Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 00:17
Europe will be left waiting well past March. That' s becomming pretty clear.

Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., which slashed its profit forecast yesterday, said it may not reach this year' s shipment target for the PlayStation 3 game console because of a parts shortage in the Blu-ray high-definition disc drive.

Sony plans to ship two million PlayStation 3 players this year to the U.S. and Japan, and six million worldwide by March. The Tokyo-based company said yesterday annual profit would fall 35 percent to its lowest in five years on price cuts of the console in Japan and a recall of 9.6 million computer batteries.

``The honest answer is it' s more of a target' ' for PlayStation 3 shipments, Jack Tretton, co-chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said yesterday in an interview. ``Clearly we' ve had production issues.' '

A shortage of the PlayStation 3 would give Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co. a bigger head start in the $20 billion console market when they sell their players next month in time for the year' s biggest sales season. Sony cut the price of the PS3 in Japan after consumers complained it was too expensive compared with Microsoft' s Xbox 360 and Nintendo' s Wii.

EDIT: LINK (Bloomberg)

LINK (IGN)
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 22 Oct 06 16:36:48 >
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 00:37

Europe will be left waiting well past March. That' s becomming pretty clear.

Could that mean I might just have VF5 as an unofficial launch game

Let' s hope it' s not region-locked, as that really would mess things up bad.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 00:46
Miss March?

what? they want a death warrent?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 00:56
Looks like Sony' s going to have 2 positives and 2 negatives in the hardware launch department. The PlayStation and PSP launches went smoothly, whereas the PlayStation 2 and now the PlayStation 3 launch will be filed in the rushed, sloppy launch category.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 22 Oct 06 16:57:54 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 01:20
Let' s just push all the launch dates back and do it right Sony! That' s bull. Although not unexpected. They say they' re having trouble, and then go right on saying they' ll meet their goal for production, and then there' s rumours about them missing it, and then they finally say that their goal was more of a hazy starting point to begin with.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 02:24
Three weekas ago I read that Sony might not be able to reach its 2 million goal, this is old news to me. It looks like we' ll have a better chance at finding Jesus November 17th then finding a PS3.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sony to miss projected 2M end of year target - Oct 23, 2006 06:47

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Three weekas ago I read that Sony might not be able to reach its 2 million goal, this is old news to me. It looks like we' ll have a better chance at finding Jesus November 17th then finding a PS3.

LOL

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message