can' t run most of my games/other applications on it w/o Boot-Camp and Windows XP/Vista. I' ll have to learn a whole new OS (although I do have a year till I need to use it more vigourously).

The others, Fujitsu, Toshiba, are all under consideration. But if I' m going to get a standard laptop, I might as well get the cheapest.

The way it is, using a Mac might be fun. But see, I might not be able to run Psychonauts on it =/

Unless someone can tell me that the Intel Express Chipset can do that, then I parition the hard drive and use Boot-Camp so that I can still use Windows.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll