Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 MGS4 video demonstration
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 20:40
Talk about amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSDudPTOznE&search=videogame%20mgs%20ps3

It' s simply not possible that this game will make the launch, probably not the first 6 months, but hopefully the first year. It' s Kojimas last MGS (probably) game so he' ll want to go out with a bang.

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 2 May 06 14:41:10 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: New realtime MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 20:59
Seen that video a while back. It looks stunning. It' s wierd that out of everything that has been shown for the PS3 this is the only one that has impressive graphics... that and Unreal 2007.
Nitro

RE: New realtime MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 21:05
UT 2007 didin' t look all that great at GDC though, it' s obvious that the physics hadn' t been implimented properly yet or were simply disabled to keep the thing running at 60fps.

The thing about MGS4 is that this isn' t what people should expect to see ingame. This is what can be done with a single character in a bland environment, but until i see Snake fighting several enemies in realtime gameplay i' ll reserve my judgement.

Something interesting is that Marcus (main character) from Gears of War is actually made up of more polygons than Snake is in the MGS4 demonstrations...

Isn' t this a new demonstration?! I realise that the TGS demonstration is very similar but isn' t this recent?!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: New realtime MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 21:21
I downloaded this one a while back. I pretty sure it' s not TGS but it' s the same one I have.

Also, the metal gear solid series has mastered the art or tricking the eye. If you look at the enviroments and such in any of the videos released for this game they aren' t impressive at all. No real interesting geometry (infact it' s incredibly basic and low poly), the textures are good but not great, and these are all covered up by lighting and particle effects. Because the enviroments are so lacking (but convincingly covered up) they have a lot more system resources to use on characters and such.

I' m definately looking forward to this game and it' s about the only reason currently I have for wanting a PS3. I' m just really looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay before I make a final opinion on what I see.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: New realtime MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 22:14
I' ve seen that trailer to, or at least I think so. Are there any other trailers where the staff sits and comments the game while changing real-time effects?
I downloaded it either at gametrailers.com or here at kikizo.com.
It' s fun how they marvel at his feet and comments that it looks like he wants to pee...
I like the focus effects anyway.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 2 May 06 14:16:13 >
Nitro

MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 22:40
There' s the TGS demonstration and there' s this one. I had thought this one was new since it' s been reported on of several PS3 sites.

I think i need to change the name of the thread.

ginjirou

RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 02, 2006 22:52
Yep you really should change the name of this thread. YOu want to know why?
Well, I' ve never been so disappointed in my life as when I saw the video. OK!
I nearly soiled myself when I saw the name of this thread. But when I saw the trailer my monitor got soiled... by me.
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 00:41
It kind of cracks me up to hear them talk about things us american pc gamers take for granted.
Now that i got to have a closer look, it' s much less impressive.
ginjirou

RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 01:00
American PC gamers?
What, you guys have something we europeans don' t?
Give it to us!
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 01:02
Um, let me rephrase that..
Western pc gamers.
I forget about my EU brothas somethines.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 01:13
yeah, i saw this one a few months back, and it at least confirms that this stuff is possible on the ps3. and although MGS has been known for putting filters on stuff, and adding particles to make things look good. i really don' t mind. I' ll take a game that can trick me into thinking the graphics are amazing, with alot of space for other processes, than a game that lags down because the visuals are so stunning. It' s like resident evil 4 for the gamecube. most games don' t look that good, but because the developers knew the hardware, and knew how to exploit its little quirks to their advantage, it looks amazing. this is also the case with MGS.

i agree that this definately won' t be a launch title. they' re gonna have to work on this one for a while, because if it doesn' t pay off, wild kojima fans will overrun the streets, and the riots won' t stop for days.
Nitro

RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 01:17
Stupid PC' s!!!

I just watched a slightly higher res version of the same video that had a proper aspect ratio and i have to say that the more i watch it the less impressive it becomes, like everything.

The part where they show Otacon in existing in 3d space in the robodogs monitor and then change the lighting to prove that he exists somewhere else and it' s not just a video overlay is impressive and Snakes face is REALLY impressive but i' m starting to see how they can achieve it from PS3 hardware. Snakes oveall character model isn' t quite as detailed as i remember and the environments are bland. The lighting is nice but realistic lighting isn' t hard to do anymore.

In the the video demonstration, it' s evident that it isn' t as high a resolution and doesn' t seem as detailed as this...

I' d be interested to see this shown in realtime, paused and moved around in like the Snake demonstration...

Hell, i want to see some gameplay!
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 2 May 06 17:19:05 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 01:30
two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine...

Eight days till all is revealed my friends. we' ll finally see some gameplay, and hopefully we... oh heh heh, (insert overused joke here), hopefully we' ll get to play this on anything but sony' s concept controller. myself, i wanna play it on a white dualshock controller with the left analog swapped with the D-pad. That would truly redeem sony in my eyes.

ps. on an unrelated MGS side note, does anyone see the resemblence between the MGS TGS trailer setting, and a certain level in subsistence online. I was just playing, and it really stuck out at me. I' ll try and find a pic.

Edit: dang, i can' t post pics, i keep getting the " site is generating a 500 error" window. heres a link or two.

http://www.ferrago.com/imgs/dynamic/storygen/lrg/6590_6.jpg
http://dl1.games.vip.scd.yahoo.com/games/buzz2/content/p/3/427367/screen004.jpg
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 2 May 06 17:41:44 >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 02:34
Nitro

RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 02:42
Adam, how come you guys give us the best quality videos and other sites make you pay for membership in order to acces the HD content?!

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 02:45
Becuase Kikizo is made by honest people and not some suits trying to too take all your dollars/euros/sterling.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 11:04
IT' S BECAUSE WE CARE. WE JUST CARE.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 18:21
sites like ign are huge and have everyday updates, fast news and a lot of content you wouldn' t find anywhere else - it takes a lot of people to do all the traveling,editing and run a site with that level of features.

It' s not just the videos you pay for - insiders have a lot of great stories as well and it' s 8$ per 3 months so I' d argue about naming them " criminals" or sth like that.
ginjirou

RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 18:41
Well IGN have tons of ads all over the place. That should give them enough income to keep stuff free. They' re pretty much selling every single inch of their site to advertises. The amount of ads have even made it a damn problem for visitors to view the site.
Ads between pages, ads in articles, ads around articles, ads before you can download a video, ads everywhere. And they still want you to pay. Fuck that!

IGN. Damn whores they are...

IGN is still a great site though. Sorry if I got a little emotional here..
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 3 May 06 10:41:55 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: MGS4 video demonstration - May 03, 2006 19:25
It' s funny - many people are mad at nintendo that virtual console downloads won' t be free yet no one ever says things like " Xbox Live should be free" - and so on.

They shouldn' t sell new DS Lite!! they should' ve made it like that in the first place!

People who do things right can and should be paid for it - WAKE UP PEOPLE

subscribers (ign) don' t have ads -Ads are what you get when you don' t pay for it - that' s what I heard.

It' s not like they live to inform you - they inform you to live - and if they want to live nice , they have to inform you very well and I think they do that for their subscribers , and they do a great job of informing some of us cheap bastards too.

going back to MGS - if that trailer has Realtime footage - it' s awesome.

I know that many techniques are quite old , some effects are standard in most PC games today (but none of them look that close to movie somehow?) , but in the end is how you use those effects and I haven' t seen anything as impressive in overall on next gen 360 games yet.

The thing is it' s just a cutscene , so it' s not fair to compare the highest possible quality of cutscenes for gaming that Kojima can perform, to normal gameplay enviroment of games for 360.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message