Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda

Jason Zeidan
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points : 0
Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 11:40
Square' s Final Fantasy takes on Nintendo' s Legend of Zelda!!!

Two of the biggest franchises of all time have both been well- recieved series, so it was just a matter of time before we pit them against each other!! Plus, two new games based on these series are coming out this year, Final Fantasy XII and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, so that gives me an even greater excuse to make this thread. So....

Which is your favorite series? Explain your pick and say why you didn' t choose the contrary. My favorite series is..... um..... I guess the Legend of Zelda, because it' s the type of game that anybody can appreciate, because it' s very much like a fairy tale, while games like Final Fantasy X tend to confuse me....

What are your thought??

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 11:47
You are wrong Jason!

Ys series > EVERY other RPG game in existence

The wondrous fantasy world, the gorgeous fantasy music, the fantasy creatures!! The wonderful world of Ys shall live on forever!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 18 Jul 05 19:49:15 >
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

Owain
  • Total Posts : 91
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 11:50
nah you can compare Zelda and FF they' re too different.
...and for the record Zelda > FF

Jason Zeidan
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 11:55
They' re not too different to compare..

After all they are both RPGs (Zelda' s also kind of an adventure, but has RPG elements as well), and they both are about the protagonist saving the world of turmoil, so that' s comparitive enough..

They also have different kinds of creatures to compare, and different towns and cities.. So yeah, they are definately comparable.

And Ys is very nice, but it' s not nearly as popular as FF and LOZ.

Rikka
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 11:57
What the heck?!?!?! Is this the new trend now? How can you keep trying to compare to unlike things?

What' s better? Oranges or milk? Lettuce or running shoes? Cattepillars or elephants? Root beer takes on laptop computers, it is a fight to the finish!

ROAR! I mean seriously, can we get some real threads going?

ok, rant is over.... at least for now.

Terry Bogard
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 11:58

And Ys is very nice, but it' s not nearly as popular as FF and LOZ.

Popularity doesn' t make a game better than another least popular title

Jason Zeidan
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 12:12
Rant number 2 coming in 5..4..3..2..1..

I' m not trying to compare two very similar things guys! I' m putting the two MOST POPULAR game series against each other because it' s awesome. They are both the most popular game series of all time! And I' m asking which game do you like MORE!! Which game do you get more enjoyment from! I' m not comparing oranges and milk, because they are both video game adventures. Can we just vote??

And yes, Ys is very good, but I' m comparing the most popular, highest-grossing games of all time, most hardcore, most well-recieved, most talked about, and most anticipated. Ys is a great title, but it' s not as POPULAR as LOZ and FF. It could be just as good, even better in some cases, but Ys isn' t a nominee in this thread.

Rant over. Sorry about that, I just want to make cool threads and hear people' s opinions. FF and LOZ are titans in my head, so I want to see which does the public prefer. And so are Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, which is why I created that thread in the other section. So Terry and Rikka, I know these games are kind of differerent, but which from these TWO games do you like more??

Wooh....

Terry Bogard
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 12:15
Well since you put it THAT way I' ll go with Zelda, for the simple fact that the battles take place in real-time.... Me and turn-based battle systems just do not get along well. Never have really but I feel that it MIGHT be changing since I dig Metal Gear Ac!d so much and the entire friggin game is turn-based.

Jason Zeidan
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 12:27
I agree with you Terry, I don' t like turn-based combat. I just want to fight my enemy with freedom of doing what I want in a battle. I don' t like the whole ' wait your turn' , ' you lost 20 Hp' type of fighting, because in real life, there' s no such thing.

At least I think there' s no such thing.

Terry Bogard
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 12:34

I don' t like the whole ' wait your turn' , ' you lost 20 Hp' type of fighting, because in real life, there' s no such thing.

At least I think there' s no such thing.

You are wrong Jason!

Ever seen those real life fights or movie fight scenes where one guy tells another to take his best shot, and after the guy takes his best shot then the other guy returns fire with a punch of his own? That' s turn-based

Jason Zeidan
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 13:59
I said I don' t think there' s such a thing

Too many people said ' you' re wrong' to me in my life, so please don' t add to the trend...

