Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Xbox killing my router
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Xbox killing my router - Aug 18, 2008 01:27
Hi, a wee tech question I hope some of you may be able to answer.

My 360 keeps cutting off my router when I quitgames, and often when I'm just playing them.  Any time I use the Xboxbutton to quit out a game my router is turned off.  My PS3 andlaptop can use the router without any problems, but if the xbox hasturns the router off I need to unplug it and plug it back in againbefore I can sign back into Live or use the PS3/laptop online.

Anyoneelse had this problem?  It's a wireless router but the 360 is connectedby an ethernet cable.  I'm using a Belkin Wireless G router.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Stu
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 18, 2008 11:44
Am I right in assuming your PS3 and laptop are conecting wirelessly? If that is the case try plugging the 360 into another ethernet port, it could be a short, as in when there is no signal coming down the ethernet cable the router powers off. I am just assuming as I have had this happen with hubs and switches before but they were in commercial and not household installations.
Iad umboros

Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 18, 2008 21:31
No man, my PS3 is connected with an ethernet cable too, and I've already switched the port the 360 is connected to.  It just seems weird as it always cuts out when I quit a game.  Even Geometry Wars 2 cuts it out when I select return to Arcade.  Bizarre.
alijay034

Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 18, 2008 21:39
Ok that is bizarre then, I wouldn't know what to suggest, short of trying to borrow a router to see if it is that that's causing the issue, I would suspect the router rather than the 360 though.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 19, 2008 01:27
you probably have some wierd settings linking your router and xbox 360.  Did you put in special settings on your 360 so that it would work?  If it is a good router you should be able to just go with the defaults on your 360.  You could try reseting your 360 network settings to the defaults.
Iad umboros

Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 19, 2008 21:59
Yeah, I'll try resetting the settings.  Think the router may be on it's last legs but don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to.  Cheers!
alijay034

Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 19, 2008 22:32
locopuyo

you probably have some wierd settings linking your router and xbox 360.  Did you put in special settings on your 360 so that it would work?  If it is a good router you should be able to just go with the defaults on your 360.  You could try reseting your 360 network settings to the defaults.

Please explain what you are saying because as far as I am aware you don't need to enter settings when using an ethernet connection.

What isp do you use? I have a spare netgear router I could lend you to prove out the router if you want? have you tried a different Cat5 cable?
<message edited by alijay034 on Aug 19, 2008 22:33>
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 20, 2008 00:39
alijay034

locopuyo

Please explain what you are saying because as far as I am aware you don't need to enter settings when using an ethernet connection.

What isp do you use? I have a spare netgear router I could lend you to prove out the router if you want? have you tried a different Cat5 cable?

You can set stuff like mac address, static ip, and user name and passwords.  If you were connecting to something that required it.  If you were connecting directly to a modem sometimes they require you to enter stuff in.  My parents had to do that for their fiber optics, until they got a router, then they had to set it there.  If you started using a router and left those settings on there it could cause problems with the router and 360 fighting over the connection.    
Iad umboros

Re:Xbox killing my router - Aug 20, 2008 19:18
Cheers Loco/Alijay, that has helped.  I reset to factory defaults, although I hadn't manually changed them myself.

Unfortunately I think my router is overheating after a couple of hours, as I said I've had it a while so maybe a new one is on the cards in the next few months.

Thanks for the help
Stu

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread