First SKATE gamepay footage!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
First SKATE gamepay footage! - Mar 02, 2007 08:23
I returned the 360 version of Project 8 because of it' s pathetic framerate issues. The PS3 version is supposed to be worse. That' s why i' ve been keeping an eye on SKATE. The first gameplay footage can be found HERE and already i' m thinking it' s going to crush the Tony Hawks games.

Dagashi
  • Total Posts : 987
  • Reward points : 0
RE: First SKATE gamepay footage! - Mar 02, 2007 15:48
It looks a lot more true to life than Tony Hawk has ever been, which seems to me like the only direction to go in if you are trying to compete with a game already dominating one aspect of skate games. That said, simulation and true to life aspects work well for snowboading as it can look amazing, and has the sensation of speed and airtime. But I wonder how they can manage the same for skateboarding. After all, skate locations aren' t generally exotic, and don' t offer the thrilling speed and wipeouts involved with many other extreme sports.

I would hope they are going with a technical and difficult approach to the game that includes fast reaction times and a good idea of suitable tricks for the situation. Otherwise, I can' t see how they will make pulling of tricks that are much more sane, and realistic, without it being extremely boring. Imagine Tony Hawk without the ridiculous combos and moves. I know I wouldn' t play it, by the shear fact of how easy and monotonous it would be.

I' m glad to see a new skate game with some initial promise coming into a stale game scene that has been thoroughly dominated for a very long time. If nothing else, the game might give Neversoft designers some good idea' s, or get them to change or improve the formula they have been using for so long.

Dagashi
  • Total Posts : 987
  • Reward points : 0
RE: First SKATE gamepay footage! - Mar 02, 2007 15:54
I just realised I never mentioned that I look forward to seeing more of this game, and that I support such a project. My initial post made it sort of look like I didn' t think it showed promise.

Also, I would love to see them utilize a strong physics engine with properly developed skeletal architecture and limb resistance. Combine that with good motion capture and they could have a wonderfully cinematic experience, that would go great lengths to enhancing many tricks appeal. Ones that could otherwise seem tame in comparison to Tony Hawks outlandish moves.