Gears of War movie confirmed

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 04:54
" New Line has won feature rights to Microsoft' s hugely popular vidgame " Gears of War" with Stuart Beattie writing and Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey producing via their Temple Hill banner.
CAA conducted the auction, which featured a 21 page treatment by Beattie, who wrote " Collateral" and " Derailed."

" Gears" has sold over three million units and is hugely popular on Microsoft' s Xbox Live service, which allows players to compete against each other online. Though it was released in November and is available only for the Xbox 360 console, it quickly became the fourth best selling game of 2006 in the U.S.

Story, which is only modestly developed in the game, is about a world reeling from an invasion by aliens known as the Locust. A small group of elite soldiers, including the main character Marcus Fennix, who is rescued from prison at the beginning of the game, fight to retake the planet Sera for its surviving humans.

" Gears" is Microsoft' s most succesful game since " Halo," which had an ill-fated attempt at movie development. After developing a script itself, Microsoft sold the project to Universal and Fox in 2005. Peter Jackson signed on to executive produce and Neill Blomkamp to direct, but the pic fell apart this past fall after the studios balked at the final budget."

Who do you want to play Marcus? How about the others?

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 05:02
Marcus...

< Message edited by NITRO -- 20 Mar 07 21:10:53 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 05:08
Clive Owen, its like the artist borrowed his face for Marcus!

Nitro your picture isnt working!

Nitro
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 05:17
I dunno dude...

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 06:22
Why oh why do they always pick the worst games to make into films. This is doom all over again.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 06:59
Yeah. This is pretty much like making a film based on a car, or a beverage. Except cars and beverages tend to have more nuanced and nostalgic associations in peoples' minds. The " character" of Marcus might as well have a bicep in place of his face.

Nitro
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 07:08
I' m guessing David Fincher (Alien 3, Se7en, Fight Club AND the ' Mad World' Gears of War commercial) will direct.

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 07:09
pffffft... hahahahahaha

M B
  • Total Posts : 202
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 09:27
Doom the movie wasn' t too bad. But it was only loosely based on the game.

They are going to need some HUUUUGE dudes to play this movie.

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 11:45
You know, the Doom movie wouldn' t have been so bad if it didn' t only resembled Doom towards the last 15 minutes!

The FPS view should have been used for most of the movie. It' s cheesy and nauseating but it' s DOOM.

And the Rock should' ve been the lead guy (although being the bad guy wasn' t so bad).

HUUUUGE dudes to play this movie.

Great, we count out any professional actors...

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 12:53
Please guys... if anyone fits the role it' s Mickey Rourke-

[image]http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/0335-rai/rourkem3.cke[/image]

Played Marv in Sin City. This guy fits perfectly.
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Vx Chemical
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 15:30
Actually Cliffy B said he always thought of Clive Owen for the movie part, let me look for the statement

Vx Chemical
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 15:36

On a separate note, if the game were to become a movie, who would you see playing the characters?

Blezinsky: I think it' s important to be careful with the whole game-to-movie thing because I think a lot of game designers have this Hollywood envy where they don' t believe they' ve made it unless their game has been turned into a movie. I love movies but I believe I' m working in the most exciting sector of the entertainment industry. So if there' s a movie of GoW - cool. I' ll look forward to possibly making more GoW games, and let someone else worry about that. Truth be told, if there were to be somebody for Marcus I think someone like Clive Owen would be cool.

Link

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 21:10
Mickey Rourke still fits better. He' s got the size, the face, the roughness and the voice. Tell me that adding the little soul patch and a bandana to that pic wouldn' t look exactly like Marcus...
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 21:56
Try looking at WWE wrestler Batista, he has the look, the body and the voice, and being in the WWE he can act a bit too.

Mickey Rourke is too old now.

< Message edited by alijay034 -- 21 Mar 07 13:57:22 >

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 21, 2007 22:57
Oh god..........[:' (]

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 22, 2007 04:29
I bet a Gears movie could be better than the actually game, and even longer

Agent Ghost
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 22, 2007 15:18
I agree with Rampage, Mickey Rourke is the guy for the job.

ryoga
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 22, 2007 19:42
They could just go CGI for Gears Of War.

xleague.tv
xleague.tv

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 00:26
...interesting.. ....how deep and meaningful do you think the story will be?
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 00:33
A long string of boss fights, with some filler. Each squadmate, starting/ending with the most ' innocent' member, would start to die off one by one.

Get some meaningful moments at the ruins of someone' s kindergarten, blast lots of things (not just Locusts) etc.

It' ll end with Marcus being the only one left, horribly wounded, surrounded by Locusts, and then we bring in the Hammer of Dawn.

Big flash, and then fade to black, roll credits.

*cough*

PS: Note, I haven' t actually played GoW, I' m basically thinking up the most basic generic plot for an action movie in general with whatever GoW aspects I know.

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 07:11
I heard rumor of this, already a movie confirmed....so the trend now is for any well selling game for some movie distributor to make big $$$ by making a movie based on a game or something related to real life scenarios...
Games into movies shouldn' t happen.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 07:40
I' m going to take my cynical hat off for a moment and pause to think, is it normal for a game to get a movie liscence so early on? Lets just imagine that a truly fantastic feeling epic was put together (im imagining the visuals of 300 or similar) but with a futuristic-renaissance style, imagine what it could do for the rest of the sales of the (trilogy) product...

Actually using cg to bolster the charecters could be better than just finding the largest knuckle heads possible, man, the feeling of gears on the very first play, in a movie - that could be kewl....

All down to the production team they assemble I guess....

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 09:00
Movies based on games are a long way away from having enough of a fanbase to be as profitable as the games they' re based on. We hear all this yammering about how the games industry is making more money than Hollywood, but that' s only because games cost 6 to 7 times as much as a ticket to see a movie in a theater, and 3 to 5 times as much as a DVD.

Plus, the most popular games tend to have the most simple-minded storylines... even the ones stretched thin into " epic" trilogies. What' s Marcus' s big, life-changing revelation and character development going to be? That he' s tired of fighting? Bitch, please.

The stories in games are weak because the developers are primarily young men in a state of arrested development that stopped at adolescent power fantasies. Fun for games, weak for cinema.

Agent Ghost
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 09:19

Movies based on games are a long way away from having enough of a fanbase to be as profitable as the games they' re based on. We hear all this yammering about how the games industry is making more money than Hollywood, but that' s only because games cost 6 to 7 times as much as a ticket to see a movie in a theater, and 3 to 5 times as much as a DVD.

Plus, the most popular games tend to have the most simple-minded storylines... even the ones stretched thin into " epic" trilogies. What' s Marcus' s big, life-changing revelation and character development going to be? That he' s tired of fighting? Bitch, please.

The stories in games are weak because the developers are primarily young men in a state of arrested development that stopped at adolescent power fantasies. Fun for games, weak for cinema.

Obviously movies based on games need larger more comples stories. It' s only natural, it' s a movie. Granted, most movies based on videogames suck royally but look at the super Mario movie. A lot of people hated it but I thought it sucked but I loved it. It wasn' t totally faithful to the source material but it had enough depth to be considered a real movie.

mastachefbkw
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 24, 2007 09:44

Movies based on games are a long way away from having enough of a fanbase to be as profitable as the games they' re based on

I think the problem with movies based on games is the fact that the games are like 10 times the length of a movie, so they have to revise most of the crap, but that really shouldnt be too much of a problem with gears since gears is only 5 hours long

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 25, 2007 06:30
I dont know. Im iffy on a game-based movie, but it would be interesting to know EXACTLY what happened with Marcus to land him in the slam.

No Uwe Bowel or Vin Diesel please.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

_Ninja_Protocol_
  • Total Posts : 212
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 25, 2007 15:26
It doesn' t have to be based around Marcus. What about like the story of his father and at the end of the movie Marcus gets locked up.

There is alot of " pre" Gears of War story that they should flesh out... movie could do it since the next Gears definitly won' t.
...Random Madness, Forward...

mastachefbkw
RE: Gears of War movie confirmed - Mar 26, 2007 03:19

There is alot of " pre" Gears of War story that they should flesh out... movie could do it since the next Gears definitly won' t.

Actually i bet in the next gears it will show a flash back or something of it.