Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 43
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 28, 2006 16:47
We all know how the Xbox360 was built with extreme amounts of incompetence, but up until I played Gears of War my console only crashed rarely due to it' s pathetic build quality. But when I play Gears of War, the thing freezes probably every 10 to 15 minutes or so. Are the programmers of Gears of War just super incompetent, or can the Xbox360 just not handle this game?

The system doesn' t get any hotter than it normally does when it plays, say, Dead Rising. It' s just as well ventilated as it always has been. Obviously the system is not built to handle games like Gears of War so it keeps freezing. I keep reading posts by other people how their Xbox360' s died while playing Gears of War.

I hope the PS3 is built better than this piece of crap. And the 360 IS a piece of crap. Either that or the programmers of Gears of War are super incompetent. Someone really needs a kick in the nuts over this issue. Maybe I will e-mail the Gears of War guy Billy G or whatever his lame-ass name is.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 28 Dec 06 8:50:01 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 28, 2006 17:19
The 360 itself is as you say a peice of shit. As I mentioned before, the factories in which they are built were not prepared for RoHS which was enforced late in the planing stages, because of this each 360 has a very short shelf life as the employees working in the factories were properly prepared for the limitiations enforced due to RoHS. The thing is, Nintendo and Sony have adjusted to RoSH years ago when it was first introduced but MS had to outsource manufacturing and they unknowingly chose factories that were behind the change.

I keep thinking their problems will go away once they use the 65nm proccess for the Xenos. Which was supposed to happen early 2007 but I' ve heard they pushed it back to mid 2007.

So far my second 360 is holding up ok aside from the disc tray jamming and not opening and the 360 simply not turning on at all (no red lights). Piece of shit. If the 360 had the build quality of the PS3 or Wii it would be perfect.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 28 Dec 06 9:26:33 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 28, 2006 22:16
The game frozze on me once or twice. But it didnt break the 360.

What do you think of the game Joe? or have you got far enough to play it much?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 28, 2006 23:14
They do have a serious problem with the console, and in denmark with the exchange of a new or refurbished console, since UPS havent even picked up my unit yet!

Im seriously pissed, well i bought Zelda for my gamecube, atleast the console is sturdy!
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 28, 2006 23:29
This link will solve most of your problems however, you' ll most likely have to reinstall the updates.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11131/Xbox-360-Cache-Clear-Code-Revealed/
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 00:37
How long had you guys been playing when the console froze?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 07:40
I like the game and am thankful that is saves a lot so I don' t get set back very far when I have to reset.

George, will this erase any of my game saves or the like?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 08:06
Your saves and downloaded content will remain, it just clears the consoles cache. Any updates for games however will have to be re-downloaded but since they do it automatically it' s not a big deal.
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 08:08
thats so funny, im one of the few users here at kikizo who its not in love whit its 360 and my console works better than many of yours, it works quite well in fact, it only has problems with EA games and Deade Rising but besides that it works good.
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 11:42
Um, my 360 has only froze once on me when I was playing Oblivion earlier in the year 2006. Since then it has never crashed... Maybe its the " cor" factor?
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 12:02
My 1st 360 died, my 2nd froze on me many times with oblivion, I' ve had it freeze with practically every game at least 3-4 times though.

It' s funny how backwards Microsoft is going, I' ve been playing PC games alot lately and I never even worry about freezes or stupid shit like that, it used to be in the past that PC games were buggy and gave errors and froze all the time, now PC games play perfectly and the X360 trash cant even play a game without freezing and/or killing itself.

I can open up a game on my PC, get up and go on vacation for 2 weeks, come back, and the game is still up and running - I' ve done this. Xbox360 - I play 5 minutes and it crashes, what a piece of shit.

< Message edited by Evil Man -- 29 Dec 06 4:07:08 >
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 15:10
I think it might be because the CPU shares memory with the GPU..
So if you get to many enemies on your screen it will crash. :(
I' ve never played GeOW, and I don' t got X360, but I' ve been told on the internet that it' s the perfect game on the perfect console. :-/
So that means it' s not Microsoft faults for building the console in strange ways, it' s not Epics fault for programming bad.
That leaves the blame to fall on yourself, since you do not kill enemies quick enough. When there is coming new enemies walking into your TV, the GPU is stealing the memory the CPU were supposed to use, thus crashing your game.. :-/

nah.. I don' t know, really.. Just been pondering abit on that shared memory-feature on 360. :P
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 29, 2006 20:53
It' s got nothing to do with shared memory. If anything, the memory allocation on 360 is actually quite flexible and efficient.

I' d say many of the cases would be overheating problems that, over time, lead to permanent hardware damage. All consoles are made of cheap ass hardware that' s supplied by the lowest bidder and chipsets are manufactured at yield limits to respond to demand. So when the hardware is pushed really hard, it dies. This is one of the reasons why I prefer PC gaming to console gaming: the quality of hardware is miles ahead.

While the 65nm process for the CPU that will be introduced in mid 07 will reduce problems, I think most of the high temps would be coming from the GPU. ATI chipsets have always run very hot and the Xenos is pretty advanced stuff. So I wonder if they' re going to address that too?
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 00:08
Got a launch 360 and haven' t had a single problem ever.
ginjirou

RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 00:54

This is one of the reasons why I prefer PC gaming to console gaming: the quality of hardware is miles ahead.

Yes and so is the price and effort to keep it at that quality
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 29 Dec 06 16:54:54 >
UnluckyOne

RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 04:56
That argument is no longer as relevant as it used to be. To get the most out of a console these days, you need to fork out thousands on an HDTV. You' ll pay roughly the same for a complete PC as you will a complete console system with HDTV.

A little PC knowhow is all that' s needed to keep things running well. If my mother can do it, anyone can.
ginjirou

RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 06:08

To get the most out of a console these days, you need to fork out thousands on an HDTV.

I think you can assume that people who buy consoles already has TV' s.
I mean, you don' t go buy a new PC screen everytime you upgrade your PC do you?
And a nice 32" PC screen costs a lot too, just as a new TV does. So I don' t get your argument there.
PC' s need screens, consoles need TV' s. Same shit.

A little PC knowhow is all that' s needed to keep things running well. If my mother can do it, anyone can.

I don' t know what " a little PC knowhow" is to you but keeping your PC at the top practically forces you to keep up with hardware news and you have to learn how to upgrade in a safe way etc. That takes a lot of time, I mean, simply getting the latest news on what to buy takes an awful lot of time.
Then you have to install the games, tweak the settings, download patches and upgrades, etc.

Oh and PC' s have practically no good games compared to consoles [:' (]
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 29 Dec 06 22:11:05 >
UnluckyOne

RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 07:29

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

I think you can assume that people who buy consoles already has TV' s.
I mean, you don' t go buy a new PC screen everytime you upgrade your PC do you?
And a nice 32" PC screen costs a lot too, just as a new TV does. So I don' t get your argument there.
PC' s need screens, consoles need TV' s. Same shit.

I stated that to get the most out of a console these days you need a HDTV. Of course people will have a TV, most likely a standard 4:3 CRT that' s 5+ years old. But if I wanted to get the most out of my 360 or go for that true " High Def" experience of a PS3, I' d have to currently fork out a few thousand for a HDTV.

For a PC, I' d only have to fork out a couple of hundred to get the same/greater resolution screen. Granted, the screen is smaller, but a 32" LCD is generally too big, not realistic for PC uses and can give motion sickness due to it taking up your peripheral vision. Response times on those types of monitors are usually extremely poor as well.

When I do a PC upgrade, the cost is usually negligible (less than $100 - roughly the same price as a game). I don' t usually bother when it' s any higher. Whenever I do a true big " upgrade" of a PC every 3 years or so, I just buy a new PC and keep the old one as a second. So I guess I could say yes, I do buy a new PC screen everytime I do a major " upgrade" .

I' m not trying to argue that PC gaming is somehow cheaper than console gaming - it' s not. But if I were to currently Buy a PS3 + decent HDTV, it' d cost the same as me buying a whole new high end PC system. I' m sure it' s the same for a lot of people. The cost difference between console gaming and PC gaming is no longer as significant as it used to be.

I don' t know what " a little PC knowhow" is to you but keeping your PC at the top practically forces you to keep up with hardware news and you have to learn how to upgrade in a safe way etc. That takes a lot of time, I mean, simply getting the latest news on what to buy takes an awful lot of time.
Then you have to install the games, tweak the settings, download patches and upgrades, etc.

If you bought a PC that was specifically made for gaming, you shouldn' t need to upgrade it for at least 2-3 years. My PC is heading into its 3rd year and I' m running pretty much all games on high detail (6800GT, Athlon 64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM). Haven' t needed to upgrade anything except for a new HDD because I was running out of room (Damn you Lost series).

Software maintenance is no longer as complicated as it used to be. Most of the time you don' t " have" to update to the latest drivers/patches/upgrades. If it' s working fine, leave it alone (unless you want to update it). When you are experiencing problems, a visit to the manufacturer website can have the whole thing resolved in minutes.

I think many people still have a stigma when it comes to PC' s. They think it' s still like the bad old days of Windows 98. XP is pretty solid and no doubt Vista will make significant improvements to usability and maintenance. It' s not as bad as it once was.

Oh and PC' s have practically no good games compared to consoles [:' (]

You' re obviously not looking.

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 08:10
Your assuming the HDTV is for the sole use of the Console in question, while in fact, Many people already have hdtv' s without a super next gen console. [or current gen, damn terminology]

But i have upgraded my pc, from an mesily fx5200 and 512ram to 6600gt and 1.5gb for under 130euros. This allows me to play most next gen games [unless they are coded arse way up or are ports [eg Graw] I can play oblivion, and like everybody else in the planet I do get slow down, but thats because the game is not optimized, I really wish they would realise a optimization patch.

< Message edited by silentbomber -- 30 Dec 06 0:14:27 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Is Gears of War designed to destroy Xbox360s? - Dec 30, 2006 10:04

if I were to currently Buy a PS3 + decent HDTV, it' d cost the same as me buying a whole new high end PC system.

-60 gig PS3
-" Real" 1080p HDTV
-1080p tested HDMI

$1300-$1900

Or, on the opposite price end of the spectrum:

-Premium 360
-21inch UXGA (1600x1200) CRT
-360 VGA Cable

$525

Did I mention that the 21inch UXGA tube monitor has a marginally higher resolution than the best HDTV on the market???

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 43

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message