Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Installing Ubuntu on the PS3
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Installing Ubuntu on the PS3 - Jan 27, 2008 22:01
I' ve been pretty busy these days, getting Ubuntu installed into my PS3. Its a neat little feature, though there is still a lot of work to be done on the behalf of the Ubuntu community and on behalf of Sony who has made some really screwy decisions.

First up you have to format the harddrive (im utilizing a 250gp Hitachi Travelmaster, if you want to change it make sure its not a 7200rpm as they grow alot hotter than the 5400rpms) Sony only gives you the option of giving 10gb to either linux or the PS3, and the rest goes towards the other option, you cant go 50/50 or utilize it anyway you want.

Installing Ubuntu, once you locate the right image is pretty straight up, installing different packages is pretty neat and easy as well. I even found ScummVM for those old adventure games, it works perfectly, Beneath a Steel Sky, is even located in it for free!

I installed VLC for video playback, but currently the DivX movies look horrible pixelated, so im working to fix that problem at the moment.

Im a linux noob so its trial and error for me.

If anyone is intretested, ill upload the ISO image i used, i write down a quick installation guide.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll