Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Classic games remake
PeyloW

• Total Posts : 64
Classic games remake - Feb 25, 2003 17:56
I saw Metroid for Gamecube in a store, at first I just saw the title but I soon saw that they had made a FPS out of it and my lust for a Gamecube faded as fast as it had come over me.

And I realized that I could not think of a single classic game that had been as good as the original hen remade for a more modern gaming. Can anyone think of a classic game that survived a remake?
KK

• Total Posts : 17
RE: Classic games remake - Feb 25, 2003 20:34
Hmm... they' re not remakes, just trying to update the series into 3D.

It' s odd. A lot of people find that the 3D iterations lack a lot of the charm that the 2D ones had, for some reason. In some cases, they' re right. Case point - Lemmings 3D.

You could say that Mario 64 has been the most successful, but Mario 64 strayed from the original formula. Instead of having to reach the end of the level, it was mission-based. However, it retained a lot of the charm of the original, yet was a great game in its own right. As such, while it survived a remake, a lot of it was fresh and new, so you can' t really class Mario 64 as a remake, but instead Mario, but having gone in a different direction.

The Sonic series are more along the lines of remakes that you' re after - they still retain the objective of racing to the end of the level, at least in the Sonic/Tails/Amy/E102/Shadow levels. The speed and general feel are kept, but the universe has been changed, which has annoyed many Sonic fans (myself included).

As with Metroid Prime, it is basically the same premise as Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion (I' m not sure about the earlier Metroids - I' ve never played them). However, the transition into a FPS annoys a lot of people. I can' t think of how else they could do it, with the amount of enemies and targeting you have to do. It would be horrific in a 3rd person mode.

However, should it be more of a platformer? In third person? To balance it you' d have to lose a lot of the enemies.

Just a question of balance I suppose. The developers had to go with what they felt would be the best experience.
Eman1080

• Total Posts : 77
RE: Classic games remake - Feb 26, 2003 00:19
I love the new sonic games, they are awesome.
HELLBENT

• Total Posts : 58
RE: Classic games remake - Feb 26, 2003 23:41
Actually they did a good job keeping the Metroid feel while giving it a FPS view. Its strange, but the game really can be classified as a First Person Adventure. I really didnt care for it much, but it was still translated or remade quite well IMO.

Rygar was a stellar remake. Many probably didnt play or pay much attention to the original, but take my word for it, Rygar is a sweet game.

Contra is a great remake as is Maximo.

I have found myself gravitating to these " graphically updated remakes" , because they incorporate the new technology, but rely on the tried and true gaming foundations that made me fall in love with gaming in the first place.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Classic games remake - Jun 21, 2006 08:28
WOW! This sh*t is way old...

However, to answer the question in the original post; i think Resident Evil on the Gamecube was probably the greatest remake i' ve seen/played. Not that i expected anything less from Capcom though.
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: Classic games remake - Jun 22, 2006 03:32
Hmmm, a remake that lives up to its original. New Super Mario Bros. anyone? It' s pretty much a remake (though it does add a lot to gameplay).

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll