Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 01:01

Microsoft has denied the possibility that the Grand Theft Auto IV exclusive DownLoadable Content (DLC) it is paying an arm and a leg for could make it onto the PlayStation 3.

Speaking in an interview, Aaron Greenberg, director of product management for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, responded to a question regarding ' a Sony exec' stating that the Xbox 360' s exclusive content coming to the PS3 as follows:

" It' s not possible as far as I' m aware, but that would be a good question to ask Rockstar. Rockstar and Xbox have only said there are exclusive episodes coming this fall to Xbox 360. I might put that up for a bit of wishful thinking on their end."

By ' them' , of course, he is referring Sony. More specifically he' s referring to David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

When Reeves was asked, " Is it damaging to Sony and PlayStation that there is no DLC for GTA IV on PS3?" , he responded, " Well I think you probably will see it, it' s just that a deal obviously was struck between Microsoft and Take 2 to do that. And if that' s what they want to do, I think that' s the last shot they have."

A couple of questions are left hanging by Reeves' comments. Does " it" refer to the ' exclusive' episodic content?
\ advertisement /

/ advertisement \

No - that would be insanely contract-breaking. As Sony' s VP of product marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, Scott Steinberg, pointed out Microsoft " spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries to get (it)" . That GNP by the way is $50m.

More realistic is the suggestion that items like new cars and weapons might be made available as DLC. The availability of such content on the PS3 might not violate the Microsoft/Take Two deal and could be what Reeves is referring to.

What, exactly, does Reeves mean by " that' s the last shot they have" ? The last shot ever at winning the console wars? The last shot of GTA IV content? What?!?! Unless Reeves knows something we don' t about Microsoft ceasing to bother with GTA in future that is.

Probed further, Reeves became evasive, saying, " I' m honestly not going to make any comment on that because it' s too big a thing to... we can make an announcement when we make an announcement." He also said, " e-mail Rockstar, ask them what' s coming" . Since Greenberg also passed the buck and said this is a good question for Rockstar, SPOnG contacted Rockstar.

When Rockstar doesn' t comment on rumour and speculation, we' ll let you know.

Your thoughts?
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 01:11
It' s a secret war... Let' s put on our tinfoil hats and hide in the basement... Regardless of that I think that the missions could be coming for the PS3 in 2009 or something like that but the Xbox will definetly get them at least 6 months before. 50 mil. isn' t enough to keep the missions exclusive for the Xbox forever.. Unless T2 consists of idiots
< Message edited by Kelvinellenton -- 17 May 08 17:11:39 >
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 01:15

ORIGINAL: Kelvinellenton
50 mil. isn' t enough to keep the missions exclusive for the Xbox forever.. Unless T2 consists of idiots

Are you serious ? You think 50 mil isnt enough ? I would say if MS payed 50 mil for a 6 month exclusive deal then they are the idiots here ..
Kelvinellenton

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 01:26
There' s been sold millions of copies of the game(T2 have made over half an billion) and most of them will buy the episodes. Microsoft will make millions especially because no information has been leaked about the deal except the amount of money so nobody knows whetever it' s also coming for the PS3. They have made millions on selling the Xbox 360' s just because of the DLC. R* has been cheated for millions if they aren' t allowed to sell them for the PS3 after a period of time
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 01:29
This is downloadable content we are talking about .. Many games have budgets less than 50 mil ...
Kelvinellenton

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 01:31
GTA IV cost 100 million dollars to make
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 03:48
True... and when you subtract the 50 mil that M$ paid them to keep the DLC exclusive, it cut expenses in half. There' s just no way that it' s going to be a timed exclusive for that kind of money.

Having said that, unless the DLC contains tons of co-op missions, it doesn' t really interest me. The main game isn' t exactly lacking in single-player missions.
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 04:14
I would expect there to be more than one item of DLC and for everything other than the " exclusive" episode to be multiplatform.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 05:11

ORIGINAL: 2pac

This is downloadable content we are talking about .. Many games have budgets less than 50 mil ...

Yeah, almost all games.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 07:21
Keep in mind that Rockstar might also get payed per download.

There is no way PS3 or the PC is getting that content, its 360 exclusive!
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 10:17
It' s only 2 downloadable episodes. It' s not like they can' t make more later on and put them on the PS3. The first 2, however will not go PS3, but I think it will go to PC just like everything else " 360 exclusive" .
Vx Chemical

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 17:13

but I think it will go to PC just like everything else " 360 exclusive" .

MS stand to make nothing if it goes to the PC. They would want the 360 version to be " the" version.

50 million is the price of a high end game, Gears of War cost around 25 mill as far as i remember.

So i think they payed for the PS3 not to have any downloadable episodes what so ever.
Majik

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 20:28

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

but I think it will go to PC just like everything else " 360 exclusive" .

MS stand to make nothing if it goes to the PC. They would want the 360 version to be " the" version.

There will be a clause in the agreement that allows Rockstar to put the 360 DLC in the PC version.
Vx Chemical

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 22:17

There will be a clause in the agreement that allows Rockstar to put the 360 DLC in the PC version.

Why?`Rockstar gained 50 mill for the deal which is maybe 1/8 of what Rockstar will make all in all from GTA, iv you say they will make 400.000.000.

I dont see why MS would let it on to the PC, and i dont see why rockstar should care.
Majik

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 22:26
Microsoft would " allow" *smirk* it because it doesn' t affect them. PS3 still doesn' t get it and PC would be getting it 12 months later... so it doesn' t make any difference to Microsoft.

Rockstar wouldn' t put out a PC version of GTA IV that wasn' t " complete" . They' d get slated if they did.

Plus, if the EA/Take 2 deal goes through it' s they' ll look at whether the penatly incurred by breaking Take 2' s original contract with Microsoft is less than the projected profits of releasing the content on PS3. If it is then they' ll release it on PS3.
Vx Chemical

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 22:34

Microsoft would " allow" *smirk* it because it doesn' t affect them. PS3 still doesn' t get it and PC would be getting it 12 months later... so it doesn' t make any difference to Microsoft.

They make money selling the game on the xbox, and they make nothing selling it on the PC, nothing at all. Unless Take two gives MS % of the PC sales ofcourse.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 22:48
Maybe MS will allow it if its put as a windows live title or vista exclusive. Many Xbox/360 exclusive games made it to the PC. PC is MS' s platform as well.
Vx Chemical

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 23:01

Maybe MS will allow it if its put as a windows live title or vista exclusive. Many Xbox/360 exclusive games made it to the PC. PC is MS' s platform as well.

Yeah, but they wer microsoft published. Unless microsoft publishes a title they make nothing from it if its released on the PC.

I dont see MS allowing something they payed for, to be sold without them making something from it.
Majik

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 18, 2008 23:21

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Yeah, but they wer microsoft published. Unless microsoft publishes a title they make nothing from it if its released on the PC.

I dont see MS allowing something they payed for, to be sold without them making something from it.

What is it you don' t get?

If Take 2 wrote it into the contract and PS3 doesn' t get it then what difference does it make to Microsoft?

The content belongs to Take 2 and Microsoft are paying for it to be 360 " exclusive" , but there' s no way in hell that Take 2 wouldn' t have written in a clause that allows them to include it in the PC version - whether that' s an agreement whereby the 360 DLC has to sell X number of copies beforehand or is exclusive for X number of months etc...

Take 2 could just simply break the contract and incur the penalty if they want to release it on PS3, but i can' t see that happening unless EA buy them.

Vx Chemical

RE: GTAIV DLC " Not Possible" for PS3 - May 19, 2008 00:13

What is it you don' t get?

Take it easy! your guesses are as good as mine!

Why would microsoft give something for free to Take Two and Rockstar?

for 50mill MS payed for the episodes to be made not for them to be exclusive.

There could be a clause stating they will go to the pc, im sure MS well get some money if that happens.

Take Two isnt sitting on the money in this deal, if microsoft no fucking way its going to the PC do you think Take Two would have said no to the 50 million? thats half of what it cost to make the whole game. no fucking way.

Are you sure it isnt just because your hoping to get to play the whole thing on PC
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message