Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 GAF am cry!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
GAF am cry! - Nov 10, 2006 17:30
NeoGAF is full of morons, this post by Zaxxon proves that they' re also weak!!!

I just finished reading EGM' s Gears of War feature, and I am finding myself very turned off by the ability for your character to " curb stomp" other players.

For those who have who have not read the feature, Cliffy B says when talking about a move you can do on a bleeding badguy, that, " You essentially do that scene from American History X, which is the curb stomp." You stomp his head in on the ground, killing him as a finishing move.

I' m sure it' s a bit hypocritical to say that I have no issue with the guns and the chainsaw, but maybe that' s because I' ve been de-sensitized by the number of chainsaw killer movies. Here though they' re emulating the one and only curb stomping scene in cinema, which isn' t about a faceless crazed killer killing anyone randomly, but a racially driven cold blooded murder by essentially a normal guy. I don' t know why you would want to emulate that in a game.

It has been a long time since game makers have made violent games just for the sake of putting more violence in games, Mortal Kombat, and the unreleased Thrill Kill are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, and I' m not exactly sure why we' re returning to that.

I find it amusing that Cliffy B says, " We want to make sure the visual fidelity is so significant that your mom would be like,' Wow, Billy. I' ll spend $299 on this system for you.' " If parents know of the content of this game I don' t know how many are going to spend $299 on it for their kids.

Honestly if I had the option, I wouldn' t want to be able to curb stomp in the game. Maybe I' m getting to old (at 23?), but it' s too much. I have no issue being brutally violent to stupid beetles or other lowly baddies, or the " zombies" of Resident Evil 4, but it' s a different thing being violent to a person.

LINK

23 years old and he thinks the curb stomp is " too much" ???

And i was hoping other developers would make their games more gory. I mean, i' ve been kicked in the head for real and the curb stomp doesn' t put me off.

GAF am cry!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 10, 2006 17:56

because I' ve been de-sensitized by the number of chainsaw killer movies. Here though they' re emulating the one and only curb stomping scene in cinema, which isn' t about a faceless crazed killer killing anyone randomly, but a racially driven cold blooded murder by essentially a normal guy. I don' t know why you would want to emulate that in a game.

What a wimp! im looking forward to curbstomping people!
JalleNalle

• Total Posts : 191
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 10, 2006 22:32
I don' t really think that anyone is offended by a curb stomp? I think they should be more upset that it' s a way to hurt another human being (in this case a locust.)

I' m very sure that GoW haven' t got inspired by the movie American History X and that stomp has been used for ages in movies. I mean c' mon! This racist bs should come to an end. Noone is being a racist! It' s like here in Sweden, we have a ice-cream that' s called " NOGGER Black" , and it got sued because it is to close to being " Nigger" . FFS it says NOGGER not nigger! This bs is retarded.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 10, 2006 22:46
I think it' s more about the online multiplayer where you can play as a member of the Locust Horde and curb stomp a human.

Bear in mind that there is a black character in the game too and that there have been a lot of instances of racism in XBL matches in many games. That' s what this guy is getting at.

He, and anybody else who takes offense to something like that is retarded. The guy hasn' t even played the game. Wait until Jack Thompson gets hold of this!
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 10, 2006 23:33
I don' t think his issue is with any racist (if there even is one) aspect of the game at all. His concern rather is that the developer, for seemingly no other reason thatn just having it in there, has chosen to replicate one of the most horrifyingly shocking scenes in American cinema.
JalleNalle

• Total Posts : 191
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 10, 2006 23:36

I don' t think his issue is with any racist (if there even is one) aspect of the game at all. His concern rather is that the developer, for seemingly no other reason thatn just having it in there, has chosen to replicate one of the most horrifyingly shocking scenes in American cinema.

Well, they do that every week on WWF? Noone cares. But when you stomp the shit out of aliens, they do? Wtf? And there is a diffrance between, the movie scene and this stomp. I don' t see the big deal about it, there is lots of games that use this kind of stomp, and that' s okay?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 11, 2006 03:18
Every time you connect to faceless strangers, you' re going to get a few racist Pr!(ks messing things up.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 11, 2006 09:12
I didn' t think that scene was that shocking... unless the movie I saw was censored or something, he just puts the guys mouth agains the sidewalk the camera zooms back and you see him stomp the guy from war away, I wish the camera would have stayed closed so you could see his jaw seperating from his skull.
C*Dub

• Total Posts : 86
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 11, 2006 09:13
american history x, if you have seen it you know my thoughts
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 11, 2006 09:56

Here though they' re emulating the one and only curb stomping scene in cinema, which isn' t about a faceless crazed killer killing anyone randomly, but a racially driven cold blooded murder by essentially a normal guy. I don' t know why you would want to emulate that in a game.

No they aren' t, Cliffy made Mention of that but in no way in hell is an imitation, hell you can pretty much do the " curb stomp" wherever, they could have called it concrete stomp and had less offended people.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 11, 2006 16:43
I don' t really like realistic violence in entertainment much anymore (although I do respect the artistry of special effects designers), but it' s pretty ridiculous to single out this one particular move in this game. The curb stomp bothers him but shoving a grenade in someone' s chest, or routing someone with a chainsaw is acceptable? It' s all really over-the-top and all the characters are obviously really stylized.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: GAF am cry! - Nov 11, 2006 19:32
Someone tell him to go bother about the next GTA...

That being said, I have never actually SEEN American History X, but I doubt the
curb stomping thing is that bad...

I' ve seen Mississipi (sp?) burning though.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll