Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 00:51
A suprisingly good preview of the new Bourne game, with some surprisingly valid points on why it won' t suck. Highlights below, full story at the LINK.

The combat system itself works rather well - reminding us, in a more solid and gritty way, of the combat in Yu Suzuki' s cult classic Shenmue. The basic fight mechanism works nicely enough, with punching, kicking and blocking all flowing nicely, but it' s all broken up by the incredibly satisfying takedowns - quick-time events which call for swift button presses in time with on-screen cues in order to cripple your unfortunate foes.

Moreover, The Bourne Conspiracy passes one of the key tests for quality in a movie-licensed game, in that it' s not actually coming out remotely near to the movie. Nothing screams shovelware like a tie-in game that launches alongside a film; built to an incredibly short schedule, with an eye to release windows rather than game quality, they' re almost uniformly awful (for example, last Friday' s Jumper: Griffin' s Story, which we suspiciously haven' t been sent). The Bourne Conspiracy, by comparison, is appearing significantly after the last film in the cinematic trilogy disappeared from multiplexes. That' s a good sign.

The beating heart of this game, however, is the fighting - a hand-to-hand combat system that' s brutal, bloody and given additional spice by Bourne' s ability to use his environment to perform bone-crunching, eye-watering takedown movies on his foes. Frequently, combat is a group affair, with Bourne taking on three or four henchmen at once - more high-powered takedowns allow him to hammer as many as three hapless bad guys simultaneously using stylish martial arts movies.

Valdez is something of a veteran of fighting games, having previously worked on the Ready 2 Rumble boxing series. For The Bourne Conspiracy, however, he called in the best professional help that Hollywood has to offer - the services of legendary fight choreographer and stunt co-ordinator Jeff Imada, who was visionary behind the fight sequences in the Bourne movies (and in almost every other action movie you care to name, frankly, with an IMDB credit list longer than a gorilla' s arms).

Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 02:19
You know, by the third Bourne film, I was actually a bit disappointed that they didn' t just pull out all the stops and show the man flying. Particularly when he was running across those rooftops in Morocco -- they should have just gone for broke and shown him making a fifty yard leap, frantically flapping his arms and successfully flying across an impossibly wide chasm. By that point in those movies, I could have believed it.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 04:40
Where' s the Shenmue part?
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 05:25

I think they mean the combat is like Shenmue????
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 05:31

ORIGINAL: canadagamer

I think they mean the combat is like Shenmue????

But the combat in Shenmue is like Virtua Fighter, and every action game these days has quick-time events.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 05:56
That' s the only part I can relate to Shenmue, the whole quick-time events. I guess is only fair to relate to the game that introduced them maybe?

It was Shenmue that introduced them right?
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 05:58
There were other games that used QTE...but that were playable movies like Dragon' s Lair. So yes, Shenmue was the first " real" game to use QTE.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 05:58

" The combat system itself works rather well - reminding us, in a more solid and gritty way, of the combat in Yu Suzuki' s cult classic Shenmue."

I wasn' t stating it as fact. I just found it interesting that they' d chose to pimp the combat system by comparing it to Shenmue. That, and the fact that they didn' t find it to be absolute tripe was interesting too.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 27 Feb 08 21:59:13 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 09:37
damn i didn' t notice that thread before making the other one, sorry eddie, but the combat look awesome, see the other thread for the vids, and i like how the camera moves.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 10:06
I saw some videos. It looks promising. Definitely different from all other movie cash ins.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 28, 2008 21:07

ORIGINAL: Evilkiller

There were other games that used QTE...but that were playable movies like Dragon' s Lair. So yes, Shenmue was the first " real" game to use QTE.

Yes, and I actually still think that the QTE' s in Shenmue are more advanced and better implemented than in other games I' ve played with QTE' s afterwards. There' s a better flow to them also.

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

" The combat system itself works rather well - reminding us, in a more solid and gritty way, of the combat in Yu Suzuki' s cult classic Shenmue."

I wasn' t stating it as fact. I just found it interesting that they' d chose to pimp the combat system by comparing it to Shenmue. That, and the fact that they didn' t find it to be absolute tripe was interesting too.

Yeah, nice reference.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 29, 2008 00:12

damn i didn' t notice that thread before making the other one, sorry eddie

No apologies! I' ll hunt you down in Morocco and beat you for your transgressions![:' (]

Not a biggie.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: The Bourne Conspiracy Like... Shenmue? - Feb 29, 2008 01:05

No apologies! I' ll hunt you down in Morocco and beat you for your transgressions!

Not a biggie.

You midget!! i' ll step on you without even knowing.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll