Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 First 21:9 TV hitting this spring
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 19, 2009 00:21
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18597/SixteenbyNine-HD-Televisions-Are-So-2008/

Nice. Tho  i wonder how games are gonna be made to fill the screen without distorting the image...I also wonder how much a 56" hdtv with a ratio of 21:9 will cost...poor thing is gonna get smited by the recession. 
<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Jan 19, 2009 01:40>
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 19, 2009 01:31
21:9?  I prefer calling it 2.39:1 myself, since that is an actual cinema aspect ratio.  Don't look for this TV to get much support, and don't look for the aspect ratio to overtake 16:9, either.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 19, 2009 02:25
yeah who cares
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 19, 2009 03:57
I'd like one. No fucking clue what I'd use it for, but if I had the right source material, it'd be worth having.

But then, I'm a sucker for panoramic cinema.

Using highly advanced formatting technology, regular 16:9 content from sources such as TV broadcasts and games consoles is also adapted to fill the 21:9 screen.

Buzzword bullshit bingo for scaling.
Joe Redifer

Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 19, 2009 06:44
Not scaling, but stretching/distorting.  That's even worse!  I fucking hate it when people stretch 4:3 images to fit their 16:9 screens.  I even hate it when they use the half-assed stretching where it kind of zooms in a tad and only stretches the sides.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 20, 2009 07:57
They should've made HD TVs in that aspect ratio from the beginning.  16:9 was just a compromise between cinema and standard TV, anyway, because they didn't want people to get all panicked, or some such BS.

Projectors can be set up to do 2.39:1.  They even sell screens in that aspect ratio.  I thought about doing myself, ever so briefly, but decided that the money that I already invested in my current screen was well worth it.  I mean, it has the front speaker built in, which I like, and it has served the purpose well.  They do make acoustically transparent screens in 2.39:1, but I think that's a step backward from what I have.
Joe Redifer

Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 20, 2009 17:51
They didn't make screens that wide to begin with because the 16:9 ratio was designed around then-current CRT technology which simply could not go any wider with any degree of stability. 

Acoustically transparent screens are the way to go (I recommend Harkness microperf screens).  Yes, they have tiny holes in them, but the sound is much more localized, especially in movies with panned dialog (which is just about anything from Pixar).  As far as common height 2.39 screens with movable side masking, that is great in the cinema but in the home you are taking a lower resolution and blowing it up to a bigger size compared to 1.85 movies or the such.  If only Blu-ray had anamorphic 2.39 images...
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 22, 2009 07:14
My screen has the front speaker built in to the frame.  I was kinda leary when I first purchased it, because I was afraid they'd be weak, but was assured on a couple of forums that the sound was top notch.  They were right.  They put some high quality speakers in there.

If I were to switch to the micro-perf I'd have to change my setup.  I'd have to move the screen away from the wall, which wouldn't be good because I got the MAXIMUM screen size I could get for my seating distance!

Not only that, but the money's already spent, and I'm happy with what I have.  If I had to start all over again, I'd probably to with the curved 2.35 CineWeave screen from SMX!  Badass!

SMX curved Cineweave screen!
Joe Redifer

Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 22, 2009 19:19
I do not recommend curved screens.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 22, 2009 21:24
Joe Redifer

I do not recommend curved screens.

Ive never personally used one, but it seems like it would suck for gaming and particularly multiple people using it.
Joe Redifer

Re:First 21:9 TV hitting this spring - Jan 22, 2009 22:46
There really isn't any need for a curved screen.  They put them in real movie theaters back in the D-150 and Cinerama days, etc.  They kind of just hung around because theater owners thought that they gave the audience an impression of wideness and vastness.  Flat screens have much better image quality and far fewer issues in the cinema.  I would assume the same would apply for the home theater as well.  A curved screen on a 10 foot wide wall would look laughable.  But a flat screen would look quite nice.  Let's not forget the cropping issues that come with a curved screen.  You will crop out the top and bottom middle portions of the image with a curved screen.  That's just how projection works.  I doubt many, if any video projectors can compensate for this.

You are right about multiple people and curved screens.  Brightness isn't distributed evenly with them so there are 'sweet spots" to viewing them.
<message edited by Joe Redifer on Jan 22, 2009 22:48>

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message