Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My copy of TOCA arrived today!
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 06, 2004 05:34
Hats off to Adam for hooking me up. Can' t wait until I' m decent enough to play this game online.... so I' ll see you guys in 2007. You' ll wait for me, right?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 02:06
Don' t woory that game takes no time to get used to. The thing thatll get you tho is the fact that each race is different in the season mode. Went from trucks on a oval track to rally cars on the dirt road, and ,damn, you can feel the difference. Variety a plenty. Enjoy the game and get on LIVE asap.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 02:20
Wrong! The game takes a LONG time to get used to. In fact, have you ever raced a car on the ice? Well ALL of Toca 2' s cars handle like their wheels are made out of ice. It is hard to take a turn (especially in stock car mode) without going into spins. The more I play this game, the more I hate it. NONE of the cars control well. They ALL control sluggishly, unlike Rallisport 2. At least in Rallisport 2 when you press left, you turn left and don' t spin out. Also, if you spin out even once in a race, you MUST restart or otherwise you will most likely not place high enough to advance.

You get what you pay for, I guess. Whoever programmed the physics for this game needs to be fired. If it wasnt for the CONSTANT spinning out, the game would be AWESOME! But I think I' ve had enough. It is crap simply do to the physics and the control. You have been warned.

Oh, and racing games are my favorite genre, by the way.
lotusson

RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 02:38

Wrong! The game takes a LONG time to get used to. In fact, have you ever raced a car on the ice? Well ALL of Toca 2' s cars handle like their wheels are made out of ice.

You know, that is exactly the same feeling I got playing Rallisport 2 at work. I think the physics are great for an arcade/sim mix, but I couldn' t call the handling in R2 realistic.

It is hard to take a turn (especially in stock car mode) without going into spins.

I' ve actually gotten use to the turning in Toca already. I don' t spin out too much during turns. Right now I' m still learning how to maximize my speed in turns, because I can take them pretty well but I' m not going to wow anybody just yet. My biggest concern with turns is running into other cars and spinning out because of that.

At least in Rallisport 2 when you press left, you turn left and don' t spin out.

Haven' t had that problem myself.

Also, if you spin out even once in a race, you MUST restart or otherwise you will most likely not place high enough to advance.

It can be annoying from a gameplay aspect, but I don' t mind it too much. After all, when real racers spin out they can kiss their top 10 finish good-bye. I don' t see why a game can' t be any different.

You get what you pay for, I guess. Whoever programmed the physics for this game needs to be fired. If it wasnt for the CONSTANT spinning out, the game would be AWESOME! But I think I' ve had enough. It is crap simply do to the physics and the control. You have been warned.

Thanks for the heads up, but I think these are some of the best physics I' ve seen in a long time as well as some of the best track designs.

Oh, and racing games are my favorite genre, by the way.

Racers are far from my favorite genre, but I usually play games like Gran Turismo 3 (although I' m not a fan of the track design), Sega GT, Test Drive Lemans, Toca of course, and a few others. But I can' t get into many straight arcade racers.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 02:45
Joe' s game description reminds me of how I feel about the Sega Rally series, lol.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 04:11
Sega Rally on the Saturn handled pretty well, except for the 4th course which you would ping-pong all over the place. Sega Rally 2 definitely could have used about 4 more months in development.

The thing with Toca 2 is that I spun out on Rallycross going 35 MPH. Ummm.... no. I don' t think that can happen. I agree that there is no way anyone can label Rallisport' s handling as realistic, but I enjoy the game anyway.

The first stock car championship in career mode is where I' m at right now in Toca 2. I' m at Pike' s Peak and there is a mandatory pit. Right as I start out, I try to manuever around a ca, but I spin out. I touch another car, I spin out. Ahhhh!!!!! I think I have made it two laps without spinning out on the Pike' s Peak course in the stock car. Even when there is no other cars on the road, I spin out for no reason, it seems.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 04:24
I remember in one of the oval tracks (pikes peak is the one possibly) where it had an irregularity in the track. I couldn' t figure out how to get the turn right in it, but my girlfriend somhow got thru the track with ease first time thru and everytime after...she won' t tell me how...

**quick edit**
last minute thought. Joe try going into the turn full speed or w/e, and just as you start the turn let go of the gas completly tapping it a lil to keep your speed at about 100-105 mph all the way thru, then take off at the end, that should prevent a spin out. Avoid the brake, just let your speed come down on its own. I' ll try racing it again later.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 6/7/2004 4:29:31 AM >
lotusson

RE: My copy of TOCA arrived today! - Jun 07, 2004 04:26
hahaha

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages