Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 07:00

Pics from IGN

Take a good look at the tiny chip on the wires, that' s apparently the tilt sensor. Looks a bit like a really good mod job doesn' t it? You' d think that if they' d had plans to put it in their controller all along It' d be integrated, don' t you? IGN' s conclusion is that it really was added weeks before E3 06. So I guess I have to admit I was wrong on this one. I figured because they' d had the patent since ' 99, that they' d had plans on using it in the ps3 since at least then.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 08:24
Hmmm, why am i not surprised. Good find Eddie, that goes a long way to explaining why so few launch games made proper use of the sixaxis.

Wow thats pretty strange. This evidence suggests that the sensor was tacked on (very late in development) and yet they named the controller after it. What if they didn' t add the sensors what would the controller be named??
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 08:57
Dual-Shock 3? That would be it most likely.

This isn' t exactly new anyway, everybody knows that Sony waited to see how Nintendo would do after presenting the Wiimote. And since they did very well, Sony added the Sixaxis.
Terrak

RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 08:59

ORIGINAL: Shikashi

Dual-Shock 3? That would be it most likely.

This isn' t exactly new anyway, everybody knows that Sony waited to see how Nintendo would do after presenting the Wiimote. And since they did very well, Sony added the Sixaxis.

But they don' t have rumble, shouldn' t it be Zero-shock 3???

Heres a few other names i though -

The ps3 no-shock 3
The ps3 dull-shock 3
The ps3 US$599-shock 3
< Message edited by Terrak -- 6 Dec 06 1:14:14 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 10:40
Wow, I didn' t think otherwise...but that was pretty poor on Sony' s part.
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 11:10

But they don' t have rumble, shouldn' t it be Zero-shock 3???

If they didn' t put the six-axis in it would have had the rumble feature instead, so making it Dual-Shock 3.
Terrak

RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 11:40
Well thats if they paid Immersion for the rights to use rumble technology plus the hundred or so million sony owe Immersion for patent infringements. Since they haven' t they removed the rumble feature altogether and replaced it with what now looks likely a tacked on motion sensor to ' counter Nintendos Wiimote 3D motion sensing.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 6 Dec 06 3:46:08 >
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 06, 2006 14:02

What if they didn' t add the sensors what would the controller be named??

Has everyone forgotten good ol' Boomer, the Boomerang Controller that comes back to you after you thwack a squirrel in your backyard?
Terrak

RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 07, 2006 06:57
LOL the boomer. IMO they should have kept that design (the boomer!), atleast it was more original then re using the ps1/ps2 controller.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 07, 2006 08:49
...yeah i really liked the batarrang too.....

...shame Sony didn' t just downsize it to a similar sort of dimensions as a dualshock......
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 07, 2006 09:12
The " Dual Bananna' s" had rumble though... But why then would it have rumble and be shaped like...

Okay, the stupid jokes stop here.

Hmmm, why am i not surprised. Good find Eddie, that goes a long way to explaining why so few launch games made proper use of the sixaxis.
Thanks. We all knew the developers didn' t know about the SIXAXIS until a week-or-so until the show, IF that. I just didn' t realise that they' d hired www.modtaiw*n.com (letter removed to prevent acces to satan' s workshop) to make their controllers for them.

SIXAXIS was a true copout for Sony. It was cheap, availiable, trendy, easy to produce, and didn' t require the tricky & expensive litigation that rumble did. It makes me wonder if they' re going to release a perhipheral for their dualshock controllers. In games where rumble effects gameplay.
Terrak

RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 07, 2006 11:03
Kaz Harai didn' t even know what they would call the ps3 controller until a couple of months ago, though possibly it could be because they wanted to keep it a secret (Why???).
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 07, 2006 13:07
Was Sony all out to pre-empt the mysterious Nintendo ' Revolution' at the time?

I' m not sure of the timeline, but maybe Sony got a little be scared when they heard the admirations and praise developers gave the then ' Revolution' , and so chose to have one last ' big gun' to deploy at E3 in order to steal some steam off of the Wii...
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 07, 2006 17:05

ORIGINAL: Phoenix|Slash

If they didn' t put the six-axis in it would have had the rumble feature instead, so making it Dual-Shock 3.

:D..................

:D..................

Welcome to Kikizo..
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Sixaxis a Rip? The Final Verdict - Dec 08, 2006 10:12

maybe Sony got a little be scared when they heard the admirations and praise developers gave the then ' Revolution' , and so chose to have one last ' big gun' to deploy at E3 in order to steal some steam off of the Wii...

Maybe they tried for a big gun, but most of their " sudden mega-announcments" really haven' t been all that huge.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll