Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Dante's Inferno
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Dante's Inferno - Dec 16, 2008 23:36
The section from The Divine Comedy looks like it will soon become a game.

This has to be one of my favorite books of all time, but I don't know how well it'll work as a game. Obviously the player will either play as someone other than Dante, unless they stray that far from the story. The teaser kind of reminds me of GOW. Also, its being made by EA.
<message edited by mastachefbkw on Dec 16, 2008 23:37>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 02:30
When has a book game ever worked?

Hell, for that matter, when's the last time an idea went straight from book, to game?
mastachefbkw

Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 03:48
True, but I'm thinking this is something to compete with GOW. Assuming that they completely fuck with the story they might be able to make something interesting, but then why name it Dante's Inferno? I'm quite interested in seeing how this thing works out.
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 12:32
I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand you don't see many book-to-game ports, as Eddie points out, let alone foreign-language-epic-to-game ports, so thumbs up in the ambition stakes. On the other hand, if they fuck with Dante I may find it necessary to deduct three points from every EA game review EVER.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 17:12
Hmmm I don't know about this one. It's a nice idea and all that...but I doubt they'll make a good game out of it.

The story will most likely be completely idiotic with some stuff thrown in from Dante's Inferno to justify the name of the game and that'll probably be it.

Can't help but being sceptical about this one. I just ain't feeling it. The teaser also shows you nothing at all so you can't really tell. I'm guessing they'll make it a kind of GoW rip off with maybe some Prince of Persia elements mixed into it.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 18:28
Eddie_the_Hated

"Tom Clancy's" videogames.
The Witcher
STALKER
Suikoden

etc

Anyway, the game would have a great setting, just depends on who's developing it.
<message edited by emofag on Dec 17, 2008 18:34>
mastachefbkw

Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 21:20
I have no doubt about this game if they're going to twist the story a bit, but if they make you play as Dante(who never fought anyone in the book) they'll just fuck it up. I'm assuming it will be based on the book, but not completely accurate.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 17, 2008 21:34

emo

They were all very loosely based.

You can have a shitty game faithful to the books, a great game that is "inspired" by a book, or you can have a shitty game "inspired" by a book. There's no real precedent set for a good game that follows a book. The type of media is too different.

I will give The Witcher credit where it's due though. They went balls to the walls with extras when they released the game. You don't see that anymore.

emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 21, 2008 02:46
Eddie_the_Hated

emo

They were all very loosely based.

Movies from books aren't even 1% relevant to the source material, what is your point? I'd argue those games are more relevant.

ys

• Total Posts : 532
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 29, 2008 19:03
Eddie_the_Hated

The Bible.

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 29, 2008 21:32
ys

Eddie_the_Hated

The Bible.

Now some company is going to steal your idea. They'll go strictly with the Old Testament (Torah). Who doesnt want a game about plagues(like Pandemic II), infanticide, war, rebellion, and even a monument building level(pyramids FTW).

The only questions are how many times will Jerry Falwell turn in his grave, and how many times will the dev get sued.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 29, 2008 21:55
No worries. I already patented the whole deal. The only problem is that some of those christian companies already made some games based on the bible. But those don't count, they're either educational or simply abominations.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 30, 2008 10:47
Hehe bible games the angy video game nerd did a second round of those.

It's sad really. Taking a crappy game, change a few things and then throwing in some bible quotes or having you answer questions relating to the bible...sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it.
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 30, 2008 12:56
I'd be very interested to see a dev like, say, 2K Boston do a Passion of the Christ game.

As for the Old Testament- Lionhead, or Bethesda, or BioWare.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 30, 2008 17:32
Demonoroth

Hehe bible games the angy video game nerd did a second round of those.

It's sad really. Taking a crappy game, change a few things and then throwing in some bible quotes or having you answer questions relating to the bible...sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it.

Sounds like a blast. Im hoping for them to add a collection of minigames and to see a 09 release on the Wii.
mastachefbkw

Re:Dante's Inferno - Dec 30, 2008 21:36

I'd be very interested to see a dev like, say, 2K Boston do a Passion of the Christ game.
Passions of the Christ? That sounds more like an arcade game....like Castle Crashers or something.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll