Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 01:30

Sony Computer Entertainment chairman and chief executive Ken Kutaragi was slammed with more criticism today, this time from Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer himself. This comes just three months after an article in Newsweek berated the executive for his " slowness" in securing PS3 exclusives, which it claims cost Sony PS3-only games including GTA IV, and the highly anticipated Assassin' s Creed.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, it states that the " uncommunicative" Kutaragi was moved in a recent Sony reshuffle because Stringer found him difficult to work with.

The article also states that Kutaragi would frequently make decisions without informing chief exec Stringer, and not tell him about problems in the production process. One example alleged that Kutaragi had allowed the PS3 to go over budget on development costs without clearing it with upper management first.

He also advised for cutting the price of the 20GB console by 20 percent in Japan, a decision which Stringer said he agreed to in a hope it would ensure the console' s success, but now admits, " Financially it wasn' t one of my best moments."

Stringer told the newspaper that in an attempt to patch up relations between the two, he has tried hard to win Kutaragi' s trust, to no avail: " I' ve had dinner with [Mr. Kutaragi] more times than I' ve had dinner with my wife, and that' s not really healthy," he said.

In December, Stringer moved Kutaragi' s role away from the day-to-day control of the games division, and instead he is now focused on the next-gen games side of the business, the article concluded. SCE day-to-day operations are overseen by president Kaz Hirai, former head of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

LINK

So Kutaragi was removed from his post due to screw-ups. Nice to know.

choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 01:56

" I' ve had dinner with [Mr. Kutaragi] more times than I' ve had dinner with my wife, and that' s not really healthy," he said.

Haha, love it.

No wonder things started to go wrong though if two of the big head honchos never got along... Stringer' s said some daft things in his time too though.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 02:15
Good. A move like that should scare some sense into the other idiots at Sony. Perhaps Kaz have taken notice and will do a better job. I' m not going to mention " that racing game" he loves so much. It' s been done before.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 6 Mar 07 18:16:47 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 06:38
Good move.
Ken is a retard,with that said,he made gaming mainstream with Playstation 1.
And shouldn' t be ignored or harassed ,however clearly on later days he been acting like a retard saying all ps3 games will be at 1080p and 120 framerate.
Which doesn' t make any sense.

You could make any game in 1080p and 120 framerate.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 06:53
Ken was starting to act like a fool, Stringer was right to take him out of power but you cannot ignore the work he done on the ps1/ps2.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 07:21
I' m not.
He made gaming mainstream,but he has since ps2 acted like a kiddie saying the most retarded statements ever and lied.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 07:45
Kutaragi was more than happy to sit on his laurels for a generation, expecting the same kind of mainstream sucess brought by the PS2 despite word that there were manufacturing problems and despite the fact that he was letting exclusives slip through his fingers. He assumed that there would be a market for a Sony console despite price and title selection. He was an amazingly innovative man " back in the day" (jeezuz, the 90' s are back in the day now? eughhh), but I think the power screwed him over big time.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 08:25
The man eats champagne with a knife and fork, smokes money and dines on the finest cigars. What concern does he have for the esteem of hardcore gamers when every Christmas he receives a hog stuffed with cash as an annual bonus? Kutaragi is laughing maniacally even as we speak.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 08:53
Ken is a good guy, good to see he' s still working at Sony though.

He' s the type of guy that shouldn' t fall into MS hands.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 10:51

He' s the type of guy that shouldn' t fall into MS hands.

I know. Hes already fucked Sony' s empire, dont want him screwing with MS too
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 11:55
He did screw a lot up. The thing is, Sony had an amazing opportunity. They got to wait another year after Microsofts 360, without being completely screwed over the way MS would if the ps3 released a year before the 360. If they had done it right, they could have come out with a console that actually was more powerful than the xbox360, and made as good an online service as Live in the year they had. Neither happened. Hopefully MS and Sony will stop fighting eachother, and try and slow down that little white runt.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 07, 2007 14:33
Hey Dagashi are you someone else renamed? i would have a hard time believing i havent seen you post before when you have over 300.

As to mister KK, he should be merited for what he brought gaming to, but he got what he deserved! He should know, when MS wants something, they get it!
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 09, 2007 07:05
XBL is trash, and MS hasn' t done anything with their 1 year lead, the only " must have" is Gear Of Wars, which is over rated trash.

Sony is fine.
mastachefbkw

RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 09, 2007 10:52

XBL is trash, and MS hasn' t done anything with their 1 year lead, the only " must have" is Gear Of Wars, which is over rated trash.

Sony is fine.

Why wont you go fucking kill yourself or something? You cant make up your damn mind of what you like. One week MS is garbage, the next its Sony, and the week after that everything is garbage. I think its your life thats overrated trash
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 09, 2007 16:41

Why wont you go fucking kill yourself or something?

Now now Master, thats not contributing anything.

You see, you have to be constructive, and bounce around ideas of how to do it. Now, doing the trendy thing would be to go /emo with the wrists, but it seems to mainstream for him. I think death by electrocution from a high end computer PSU would fit him better. Or my favorite that I have ever heard, the one from the Darwin awards. Tie yourself to a rock to get to the bottom of a quarry where you dropped your watch. Get to the bottom and realise it' s too far down, and then realise the knot you tied is too tight and drown(yes, some guy actually did this in America, you should really check out the books).
mastachefbkw

RE: Stringer sets the record straight on Kutaragi - Mar 10, 2007 05:22

Now now Master, thats not contributing anything.

You see, you have to be constructive, and bounce around ideas of how to do it. Now, doing the trendy thing would be to go /emo with the wrists, but it seems to mainstream for him. I think death by electrocution from a high end computer PSU would fit him better. Or my favorite that I have ever heard, the one from the Darwin awards. Tie yourself to a rock to get to the bottom of a quarry where you dropped your watch. Get to the bottom and realise it' s too far down, and then realise the knot you tied is too tight and drown(yes, some guy actually did this in America, you should really check out the books).

I guess i just have to hope he gets electrocuted

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message