Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games - Jul 06, 2005 22:34
Sega Classics on PS2
Panzer Dragoon, Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy -- Sega takes over Sega Ages.
by IGN Staff

Original Article Click Here

July 6, 2005 - Volumes one through nineteen of the Sega Ages series has been a mixed bag of quality and garbage. Games like Phantasy Star, Virtua Racing and Space Harrier stayed true to their roots while making improvements in graphics, sound and gameplay, while the remade versions of Golden Axe, Fist of the North Star and far too many others were best left forgotten.

Just as the series reaches its twentieth installment, Sega is responding to criticism and making some big changes. In the latest issue of Famitsu, Sega Ages series producer Yosuke Okunari reveals that Sega has dissolved its relationship with D3 Publisher, with whom it had formed a company called 3D Ages to develop and publish all previous Sega Ages titles. Starting with volume 20, the Sega Ages series games will be developed and published directly through Sega.

It now looks like Sega will be doing away with some of the cheap feel of the re-releases. Until now, Sega Ages titles have included an information card featuring artwork and developer commentary on the game at hand. There were no actual bonus goods contained on the disk, though. That' s about to change. Starting with Volume 20, Sega will be including a Gallery Mode with the games, featuring advertisements, fliers and other materials. The instruction manuals will also be beefed up to include developer commentary. Sega hasn' t stated if it will continue including the card bonus.

IGN reported earlier this week on Volumes 20 and 21 of the series, titled, respectively, Space Harrier II: Space Harrier Complete Collection and SDI & Quartet: Sega System 16 Collection. In addition to our previous info, Famitsu reveals that Volume 20 will feature replay video clips for the original arcade versions of Space Harrier while Volume 21 will have the same for SDI.

Sega plans to tap into its legacy for upcoming Sega Ages titles, as revealed in Famitsu. Here' s a list of games set to debut starting with Volume 22:

Sega Memorial Selection: Features five old games, including Head On, Tranquilizer Gun and Doki Doki Penguin Land

Galaxy Force II: Appearing in perfect ported form. The project was actually started in order to give the game a perfect port for the first time!

Advanced Daisenryaku: Doitsu Dengeki Sakusen: A strategy game that appeared on the Mega Drive in 1991. Visuals will feature big improvements.

Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box: Includes Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy and Alien Soldier, three of Treasure' s best known Mega Drive titles.

Panzer Dragoon: The first Panzer Dragoon game, originally appearing on the Saturn. It seems that the Sega Ages version will include a complete remake.

Last Bronx: Tokyo Bangaichi: A Model 2 fighter from AM3 that was later brought to the Saturn. It' s unclear if the Sega Ages version is based on the Model 2 version or the Saturn version. Given that Sega has ported Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter II to the PS2 as part of the series, the model 2 version is likely.

Dynamite Dekka: Known as Die Hard Arcade in America, this title will be a complete remake developed from scratch.
-----
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 8 Jul 05 1:22:06 >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games - Jul 07, 2005 11:28
Sounds exciting...

PS. Joe please remember to not post entire articles from other sites and please include source URL when referencing other stories, we would expect the same in respect of our own articles on other forums!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games - Jul 07, 2005 14:38

Space Harrier stayed true to their roots while making improvements in graphics, sound and gameplay,

Did we play the same Sega Ages 2500 series: Space Harrier????????????
How on Earth, Venus, and Mars can they say it improved on the original in the gameplay department, the Sega Ages remake was slower, had a more dreary and depressing color scheme and a number of new but boring a$$ tunnel levels were added.

To me the arcade original kills the Sega Ages remake, Space Harrier 2 and Planet Harriers COMBINED

<--- Major Space Harrier whore over here

And thank goodness Sega is finally taking over the project completely. What they should do is remake all of the Sega Ages remakes done so far and give them out freely to those who purchased the previous 3D-Ages remade versions.

AND I still haven' t heard much at all about the Sega Ages: Alex Kidd in Miracle World game they announced long ago, C' mon Sega I need more Alex info! Pwetty Pwease!?
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 7 Jul 05 22:41:36 >
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games - Jul 07, 2005 16:07
This is great news. The Sega Classics Collection (a compilation of 10 of the remakes for the US market) was with the exception of Outrun and Golden Axe dire, and even those two could have been better.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games - Jul 07, 2005 17:23
Sorry Adam, I took this news from a forum that I moderate and when I saw it I immediately asked the poster to put the source link in. In the meantime I posted the article here. The original poster finally came through.

I edited my post above and took a bit out as well.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Sega takes over Sega Ages PS2 games - Jul 09, 2005 19:58
thats cool.thanks for the info i really dont go to ign.com alot

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages