Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 24, 2008 21:44
If you have a unit known to be defective, might as well bust out the old nuts & bolts, because Microsoft won't be fixing 'em for you after your three-year date. Just figured I'd remind everybody. We just got Chou's up and running again, but his warranty is obviously voided.

Is there anybody here who still has a launch unit?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 24, 2008 21:58
By launch unit, do you mean purchased at launch, or is still running from launch, because I purchased mine sometime around the first week of January 06.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 24, 2008 22:40
Running from launch.

IE, does this affect anybody?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 24, 2008 22:44
IGN is showing people how to red ring their 360's because of this.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 24, 2008 23:25
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/articles/932099/breaking-the-360-video-feature/videos/broken360_111808.aspx

Heh, I think MS might notice this trick.

My unit has been perfect for the last few days since I put it together properly, but its just started to show a few cracks.  Specifically with Gears 2 actually, since it never did anything with Mirror's Edge or the Tomb Raider demo.

Gears 2 seems to freeze/crash every so often.  The first time today it red ringed when I restarted it.  So I just cooked it again, and once again it was ok.  It crashed for a second time just now, but this time without the RROD.  I can probably play a couple of chapters at a time.

So I'm thinking I might need to play about with the tightness of the screws a little.  At the moment they're not ultra tight, but at the point where I would have needed to grip harder to screw them further.  I dunno whether they need to be more tight or less tight.

But I'm thinking I might be doing damage to the chips by repeatedly cooking them.  So far I've had 3 RRODs on this one unit, and its still going for the time being. 
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 25, 2008 01:30
Who needs a warranty when the machine was so well designed and manufactured?  It certainly wouldn't be selling so well if it was prone to breakdown because as the Ford Pinto taught us, consumers are NOT stupid!  No siree.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 25, 2008 01:32
choupolo

But I'm thinking I might be doing damage to the chips by repeatedly cooking them.  So far I've had 3 RRODs on this one unit, and its still going for the time being. 

Deliberately letting components overheat to dangerous levels will always shorten it's lifespan. Personally, I'd be avoiding the baking method altogether and use something like a heatgun. Considering that all you want to do is soften the BGA, it's probably safer and more precise because it doesn't stress everything else on the PCB.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 25, 2008 03:46
You're generally okay with overheating manually. You're never going to go much higher than the unit's operational temperature threshold. Their 2-ring shutdown failsafe is put in place *before* any real structural "damage" takes place, short of plying up the PCB a little bit.

Heatgunning and reflowing on the other hand, is an entirely different story. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, you can absolutely wreck your mobo. The most I've ever seen a board professionally reflowed was twice. The third time I started to hear snaps and sizzles as the caps started popping.

IGN is showing people how to red ring their 360's because of this.

They also got their gumpiest, most awkward interns to do their video featurettes. Way to go IGN... If you're going to encourage warranty fraud, at least get somebody who doesn't act like a virgin on prom night on camera.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:360 Turns 3 - Warranties Begin to Void - Nov 26, 2008 19:10
Been playing around with my unit and it seems like tighter screws was the answer.  Had to cook it for a fourth time, but it seems stable now the screws are almost as tight as they can be.  Managed about 2 whole acts of Gears 2, no probs. 

I did leave it for a lot longer to cool after cooking this time, maybe this made a difference.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll