Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New PC! Any recommended programs or games?
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 91
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 28, 2006 08:35
I have FEAR, and while it isnt the best game in the world, it is a mindless shooter.

Good game to waste time on.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 28, 2006 09:33

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

LMAO.

I stopped reading there. The lowest end Core Duo is better than that shit and is like $120 cheaper.

The Intel Core2Duo E6300

Yes it is, learn to overclock. A 5200+ wont overclock for shit. You might as well buy an 3800+ and OC that to atleast 4800 speeds, which isn' t hard to do.

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

Evil Man that is really funny coming from someone who bought a Pentium D.

Wrong.

First, I get any intel CPU for free before they' re even out to retailers. And I have a Core 2 Duo.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 28 Oct 06 1:37:44 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 28, 2006 18:39
Overclocking sounds scary so I would never do that anyway.
Besides, I barely play PC games anyway since there are so few games I like so I' ll mostly use this PC to chat, work and browse the Internet. You don' t need an overclocked processor to do that, eh?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 28 Oct 06 10:40:33 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 02:51
Heh, I don' t think you' ll need to OC that system.

I' m getting Splinter Cell:DA for PC. It' s cheaper, but they always delay the PC version for some reason. Comes out next week. I' m not so interested in the multiplayer so I don' t mind not being able to play on XBLive.

FEAR and Prey I would recommend. Don' t go by the demos tho, cos they sucked in comparison. And Quake 4 is the best sounding game I' ve played on PC so far, and will really make good use of your X-Fi Fatality. D' yu have any good speakers?

The latest drivers are essential however.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 28 Oct 06 18:52:18 >
Silentbomber

RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 02:59
TOTAL WAR!!!!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 03:53
As ginjirou pointed our Evil not everyone wants to overclock their bran new computer. I did because I took the time to learn how and saved a few hundred but if you don' t know how easy it is when you buy the cpu its easy to get a high end proc.

Ginjirou overclocking isn' t about making this uber powerful cpu, because high end cpus (especially with AMD) do not overclock to speeds that much higher then the low end. The idea is that you can spend 200-300 dollars on a low end cpu and easilly push it to speeds of the 500-600 dollar cpu. The only real downside is that your cpu is hotter when overclocking and thus your cpu fan makes more noise. However this is easilly remedied and even greatly improved upon if you buy an after market cpu cooler.
< Message edited by Agent ghost -- 28 Oct 06 20:00:57 >
ginjirou

RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 08:52
I see.
But this is not a thread about the specs of my PC or how to enhance them because I don' t know much about specs, simply because I don' t care much.
All I know is that I can now play PC games without trouble so I' d like you to just tell me every single PC game worth buying. Or other software that' s nice to have.
It doesn' t matter if it' s an old game either, just as long as it' s fun. I usually spend more time playing emulators than new games on PC.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 11:24
Well, it' s not graphics intensive, but I spend more time editing Super Mario World levels in Lunar Magic than anything else on my box.
Silentbomber

RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 20:20
... I guess you didnt take my total war comment to heart. I was pointing you in the direction of Rome:Total War and Medievil 2:Total War. Fantastic games.
ginjirou

RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 20:30
I noticed your Total war advice. My post was aimed at the guys talking about specs and stuff.
I' ll probably get the total war games.
I played Shogun Total War when it was released and I loved it so I guess the newer entries in the series should be even better.
Command & Conquer The first Decade, Age Of Empires 3, Rome: Total War and Medievil 2: Total War. Those are great stretegy games I' m planing to buy.
Prey, F.E.A.R., Star Wars Republic Commando and SWAT 4 in the FPS genre.
That' s pretty much every game worth buying for PC that' s been released the past five years...
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 29 Oct 06 12:34:36 >
Silentbomber

RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 21:00
Dont forget the great looking C&C3, and a game i really want to play, grim fandango, if your into point and click adventures, the first two Broken Swords are a must!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Oct 29, 2006 22:20

grim fandango, if your into point and click adventures, the first two Broken Swords are a must!

An A+ to all of the above. Methinks I' m gonna play those again.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 29 Oct 06 14:21:17 >
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Nov 02, 2006 00:40

I guess you didnt take my total war comment to heart. I was pointing you in the direction of Rome:Total War and Medievil 2:Total War. Fantastic games.

Yes Silent is right! You must get these games especially Rome Total War! Rome is a phenomenal game that has to be played. Trust me, you will be addicted to this game, you will not regret getting it!
I also recommend Football Manager 2007, the Football Manager games are so addictive its scary!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Nov 02, 2006 02:41
There is a set that has all the Total War games. I wouldn' t bother though, just wait for Total War II coming out soon. Which is a must buy.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Dec 01, 2006 10:31

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

As ginjirou pointed our Evil not everyone wants to overclock their bran new computer. I did because I took the time to learn how and saved a few hundred but if you don' t know how easy it is when you buy the cpu its easy to get a high end proc.

Ginjirou overclocking isn' t about making this uber powerful cpu, because high end cpus (especially with AMD) do not overclock to speeds that much higher then the low end. The idea is that you can spend 200-300 dollars on a low end cpu and easilly push it to speeds of the 500-600 dollar cpu. The only real downside is that your cpu is hotter when overclocking and thus your cpu fan makes more noise. However this is easilly remedied and even greatly improved upon if you buy an after market cpu cooler.

I helped a friend build a budget system, put in a e6300 in there, runs at stock 1.86ghz, I overclocked that to 3ghz ON AIR, all stock too and didnt even have to increase cpu/ram voltage, and he had some cheap ass Corsair " Value" ram that kept fucking up the overclock when I tried to go over 3ghz, if he had spent $30 or so more on the ram and got something decent I could' ve probably gotten that up to 3.2-3.6ghz, or even more.

There is no risk to doing this you dont even have to play around with voltages, if it doesnt work any decent motherboard will just reset to default settings, core 2 duo is awesome for OCing even for newbies.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 1 Dec 06 5:06:31 >
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Jan 19, 2007 02:29
No one mentioned programs.
Zone alarm
AntiVir
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Jan 19, 2007 03:18
Diskeeper, Opera, Winamp, Gaim

AV and extra firewalls are for nubs
ginjirou

RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Jan 19, 2007 03:27
If I want to mess around with making pictures, flash or 3D stuff, what programs should I get?

< Message edited by ginjirou -- 18 Jan 07 19:27:36 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Jan 19, 2007 04:10
Maya or Lightwave for 3D stuff, whatever that macromedia flash thingy is called for making flash stuff.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: New PC! Any recommended programs or games? - Jan 19, 2007 18:36
Macromedia Flash Professional 8.

For 3D stuff; 3DSMax, LightWave, Maya, Softimage or ZBrush.

Go HERE for a 3D tools comparison chart that should find useful.
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 91

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message