Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 04:27
Apparently HL2:Ep2 along with Portal and TF2 are being delayed until a ' target' of Summer ' 07 now.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148950?cid=otc-rss&attr=cvg-general-rss&skip=yes

I was kinda looking forward to this being released first at the end of this year and then after the new year.

Some people are criticising Valve for promising regular episodic content, and then leaving us out to dry. But I guess HL2 took like 3 years, so 1.5 years for an episode is still acceptable imo, heh.

I think Valve have done a great job of optimising their engine using the data they get about end-users' systems over steam. So i just hope they can implement all that multi-threading stuff they were banging on about last week, to make good use of people' s dual/quad core chips. http://forums.kikizo.com/tm.asp?m=80847&p=2&tmode=1&smode=1

I' m guessing they wont go dx10 until Source 2.0 however.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 04:35

Some people are criticising Valve for promising regular episodic content, and then leaving us out to dry. But I guess HL2 took like 3 years, so 1.5 years for an episode is still acceptable imo, heh.
No it' s not, but whatever. That' s seriously disappointing. I was looking forward to team fortress.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 04:36
Half Life is over rated junk, it can get canned for all I care.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 05:11
Its a good shooter with great gameplay!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 05:20

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

While it' s not junk, I agree with it being severely overrated. I' ve been trying to see what' s so great about it - I' ve played every HL2 game out! For some reason it never grabbed me as anything great.
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 05:56
Wait, this is crazy! VAlve would never delay a gam...... oh, never mind.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 06:10

A foolish statement. Backed up by little facts :)
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 06:38
Half Life 2 is the only FPS I ever really liked, it puts games like Halo1/2 to shame.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: HL2:Episode Two Delayed...further - Nov 11, 2006 23:44

Wait, this is crazy! VAlve would never delay a gam...... oh, never mind.

Heh, yea its not like Valve to ever be ashamed of delaying a game! " Yea yea september 30th 2002, you can count on it!"

I don' t think HL2 is the greatest FPS, but I do like their style very much. They do this interactive cutscene thing pretty well, with really nicely designed environments. The only thing I would change about the HL games would be to make those cutscenes more story driven than action oriented.

It' s all well and good having the player motivated to get to the citadel and defeat the totalitarian alien menace (and then get to the citadel again after having just escaped in Episode 1!), but they could reveal a lot more about who, where and what the feck is going on, in each part.

Who is the g-man, who are the aliens, what are the aliens plans apart from controlling earth, why was Breen the only one picked to be the bad guy etc etc. The game pretends to have a backstory, but never actually reveals it to us. HL2 could be a lot more than just a shooter/platformer if it did.

Now the best example of storytelling in a game would be FF7, but thats just my opinion. Combine that with what Valve do and you' re on to a winner.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll