Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read)
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 06, 2006 19:35
It seems like Blue Ray' s codec is less impressive than the one HD DVD uses (the 15GB HD DVD movie version looks exactly like the 25GB BD, while 30 GB HD DVD is superior to 25GB BD)

Here' s a nice comparison of 3 movies released on both formats (these are the same movies on HD DVD and Blue-ray)

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_blurayvshddvd_firstcomparison.aspx

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 6 Aug 06 11:35:57 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 06, 2006 19:42
Ya I was reading up on Cnet and they said the same at leats when it came to the players they were comparing.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 06, 2006 23:48
Everything I have heard about these two formts is that HD-DVD is better. I dunno... imo I just want both to fail. DVDs haven' t been out long enough for a new storage disk to come out.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 01:45
I think if anyone is gonna come out on top it might be hd-dvd cos when people like my mum go shopping they always ask the guy' s (or girl in some cases) advice on electrical stuff and what their opinion is. And so far it seems like even retailers are siding with the hd-dvd format.....so far but you never know I guess.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 06:53
I' m also against this new " next gen DVD" format in overall - I' m going to play upscalled DVD' s for a long time.

It strikes me though, that HD DVD' s use much better video codec than BD.This makes storage space of BD completely insignifficant.

I wish PS3 had a built in HD DVD instead of BD - I would rather have HD DVD at home since I' m definitely getting a PS3 sometime in 2008/2010 :).
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 6 Aug 06 22:53:45 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 07:27

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Everything I have heard about these two formts is that HD-DVD is better. I dunno... imo I just want both to fail. DVDs haven' t been out long enough for a new storage disk to come out.

Yeah not long enough, only 10 fucking years.

Just because you live in a cave and adapted the technology 3 months ago doesn' t mean everyone else is content with it.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 07:46
Seems to me like it' s you who have been living in a cave , since the only movies you' re going to watch on any new format are the newest and most mainstream ones.

The thing about DVD is that it' s well established now and has lots of old/classic movies that people love, it also has a lot of non-mainstream content like Anime and anything you can think of.

It will take at least 5 years before any other format can compete with that.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 13:59
Fuck BR and HD-DVDs I' ll wait for the holographic discs to come out. That one should be the last physical media (at least in dics format), for now I have no problems with my DVDs. Then again if I can use the 360 HD-DVD add-on for the computer as well then I' m there.
< Message edited by Game Junkie -- 7 Aug 06 6:00:55 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 15:13

Stfu, either HD DVD or BR are here to stay for the next 10 years.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 7 Aug 06 7:13:11 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 07, 2006 20:38
maybe , but neither of them will have as large movie library as DVD format untill 2010 (at least)
Mass X

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 09, 2006 12:09
Hm here' s a better place to ask my question:

Quick question, does anyone know where a list of HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray dvds currently out or coming out soon? Preferabbly up to and around the time of the HD-DVD add-on for the 360, curious to see if I' ll even be interested in any of the movies to merit buying the thing anyways.

< Message edited by Mass X -- 9 Aug 06 4:09:41 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 09, 2006 17:31
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hddvd/movies.aspx

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/

I' m not sure if both are the most up to date.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 9 Aug 06 9:38:35 >
Mass X

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 10, 2006 00:17
Blue Ray certainly as the better selection at the moment. Still tho I dunno if I' d buy a standalone or a PS3 for it. Guess it' ll depend on the External HD-DVD price as well.

Still tho HD-DVD needs to up its titles quite a bit.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 10, 2006 01:08
I saw both at Best Buy this week. I refuse to pay $30 for a freaking movie. This format war is really pissing me off. I don' t need either of these players. They are way too expensive and I don' t plan on getting an HDTV any time soon.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 10, 2006 02:27
Y' know Ramp, you could always just get a monitor that put outs hi-def visuals
it depends if you watch TV as well. But I bought a monitor, roughly the same
size as the standard samsung ones that accompany all X-box 360' s it does
the same thing, just £130.00 (dunno how much in dollars) but the samsung ones
cost almost in excess of £600.00 great bargain I say.. Hi -Def doesn' t have to be
expensive..
Mass X

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 10, 2006 02:35
30 for each huh? Well then I may as well just hold off unless there truly is a catalog of movies that need to be watched in hi-def.

Like the PS3 I' ll just wait a good year or so.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 11, 2006 00:36
Firstly, for information on HD-DVD and Blu-ray, and the movies that will be available, check out:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/hdformats/highdefreleases.aspx

As far as the movie prices go, I bought mine from Amazon, and most cost $19.99 or $24.99, but if you buy three movies on one order you get 10% off all titles you purchase for a year!

Oh yeah, I just had movie night, and it was a SPECTACULAR HIT!! Fucking HD-DVDs looks AMAZING!!
Mass X

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 11, 2006 01:08
Well then that changes the perception yet again...ahg still gonna be hell for a decision. Well i' ll just wait and see how much the add-on will be for 360. If it' s under $100 then I' ll go with that.

If not then I shall wait it out for some time DVD is just fine for now.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 13, 2006 01:42
http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners/0,39029405,40091720,00.htm

The first Blu-ray (BD) disc drive for desktop PCs is here, but be warned -- it won' t play commercial BD movies.

Sony officially announced its BWU-100A product at its " Experience More 2006" event in Sydney yesterday, all the while acknowledging that there' s significant room for improvement before the product is viable for integration into media centre PCs.

Vincent Bautista, Sony' s product manager for data storage, told CNET.com.au that due to copy protection issues and lagging software development, the drive will only play user-recorded high-definition content from a digital camcorder, and not commercial movies released under the BD format.

Bautista says that one of two reasons for this is the fact that commercial content is encrypted with High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), which can only be decrypted using a HDCP-compliant graphics card that offers DVI or HDMI connections. Since there are currently no PCs for sale offering graphics chips that support HDCP, this isn' t yet possible.

The second reason, according to Bautista, is that BD playback software that can decrypt HDCP isn' t " released as a saleable item yet" . Today, the only HDCP-supporting BD playback application is the OEM version of Intervideo WinDVD BD that' s bundled with Sony' s VAIO VGN-AR18GP notebook. The AR18GP also offers an HDCP-compliant HDMI connector, which makes it capable of playing commercial movies without issue.

Bautista is optimistic that both issues will be resolved " soon" , and says that despite not being able to play commercial content, the drive is still useful as a " storage device" , particularly for those looking to create and distribute their own high-definition home movies on BD-R and BD-RE discs.

The Sony BWU100A has a write speed of 2x and will be available this month for AU$1399.

Didn' t someone say that the japanese are really strict with ' ' quality control' ' and only let a product to the public domain until it' s ready?.....
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 12 Aug 06 17:57:57 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: Direct blue-ray VS HD DVD comparison (a must-read) - Aug 13, 2006 02:07
Not Sony :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages