Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Windows Vista... Shoot Me
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 17, 2007 01:02
So my grandma buys a brand new $900 computer, 2 gigs of RAM, a blazing-fast processor, and windows Vista.

One of these things is different. One of these things doesn' t belong.

The PC has been set up for weeks now, but hasn' t had internet. The guy from Wide-Open West comes over today to set them up with a cable connection. He leaves, I boot up the computer, and to my dismay I see that they have IE7. Let me first start by saying that it' s the most dysfunctional web browser I' ve ever seen. It confuses me at times, and I' m incredibly technology savvy compared to my grandmother. Lord only knows how she' d take it.

So I figure hey, she has IE6 at the elementary-school where she works (and checks her email) I' ll just install that! So I head to the Microsoft update page, download IE6, and try to install it. Stupid me soon realizes that it won' t let me install because it has the newer " better" version already installed.

I go to delete IE7 directly from program files, only to be informed that deleting this may cause undesired operations to perform. I click ok 3 times, (yes, it asks me 3 times) and then it tells me that I can' t delete IE7 because I don' t have the permission.

I' m wondering how an administrator account doesn' t have permission to delete whatever the hell it wants, and I' m wondering who Windows Vista thinks it is to tell me that I' m not allowed to do something.

Vista blows. Any ideas? I' m posting this in Firefox, but my grandma barely understands how to get to Hotmail, no less use tabs.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 17, 2007 01:41
The basic stuff isn' t more difficult with IE7 than with IE6, it' s just different and takes time to adjust. The only thing I don' t like about it is that home and stop are on the other side.

My only suggestion is to into Tools->Internet option->General->Settings (tabs) and check where it says " open home page for new tabs instead of blank page" .

I don' t know why that isn' t the default. It' s so annoying when you first click on a tab and it opens blank. WTF are we supposed to do with that!?

In the same spot you can also change to open new pages in a new window instead of a new tab.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Jul 07 17:43:05 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 17, 2007 08:25
just download her opera

I don' t even think IE5 will even work with Vista, IE5 has tons of security holes in it anyways. So really you should just download her Opera or Firefox or she' ll just have to get used to IE7.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 17, 2007 22:25
What' s so confusing about IE7?
All they did is clean up the look and ad tabs as far as basic web browsing goes. You' re underestimating your grandmother, I think.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 18, 2007 03:53
I use Firefox, but have never found the tabs to be useful. The only thing I can think of is if you were looking a ton of pages while at work and needed to close them all instantly because the boss is approaching.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 18, 2007 04:25
Actually, I think the tabs are useful for kikizo because you can open all the threads on one page instead of going back and forth
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 18, 2007 06:33
I prefer using the tabs on IE7 than a new window.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 18, 2007 22:40
same here. I only open multiple windows now if I actually need to see two pages at the same time.

The only thing I wish MS had done this time is include a good download accelerator/manager. That old ass download pop-up window pisses me off. Can' t pause it, it takes up space on my taskbar. It' s just annoyingly archaic.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 19, 2007 08:39
That is why I like opera' s download. Tabs are kind of annoying in Firefox.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 20, 2007 03:48
I dunno aboUt you guys but The downloader in firefox is very basic, that Resume/ Pause button is a tease, it never had worked. EVAR!
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 19 Jul 07 19:49:49 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Windows Vista... Shoot Me - Jul 20, 2007 10:58
I like them (tabs), but I' m setting up a PC for a woman who can barely get into her email account... so convenience has to be sacrificed for simplicity wherever it can.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 20 Jul 07 2:58:48 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message