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 14:28

Too many people said ' you' re wrong'

YOUR WRONG! Theres never too many ppl to say that, how else are you gonna learn?

residentevil327
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 17:49
i like the final fantasy series more.my favorite one is 10

Sal
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 18, 2005 20:11
Well, I have loved both games since I was but a wee lad. And I can understand what Jason may really be getting at with his question. I think he might be asking wether you enjoy something lighthearted and exciting to play in your free time. Or do you demand something that is more dramatic....driven....you know...in the way all of square' s games. Even crystal chronicles didn' t touch Zelda' s cute factor.

Well, I for one prefer a game that makes me happy just to look at so I am gonna have to go with Zelda.

Gossi_the_dog
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 19, 2005 15:07
If your going to compare anything with Final Fantasy surely it' d be Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest by the way is far superior.

Anyhow I don' t particuarly like either Zelda or Final Fantasy. I' d probably go with FF though simply for FFIX which was excellent.

Auron
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 20, 2005 04:19
I think both of them are wonderful games, but like them for very different reasons.

Final Fantasy wins Zelda hands down with its exceptional storylines and usually offers far more innovation if you' re looking for something a bit different.

Zelda on the other hand is pleasingly accessible, and nice when I don' t feel like playing around with complex mechanics and stats and has some nice puzzles and dungeons.

I love them both, but, being a fan of the more traditional RPG, overall I probably prefer Final Fantasy.

DaRoosh65
  • Total Posts : 1968
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 20, 2005 06:38
I' m not a big fan of either series...but I do like the following:

Final Fantasy:
1) Seems to be more thought out and this shows in the deeper gameplay.
2) Storylines that pull the player ' into' the story.
3) Great cut-scenes.
4) If I remember right, at least one FF game had multiple endings.

Zelda:
1) A light-hearted whimsical delight to play.
2) Many challenges to find items (at least in the original games).

As you can see, I have stated more that I ' like' about FF - thus, FF wins my vote.

If you ask me what RPG series I prefer over these two, I will tell you this...

The Shining Force series.
Videogaming is the contemporary interactive pasttime.

George Foreman
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 20, 2005 13:41
I hate turn-based games so Legend of Zelda wins by defalt.

MikeK
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 20, 2005 16:49
Just my opinion, i like both real time fighting and turn based, but I would have to pick Zelda over Final Fantasy because I like the whole mood of the game, music, graphics, movement, areas and so on. And the only thing that looks good in FF games except FFCC is the cinemas.

Jason Zeidan
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 20, 2005 19:02
They' re both really phenominal.

The best comparison between these two series would be Final Fantasy VII for PS, and Ocarina of Time for N64. Compare those two.

I' ll let you guys do that. I personally liked both equally. But I owned OOT, so...

mxpx182
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 21, 2005 07:45
ok, I' ll cast my vote here, but I don' t know If a can pick a clear winner. It' s all about the memories man. FFII was the first FF game I ever played, and always is the one I remember as my favorite. But then again Legend of Zelda for the SNES also has a special place as one of my favorite games ever. So my vote is FFII and LOZ for SNES = greater than all other FF and LOZ games combined.

Jason Zeidan
RE: Final Fantasy versus Legend of Zelda - Jul 21, 2005 17:11
I think about the protagonist and villain as well...

LOZ has Link, who' s the single coolest game character who ever existed! While FF has like three or four main characters. In my opinion, the best FF protagonist is Cloud, who is really deep in character. As for baddies, theres Ganon in LOZ and Sephiroth in FF. Mmmm..

I like Link alot more than Cloud. I think he' s just a nicer ' person' , while Cloud just has issues. They' re both shrouded in mystery, but you have to like Link more....

As for the villians, I like both Sephiroth and Ganon equally. I still think Sephiroth looks like a chick, and Ganon is just plain menacy. But hey, what the hell..

I like the FF characters, but the LOZ characters are just more likeable, not because they' re more realistic (which they' re not), but because they hold that ' fairy tale' appeal.

Ah what am I talking about... GO LOZ!!