Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious}
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 03:24
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 04:03
Yep, it' s complete rubbish..
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 04:37
Great find lotusson.lol

That really made my day. I think with the Heavenly Sword demo, they turned
more people off it, then to demonstrate how they were breaking movie/game
barriers.... Which they weren' t. It is just a poor mans God of War (if that makes
sense).
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 05:35
I' ve not watched the video so im not sure if its a joke, but people put off the demo are people who either don' t like the genre, or are too retarted to figure out why it doesn' t play the same as GoW or NG.... Those people don' t deserve a good game

Anyone who has taken the time with the demo will love it with a passion.
Tiz

RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 06:22
I' ve taken the time with the demo, played through it about 5 times now.

I like the genre and stuff, but in truth I would have openly gone out and bought the
game had I not played the demo first, but now I am glad I did.

Uumai, it wouldn' t be compared to God of War if it didn' t carry 75% of the games
traits, but because it does, that is what is spurring the comparison.

At times the game does feel too button-mashy even after going through the
command list, the AI isn' t intelligent, it' s just sporadic. The one thing it has going
for it however is its high production values the art direction is amazing as is the
voice acting, character detail, motion capture, animation etc.

The fact that there isn' t a jump button makes the game feel very grounded which
you' re wondering about half the time why they left it out, fair enough you can jump
up to do amazing air combo' s, but I don' t always want to have to get in the middle
of a combo to instigate some airborne action. The background interaction feels
lazy, and I am mostly p!ssed at the fact that she flirts with the idea of being an
acrobatic warrior in the button pressing sequences and then when it returns to the
core combat system she looks and feels stiff, even with the faster " chain weapons"
(another area where it will be compared to God of War).

The demo is wonderously short. It makes me think why they bothered with the
demo in the first place. It' s like they' re so far up their own a$$es that they
believe the 3-minute sneak-peek is more than enough to make people want more.
Well in my opinion, it left a distinct distaste in my mouth and I pray that the rest
of the game doesn' t play out like the demo, but, I am beginning to get the feeling
that it already will.... Ah well, here' s hoping.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 06:50
God of War is an obvious and fair comparison, and there' s ZERO possibility that Heavenly Sword will match or even get close to the fucking awesomeness of God of War 2.

The combat feels weak even compared to the God of War games and yes, the lack of a jump button was a mistake, but with practice the combat system as it is opens out enough to be considered above average.

Now the real reason to play this game is the cinematic experience it provides. There' s enough variation in the mechanics, a decent enough combat system, 2 playable caracters, what appears to be a relatively robust and beautifully delivered story, fantastic art directon and environments etc...

No, it' s not of the same caliber as God of War, but the only thing on 360 even remotely similar is N3, and that' s absolute trash.

Didn' t you buy N3 Tiz???
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 06:51
Its a loss for you then Tiz is all I can say.. I think to compare it (or any other game in the same genre) to GoW is only natural. When one game does something right other games naturally go on from it... But it' s hardly copying because she has chains, and omg can change weapons too.

The lack of a jump button isn' t a big minus, it' s bothersome at first until you ' get' the game.

The combat is fine and you needed button mash AT ALL. Combo are all very nicely laid out so you can do what you want when you want to, or just counter you way through the entire thing.

As for AI this is like the first bit after the tutorial, and not even on a difficult mode, give it a break would you GoW was piss easy yet still critically acclaimed.

You have played the demo 5 times, i have played more than 20 times, and keep going back to it... As i am right now..

I guess it' s a waste of time to try to convice you either way, maybe give the retail a rent and see what you think... Either way I can' t wait...
Tiz

RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 07:31

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Didn' t you buy N3 Tiz???

I have N3, however the reason I have it is because the demo gave me more
power than the average man should have and it felt gooooood. I also liked it
a lot better than Dynasty Warriors, because the characters at least felt like
there was some effort put into them. It' s also a genre I don' t expect much from,
I have different expectations for each genre, so I needed some form of fantasy
fix.

Heavenly Sword falls into the action/adventure genre (or hack n' slash, not sure), I will still get it for the high production values (or at least borrow it) because I am swayed by the behind-the-scenes documentaries I' ve been watching, and the zany cutscenes coupled with the creative script writing.

As for AI this is like the first bit after the tutorial, and not even on a difficult mode, give it a break would you GoW was piss easy yet still critically acclaimed.

However, God of War was enjoyable to say the least, the developers seemed to
have made the mistake on drawing inspiration from tons of action flicks and not
enough from games that do it right. You can still draw inspiration from a game
and deliver amazing results, case in point: Ninja Gaiden. I played NG before I
played DMC, then I played DMC and realised how many things NG had taken from
it, but executed very well, and to this day, that very game released in 2004 is still
standing the test of time 3 years on, I dare you to find a website or magazine that
has rated it below a 9.

I' m not saying that Heavenly Sword is a bad game (i' ve only played the demo)
but it seems to try to distance itself from other games of it' s kind but in the wrong
areas. It' s all good having Andy Serkis as the creative animation director (or
whatever he is), they still need to remember that it' s a game they' re making and
not a film.

You have played the demo 5 times, i have played more than 20 times, and keep going back to it... As i am right now..

Suppose you could label that as a matter of opinion, for me, the demo is way too
short, I would have at least have liked to have tried running around with Kai and
finding out whatever the f@ck ting-twang is. Also maybe have seen a bit more non
linear fighting, oh well.

The game could be worth a further look into, as long as there' s nothing on NG2 during TGS (which there probably won' t) and DMC4 doesn' t get released this year.

I do need a fantasy action fix.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Heavenly Sword demo review {hilarious} - Aug 17, 2007 13:58

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages