Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 06:11
...so BioShock 2 incoming!

2K Games Licenses Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3

CARY, N.C. (February 12, 2008) - Epic Games, Inc., one of the world' s leading developers of cutting-edge computer and video games and the pioneer of the award-winning Unreal Engine, today announced that its Unreal Engine 3 technology and tools will be used for unannounced games in development by 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

" 2K had a very positive experience working with Epic' s Unreal Engine 3 since it enables games to perform exceptionally well on both console and the PC," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. " Epic' s technology and support is expected to help 2K produce world-class titles for games on any platform."

" We are excited about continuing our relationship with 2K based on our past success with the company," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. " We have no doubt that the Unreal Engine 3 will continue to assist 2K in producing the industry' s most amazing and original games."

Interesting that since the engine is oh so hard to work with for some developers... (Silicon-we-aren' t-to-blame-for-our-game-being-shit-Knights) ...that major companies are still licensing it... in this case for multiple games.

NOTE: BioShock started out as an UE2.5 based game and was migrated to 3.0 late in it' s development cycle.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 06:26
I can' t remember where I read this, maybe on here somewhere, but just as an interesting aside, it costs $750,000 to license UE3.0.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 06:27
ON a somewhat related note Hollywood is pushing very very hard on 2k to allow for a Bioshock movie. Worth it? Maybe.

Anyhow as much as I liked Bioshock I for some reason slowed down part way through and almost stopped playing it. Then I let Jess borrow. Now it' s gone lol, I didn' t get to finish it. Regardless I' d still really really wanna play another one.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 08:50

ORIGINAL: Zoy

I can' t remember where I read this, maybe on here somewhere, but just as an interesting aside, it costs $750,000 to license UE3.0.

I remember seeing that too. But you can get it cheaper if you get gimped versions, and you can also work out deals to get it for cheaper but they get royalties and such.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 12:52
Anybody thinking about taking the plunge? I got $5 on it!
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 13:41
If the Touchstone people (movie people none-the-less) made Turok look decent enough with UE3, then I am sure any serious developer out there shouldn' t get less than stelar results with it. I am starting to think that Silicon Knights may have just been a case of them being inept and not adapting to the newer technology.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 13:49

ORIGINAL: Chimura

If the Touchstone people (movie people none-the-less) made Turok look decent enough with UE3, then I am sure any serious developer out there shouldn' t get less than stelar results with it. I am starting to think that Silicon Knights may have just been a case of them being inept and not adapting to the newer technology.

Obviously. UE3 is undispudetly the easiest high end game engine to use. Coding, level design, everything blows away the competition.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 13, 2008 15:47
Gamesindustry.biz has some intresting articles and interviews with Ubisoft, Insomniac and Epic about licensing.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: 2K re-license UE3.0 for multiple-games... - Feb 14, 2008 03:59

Anybody thinking about taking the plunge? I got $5 on it!

I' ll put a tenner on it, everyone else can cough up the rest!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll