Motionless play with PS3 controller?

Kyo.k
  • Total Posts : 324
  • Reward points : 0
Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 21, 2006 17:30
With so many devs now including support for the PS3 pad' s motion sensing tech for essential functions on their games, will they still include standard controller options for people that don' t want to use them?

Ultimately, I would prefer to use the traditional analogue stick for balance in Tony Hawk or the plain old square button for shooting in say NBA 2K7. That is the reason I would be buying the PS3, to play current style games with better visuals and games which feature innovation through software rather than the hardware. I will have the Wii for the other stuff so I certainly hope they don' t force us to use it.

What to you guys think about this, should devs really ignore traditional ways of playing on PS3 or should the choice for both (even in the same game) be given?

Evil Man
  • Total Posts : 1441
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 21, 2006 17:38
Its a little fucking motion sensing, it' s not gonna kill your fat ass.

And this is why 65% of Americans are obese, complaining about having to shift their hands while they' re sitting on their asses. Oh no, poor fucking you.

< Message edited by Evil Man -- 21 Oct 06 9:47:18 >

OneWingedAngel
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 21, 2006 17:48
Ever heard of anger management?? You really should try it out!
The man stated his opinion you don' t have to go all over him.^^
" One who knows nothing can understand nothing"

Kyo.k
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 21, 2006 18:09

And this is why 65% of Americans are obese, complaining about having to shift their hands while they' re sitting on their asses. Oh no, poor fucking you.

1: I' m not american.
2: At like 9.2 stone I' m not fat either.
3: It' s called choice, some actually like it.
4: If you can' t discuss stuff like an adult, then you shouldn' t be here.

I like the idea behind motion sensing stuff, hence will be buying a Wii. But other than using it in games like WarHawk, I' d like my PS3 traditional style games experience with traditional controls.

You know there are ways of innovation using game design and not just fancy new hardware. This is what I wanted to discuss, the future of standard controls in new games on PS3. And the option to have them.

If you want to flame, throw yourself into a fire, that should do it.

Thank you.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 21 Oct 06 10:10:58 >

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 21, 2006 21:28
I would expect there to be various choices in the options menu of any given PS3 game, which lets gamers toggle SIXAXIS on or off.. ....kinda like how we can currently chose to play games without rumble if we so desire...

....i hope that will be the way of it, because i too generally don' t really see a genuine use for motion sensing controls on the majority of games (wii & PS3) that have featured it, so far....

....but i' m also sure that there will be some well designed titles which use motion sensing intelligently... ...where the game has systematically been built from scratch around some actually useful aspect of motion sensing, which would result in most non easily-amused gamers preferring the gameplay twists which such a feature could bring...

....for example, did you see how SIXAXIS is being used in Monster Hunter?... ....it' s not necessarily genre defining, but it' s probably the best use of SIXAXIS so far that i have seen... ...i think this particular use of it will feel like a natural part of the normal gaming experience...

....as opposed to the tacky gimmickry that the majority of recent motion sensing titles seem to pander to......
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 02:31
I am sure there is a feature, just like rumble and i bet you can turn the motion off.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 02:46

its actually 80%, but any way, why are you defending sony when somone says this but when they say the same thing about nintendo, you agree? Besides who the hell wants to play a basket ball game with motion sensors?

f3hunter
  • Total Posts : 821
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 02:57

RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? (in reply to Kyo.k)

quote:

1: I' m not american.
2: At like 9.2 stone I' m not fat either.
3: It' s called choice, some actually like it.
4: If you can' t discuss stuff like an adult, then you shouldn' t be here.

I like the idea behind motion sensing stuff, hence will be buying a Wii. But other than using it in games like WarHawk, I' d like my PS3 traditional style games experience with traditional controls.

You know there are ways of innovation using game design and not just fancy new hardware. This is what I wanted to discuss, the future of standard controls in new games on PS3. And the option to have them.

If you want to flame, throw yourself into a fire, that should do it.

Thank you.

Haha, someone got told

Evil Man
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:05

ORIGINAL: Kyo.k
You know there are ways of innovation using game design and not just fancy new hardware. This is what I wanted to discuss

Fancy new hardware? A little fucking motion sensing is fancy new hardware? LMAO.

You must be what, 50, 55 years old?

Gotta love morbidly obese Americans in their 50' s.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:13
well, I was planning on posting about motion sensing, but I can see how Kikizo is " in one of those moods" again.

Evil Man
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:27
There' s nothing to discuss here, we have some fat guy that doesnt want to slide his hands over a few centimeters, or maybe he physically isn' t able to, I don' t know and frankly I don' t care. If I wanted to read about fat fuck drama I' d go to a weightloss forum.

We need mods here to lock stupid threads like these.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:38
Only an idiot would think that developers would force tilt contol. It' ll be an option in the games that use it.

Kyo.k
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:44
Then I might just be one.

As long as it really enhances the game in a way the regular controls couldn' t then I' m okay with it. But I do think that there will be some usual games which use the tilt in a basic way without an option to turn it off.

Sony are after all looking for an excuse to dissmiss the Wii' s most essential aspect.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 21 Oct 06 23:45:11 >

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:52

ORIGINAL: Kyo.k

Then I might just be one.

Damn, i should have read the entire thread

Kyo.k
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 07:58
LOL!

Where' s that wavey finger smiley when you need it.

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 20:40
I don' t see how tilting my controller backwards and forwards to dodge in Genji is going to make me lose weight =/

Don' t be an idiot, Little Man (obviously not referring to Kyo.k ^^).

Definitely should be a choice. I' d hate to see a game destroyed by bad control issues (given if any) due to motion sensing. A game should be built around the control, not just tacked on with it.

Evil Man
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 22, 2006 22:15
I thought I was on your ignore list?

LOL.

And you just proved my point, shifting your hands a few centimeters every now and then is not a particularly tasking physical activity, for normal people. Trust me, I live in the US, and I' m around alot of fat fucks, I know the type - lazy fucking slobs that complain about anything that involves even the slightest physical activity.

I guarantee you this Kyo guy is already bitching about having to move his thumbs in games, but he can tolerate that. Now having to move the controll around, that' s just pushing it. He won' t stand for that.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 22 Oct 06 14:20:34 >

Kyo.k
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 23, 2006 00:32

I guarantee you this Kyo guy is already bitching about having to move his thumbs in games, but he can tolerate that. Now having to move the controll around, that' s just pushing it. He won' t stand for that.

Really... So that' s why I' m buying a Wii at launch then, and why some of my favorite games are lightgun titles where you actually have to hold the gun up pointing and shooting. Or in HOTD4' s case wiggle the thing to reload. Oh heaven forbid, I just can' t lift it anymore, noooooooo, losing feeling in arms.....

What...ever.

< Message edited by kyo.k -- 22 Oct 06 16:32:54 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 23, 2006 02:27
The SIXAXIS, has stupid outdated tilt features that are going to prove more annoying then fun. It is a stupid idea and it has a stupid name, end of story.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 23, 2006 05:55

The SIXAXIS, has stupid outdated tilt features that are going to prove more annoying then fun. It is a stupid idea and it has a stupid name, end of story.

Hey, it' s a pretty cool palindrome.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Motionless play with PS3 controller? - Oct 23, 2006 08:01
Your supposed to be able to tilt the controller in fighting games a certain direction and it does an attack, so what happens if i want to move back in my chair and it does an attack i dont want to do, sounds pretty gay