Ninja or Samurai

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 44
bradley harper
  • Total Posts : 172
  • Reward points : 0
Ninja or Samurai - Oct 27, 2004 18:22
wich do you preffer?
Those who never made a mistake, has never tried anything new. live well and love life.

Reznor
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 27, 2004 18:24
Ninja

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 27, 2004 18:26
nice reznor

yoshimitsu15
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 27, 2004 22:31
Samurai...you' ve got to have some honor.
In response to the following complaint I have decided to change my signature:

" by the way, yoshimitsu you might want to click the little checkbox that makes your signature disappear." -Jonah Shoemaker, Residential Dumbass

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 27, 2004 23:46
ninja also have honor in the ninja lineage but always. keep their honor first, and thier heart second. but as the samurai lives by his sword he will die by the sword.

there is a hidden message in the words do you have the honor and skill to find it?
Those who never made a mistake, has never tried anything new. live well and love life.

whatabout_paul
  • Total Posts : 1227
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 28, 2004 00:07
With what I understand from my limited research on feudal Japan, Ninja were ' highly skilled assassins' . But er... they got wiped out en-masse by the Samurai who were like the enforcers paid by the people in charge. War ended however and the Samurai were disbanded as the Ninja' s had been all but wiped out. In fact the ' traditional' Ninja we think of today (Think Ryo Hayabusa) are a thing of legend created over time in their absence. Nobody even knows if they used to wear black... in fact it is believed the Ninja' s dressed as civilians or other outfits to elude Samurai.

Samurai traditionally first used the Katana, the finest looking swords on earth while the Ninja tried to be a jack of all trades turning every weapon they came across into their own.

Personally, I think Samurai rock. I want a katana!

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 28, 2004 00:31
So you think the ninja got wiped out huh. well ill tell you a little secret the ninja still live on to this day. and yet they may not be as active as there ancesters used to be. but the ninja were nothing but tools hired by other samurai. to take out maybe a unit or two before they could go into battle. there was this samurai named Eyaesu Tokugawa that always used the ninja. But the ninja will no longer sufice to the modern world.

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 28, 2004 18:50
I dunno they both have the very high points. I like the warrior of a Samurai whereas i like the stealth of the ninja. Hard choice Ima have to think abotu it for a bit.

yoshimitsu15
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 28, 2004 21:51
Well if you want to see an example in a movie of the fights of Samurai and Ninja, just watch the Last Samurai. I' ll give you a hint though...it didn' t go well for the Ninja, lol.

Having practiced the art of Ninjutsu I think I can safely say there really are no Ninja left. The few that were left after the Samurai wiped them out went to various places and became monks. Rarely did one keep to the same path they had already walked.

" by the way, yoshimitsu you might want to click the little checkbox that makes your signature disappear." -Jonah Shoemaker, Residential Dumbass

whatabout_paul
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 28, 2004 23:56
bradley harper, I said ' all but' wiped out. As far as I know there is a school in Japan run by the ' last true Ninja' thought to be an actual descendent from a Ninja from feudal Japan. His school teaches people the way of the Ninja and how to handle practically any modern day weapon, be it swords, knives or even guns. If the TV show I saw on this was right his methods of disarming guns is taught to the FBI. He' s like 80 now and could still kick anybody' s ass; his daughter also looks pretty handy especially with a Kitana!

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 29, 2004 14:37
Alright,alright. the ninja still exists. thats all i was trying to say. Now go fufill your dream of becoming a Samurai.

P.S you should go buy a kantana.

whatabout_paul
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 30, 2004 20:06
There' s a shop in a market near me which sells all kinds of strange and wonderful swords. There' s an ace black with gold highlights Kitana set on a stand; The Kitana on top, a smaller sword below that and a dagger below that. Mmmmmmm. They' d look great on my wall and for scaring away any burglars. Can you imagine the look on an intruders face as you leap out from the shadows Kitana in hand unsheathed ready to attack?

yoshimitsu15
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Oct 31, 2004 00:06
I have something similar to that, but the bad thing about those are that the blades are dull. Here' s a nice site where you can find authentic katana' s at unaffordable prices, lol.

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/katanaluxe.aspx

That' s not even my personal favorite that the site has to offer. If you are familar with the Wheel of Time series then you might recognize this next sword:

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/ranhermarswo.aspx

I like this website because most of the swords here are actually hand forged. Maybe it' s just me but there is just a difference between a hand forged sword and one made on an assembly line.

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 03, 2004 15:41
Hey wats up i just got back from a trip. i bought a couple of cool sh@#%. so theres a market that sells all kinds of stuff like swords huh well thats cool. how much do the swords cost? and are you gonna buy anyof,em? sorry gotta go.

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 03, 2004 16:02
I like Ninjas cause they' re sleaker and sneakier!

In head to head battle on a wide open area I don' t doubt that a samurai would whip a Ninja' s a$$ but in a more crowded setting I' d give the advantage to a Ninja.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 11/3/2004 4:06:08 PM >

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 04, 2004 17:41
The weekend point the Ninjas have three points and the Samurai also have three points. its a tie folks. who will be wiped out the Ninja or Samurai?

So keep on voteing.

Ill add up the points again next week on friday.
SO VOTE!

Vincent Cook
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 08, 2004 05:32
Hard question. Hmm. Ninja' s look cooler but Samurais are warriors... Well both are as good as each other as i don' t want to take sides.

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 12, 2004 15:17
Pick NINJA NINJA NINJA NNNIIIIJJJJAAAA!

Sharon
  • Total Posts : 960
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 12, 2004 17:46
I would love to be a ninja with all those cool weapons hidden on yourself, sneaking around, no one ever seeing you unless you want them too -- yeah, definitely a ninja!

Alley_Hater
  • Total Posts : 340
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 13, 2004 03:23
I pick Ninja. Ninjas have stealth. Ninjas are sneaky. Ninjas jump high, run fast. Ninjas throw the explosive containers on the ground, smoke rises, clears, and they' re gone. Ninjas throw knives. Ninjas also uses swords. Ninjas use cool karate. Ninjas throw shirukens (sharp spikey things look like stars). Ninjas are accurate. Ninjas have agility. Ninjas dominate samurais in Mortal Kombat. NINJA Turles. Ninjas throw wooden chains.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:9BeCrLh6HBkJ:http://3.141592.org/albums/ninja/aab.jpg
Games I want: Starcraft: Ghost (went to gamestop and saw it on the shelf labeled " coming soon, reserve your copy today"
Halo 2

Alley_Hater
  • Total Posts : 340
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 13, 2004 05:25

The unreal ninja.
[image]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:FD0ooHxRjbkJ:jlug.org/~meihan/drawings/Meihan_The_Samurai-Ninja.jpg[/image]
ever saw a ninja-samurai hybrid?
[image]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:i5QeFV7xh7gJ:www.intoxigaming.com/Wallpaper/Ninja%2520Gaiden%25204.jpg[/image]
how about Ninja Gaiden?
[image]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:XQ73dPuivHsJ:www.newyorktechnologies.com/kchalupa/Images/Ninja%2520Barbie.jpg[/image]
a lady ninja
Games I want: Starcraft: Ghost (went to gamestop and saw it on the shelf labeled " coming soon, reserve your copy today"
Halo 2

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 15, 2004 15:42
Hey man nice pics if you got any more pics show em to me. id like to see more.

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 17, 2004 00:01
Nice Alley hater. i see you like ninja now you can join my clan, go to www.freewebs.com/thesanada there you' ll find out how to join my clan.

Domas
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 21, 2004 02:41
i prefer the life of a samurai than a ninja............... i even got a sword
To live without knowing death is better to hav not lived at all.......... Knowing that you can die and accepting your faith is what truely makes you immortal!!!!

whatabout_paul
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 21, 2004 16:23
I' m jealous Domas. You ever used it though?

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 21, 2004 18:59
I bought a sword two weeks ago. its a 40 inch dragon head sword. it looks really nice with its golden rims and dark blue sheeth nice hndle too eh....

well any way i just orderd a set of shurikens on ebay yeahh! it cost me, but itd worth it.

Domas
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 22, 2004 04:12
to correct some of your terminology............ but the gold ring you mentioned............guessin that' s on the top of the handle which would make it the hand guard ................and those the blade have a dragon engraved on it?? and the handle has a red gem almost to the center of it?? got me one of those bout 2 years ago myself gave it to my cousin............long story..............and that would be a kitana what i have is a shoto............ i' ve used the kitana i gave away.........at present i' m workin on inventing my own technique of the blade............and trying to have the steal' s dicipline as well...........the kitana' s with the authentic wrap is better though.............the design of the wrap symbolizes the rank and skill of the owner!!!
< Message edited by Domas -- 11/22/2004 4:15:53 AM >
To live without knowing death is better to hav not lived at all.......... Knowing that you can die and accepting your faith is what truely makes you immortal!!!!

IORI YAGAMI1211
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 30, 2004 19:52
a Samurai would run over a Ninja any time. sure Ninja can " sneak" . but why is that? Beacuse they would get there butts handed to them from anybody who finds them. they are trained to fight and stuff but not at the level a Samurai is. Samurai are warriors while Ninjas stab you in the back. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder i would like to be (Hint: not the Shadow dudes)

bradley harper
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Nov 30, 2004 23:31
well your intitled to your selection, but you know that all ninja arent at the same level. it is said that a single ninja can take out 5,6 samurais. ill bet some samurais even tryed to ovoid the ninja. hee heee

Domas
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 01, 2004 20:24
ahem...........harper though i was accepted as a ninja i would beg to differ that not all ninjas can take a samurai ................ like you said it' s all dependant on skills ........if a samurai and ninja were to encounter eachother on a neutral battle field, the one left standing would be the one with the better disipline of steel..........

both nonjas and samurai has similarities in that they treat their swords as an extension of their mind, body and souls.........their only indifference shows in style and coice of battle fields really!!

mxpx182
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 07, 2004 13:04
NINJA!!! Throwing stars!!! Plus they get to wear those nifty black outfits that cover everything but there eyes!!!!! Spoooooooooooky!

IORI YAGAMI1211
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 07, 2004 22:36
all i have to say is..................The Tick. look up or read a comic with The Tick. That is what i think of when i thnik of Ninjas.

Eastwood
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 15, 2004 13:17
If I were to choose one....I would go with samurai...

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 15, 2004 18:06
Big blue guy with a fetish for spoons?

Neways I would have to choose Samurai. As much as I like stealth and what not, I like to have more of a head on confrontation.

Eastwood
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 15, 2004 21:27

Exactly!! The hari-kari thing doesnt seem too cool with me....but they are pretty crazy. maybe theres a way to fuse the 2?

IORI YAGAMI1211
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 16, 2004 14:43
are you keepin' srcore ben?

IORI YAGAMI1211
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 16, 2004 14:44
are you keepin' score Ben?

TUI
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 18, 2004 20:58
Hmm. I' ve read lots of stupid comments about ninjas and samurai in this forum and I have to say it' s kinda fun. Anyway, I think the easiest way to choose your favourite is to think " what proffessions today are most like the ninja or samurai?"
Well, ninjas were assassins, no doubt, but they were also used as elite troops in regular battles, not wearing the black clothing but real samurai armor. They could also be used as ninja spies more known as Shinobi. Many ninja were also of samurai breed so there were people who were both. Some ninjas were loyal to a Daimyo and later, when the Tokugawa ruled, to the shogunate. Ninja clans lived on as spies and secret police to prevent rebellions. Some ninja were not loyal and could be hired for the right amount of money. So what are the ninja today if not the CIA and similar organisations? Hmm? So in a sence the ninja still exists. So if you like CIA, James Bond and things like that, go with the ninja!
The samurai were warriors who served a daimyo. If they didn' t serve anyone they were called ronin. It' s romantic to think of them as 100 % loyal, and just but such was not reality. Only a few of the warriors were real men of honour so sadly most of the samurai were truly evil people, raping, murdering, and abusing the people for their own profit. BUT, the romantic ideas of the samurai are completely different. They were not only soldiers but men of honour. They were supposed to be good at other things than fighting, such as writing, painting, and being able to live civiliced ith other noble men. This is a part the ninja did not have to do. So if you like the army and that stuff or spiritual and intellectual people, go with the samurai!
About the combat techniques they practicly use the same. The only thing ninja are more trained in is the use of poison. But techniques such as shuriken throwing ,who many believe ninjas only used, were used by the samurai as well. They both used katanas and bows and most of the weapons at that time. So samurai did not only use the katana! Ninpo taijutsu techniques are very similar to ju-jutsu techniques.
Anyway, personally I prefer the ninja. Why? Well, there were more samurai than ninja and I lwould ike to be something special...
Anyway, I' m not perfect, I probably have lots of errors about the ninja and samurai but I have worked with many people that know japanese history very well, as well as skilled practisioners in the arts of ninpo taijutsu (bujinkan) and ju-jutsu.

yoshimitsu15
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 19, 2004 00:29
Then you would know that Bujinkan do not consider themselves " ninjas" . Nor do the other sects...Jinenkan and Genkuban. I mean they actually changed the name from " ninjutsu" to " ninpo taijutsu" to get away from the stereotype. I' ve trained in a " ninjutsu" class for a year. It' s a good art but it does not make you a ninja.

As a sidenote...I was wondering if you had any sources for your information?

TUI
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Ninja or Samurai - Dec 19, 2004 18:15
Yes, I know about the reason for the name change and that members of Bujinkan do not consider themselves as ninja. What I was saying was that some of the techniques of the ninja are similar to the techniques of the samurai. And you cannot say that you (ninpo practisioner) do not practice ninja techniques, because you do, although it is just a small part of a large collection of techniques. I am sorry if I was misunderstood or anything and I am glad you felt the need for correcting me. If you see that something else I have written is wrong then feel free to correct me again since I myself strive to learn more about this subject.
My sources include several practisioners of ninpo, books written by Hatsumi-sensei or people who have worked with him, books about japanese history, japanese friends and historians.
But then, what says they are right? Isn' t a lot of the ninja history unknown? A lot of what we know of the ninja are only good guesses right?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 44