Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Monster Hunter Tri Review
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 23, 2010 20:44
http://videogamesdaily.com/reviews/201004/monster-hunter-tri-review/

8/10

I sure am getting bored of handing out eights.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 25, 2010 11:19
It's as shittily terrible as God of War 3?  Oh no!
Edwin

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 25, 2010 13:33
Iad umboros

It's as shittily terrible as God of War 3?  Oh no!

Oh yes, he went there ;)

If anyone's up for some Great-Baggi-boshing online, you know where to find me.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 26, 2010 21:54
Edwin, I told you that whenever it's a game that a lot of people have been looking forward you should just slap a 6/10 or 7/10 on that sucker, kick back and watch the complaints roll in.

It's amazing how some people seem to treat your 8s as if they were 3s, LOL..   8 is a Great score but somehow people still find a way to b'tch, lol..

As for the game itself, your description sounds brutally accurate to my experiences with the PSP Monster Hunter games. The larger monsters (Wyverns, etc.) you battle just seem way too friggin tough to topple on your own a lot of times. Sometimes it seemed as if I'd be battling the same monster for almost an hour and getting nowhere, lol.. At the very least I wish a health gauge was displayed for all of the bosses so you had an idea of how much progress you were making.

You should review the next high profile Metal Gear game and slap a 6/10 on it and just watch all of the mass suicides take place. while rubbing your hands together and laughing maniacally.
<message edited by Terry Bogard on Apr 27, 2010 05:18>
Edwin

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 26, 2010 23:34
Health bars, you say? Thank your lucky stars I'm not Keza from IGN/Eurogamer/everybody worth a damn - she'd skin you alive at the mere mention of health bars.
One thing I forgot to mention in the review is that Tri has different sets of quests for on and offline play - it's not like in the PSP games where you'd get more or less the same, bastard-hard monsters whether you hunted in company or not. Things still get tough at higher levels, obviously, but not quite insane-o-tough.

<message edited by Edwin on Apr 26, 2010 23:35>
Terry Bogard

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 27, 2010 05:11
The people you mentioned have a problem with health bars? lol..
I LOOOVE being able to see enemy health bars, it's good to see how much progress you're making during a boss fight instead of hacking and slashing away at a boss for half an hour and having no clue as to how much damage you've inflicted upon them. I'll say it for the entire health bar-hating world to read, with the exception of the Gradius series I wish enemy health bars on ALL real-time games that have boss fights!
Terry Bogard

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 27, 2010 05:17
Edwin

Health bars, you say? Thank your lucky stars I'm not Keza from IGN/Eurogamer/everybody worth a damn - she'd skin you alive at the mere mention of health bars.
One thing I forgot to mention in the review is that Tri has different sets of quests for on and offline play - it's not like in the PSP games where you'd get more or less the same, bastard-hard monsters whether you hunted in company or not. Things still get tough at higher levels, obviously, but not quite insane-o-tough.

She sounds like the type of person that thought Ninja Gaiden just wasn't "hard enough", all while dying about 20 - 30 times throughout the game.
Edwin

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 27, 2010 11:37
Terry Bogard

I LOOOVE being able to see enemy health bars, it's good to see how much progress you're making during a boss fight instead of hacking and slashing away at a boss for half an hour and having no clue as to how much damage you've inflicted upon them. I'll say it for the entire health bar-hating world to read, with the exception of the Gradius series I wish enemy health bars on ALL real-time games that have boss fights!

You big n00b :p 

You're meant to deduce the monster's fighting fitness from its behaviour - telltale limps, damaged body parts, retreating to secluded areas, etc - not some big arbitrary green line in top right. Sheesh. Keza wouldn't just skin you, she'd turn you into a fetching leather breastplate. GROW SOME BALLS.
Terry Bogard

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 27, 2010 22:24
Edwin

Terry Bogard

You big n00b :p 

You're meant to deduce the monster's fighting fitness from its behaviour - telltale limps, damaged body parts, retreating to secluded areas, etc - not some big arbitrary green line in top right. Sheesh. Keza wouldn't just skin you, she'd turn you into a fetching leather breastplate. GROW SOME BALLS.

That's doable in many other games BUT with the Monster Hunter games those battles seem to go on forever and ever if you're playing alone and I'd like some visual indicator that I'm not wasting my time, LOL..

NO other game makes me want life bars on enemy bosses moreso than the Monster Hunter games. Other than that I've been fine without them in most other games. Another thing I like about life bars is that not only do they provide me with some sort of hope during boss battles because I get to see the lives of the enemy  bosses get sucked away with each slash and blast but they're also a quick and easy way to tell what the most effective attack combos are in your arsenal and spam the hell out of them!

By the way, who is this Keza and does she enjoy long walks on the beach with men with no balls?
<message edited by Terry Bogard on Apr 27, 2010 22:29>
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 29, 2010 02:24
Why do you bitch about the game's graphics when its easily the best looking Wii game? Is every Wii game automatically going to lose 2 points just because you like to play in HD? 

Anyway, I don't mind the score but the review itself makes no sense, it's like crying about Uncharted 2 not looking good enough when it's obviously the best looking game on any console, because I happen to have a high end PC, so I'm automatically going to take 2 points off every PS3/360 game.
<message edited by emofag on Apr 29, 2010 02:27>
Edwin

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - Apr 29, 2010 10:03
I didn't take two whole points off just for the graphics! I marked it down chiefly for a continuing basic lack of accessibility, failure to exploit the motion controls and the absence of some of my favourite weapons. I agree that I could have explained the point more thoroughly though.

The Monster Hunter art style tends towards photorealism, and involves a lot of fine details - item drops, text boxes, what have you. That kind of aesthetic simply suits a higher resolution. It's not that it would have looked *better* in some half-baked general sense on PS360, it's that the art teams plainly have a level of fidelity and finesse in mind that the Wii is not equipped to cater for. It wouldn't have mattered so much if they'd found a compelling use for motion sensitivity, which after all is something you can't (currently) replicate on the other consoles, but they haven't.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - May 11, 2010 22:33
Yeah, you're still missing the point. 

I didn't think in 2010 people would still be missing the point but, the Wii is basically a very weak console that happens to have half-assed motion controls, the motion controls aren't what define the console, that's just what powers the hype machine.

Take super mario galaxy for example, some would argue it makes good use of motion controls, I argue that the game is fantastic but would be much better played without motion on a 360 controller, and that's the same way I feel about most Wii games including MH3.  For me, motion controls already proved to be unimpressive, so when I'm looking at a Wii game I really do not give a shit at all if it controls with classic or motion controllers, I care if it is actually fun to play, because after 3-4 years of Wii everyone should know the good games on the system are good just because they are fun, not because of their method of control.

So that is why I find it surprising that you would oversaturate the significance of motion controls for Wii in 2010, when for all intents and purposes in the eyes of the people who really play games with a passion the verdict is that motion controls suck.

So I would actually give it an extra point to Capcom for having the balls to come out and say "hey, yeah we know this is a wii exclusive, we know we have to support motion controls, but you know what, we're going to be 100% honest with you - motion controls are garbage, so we're bundling the game with a classic controller".  Very few devs have the balls to do that and still maintain a relatively succesfull game.

I mean, would you take points off a ps3 game for not using the stupid-ass motion sensors the DS2 has? Nah not really, cause motion controls suck and you don't give a shit, so why should you for Wii?  Just because nintendo hypes up motion controls?
<message edited by emofag on May 11, 2010 22:35>
Terry Bogard

Re:Monster Hunter Tri Review - May 12, 2010 04:36
I have to agree that motion controls do suck, at least in 99% of the games I've played. The only game I enjoyed motion controls in was Heavenly Sword --- using the feature to guide projectiles.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll