Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 First.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 30 of 30
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:First. - Jul 14, 2009 08:53
I don't mind downloadable HD, it's not as pristine but still very watchable.

"Downloadable" content in the strictest sense won't be the future, digital distribution by cable TV companies will. 

Even at the point where technology is now, there is very little reason for me to get any movie outside of what is available with my cable TV company, there's thousands of shows and movies on VOD, hundreds of shows and movies being broadcast 24/7, there's DVR and its ability to be able to record multiple things while you watch something else is becoming a standard, and the way the TV companies are designing their set top boxes to be networked together inside your home, you can basically watch anything on any TV (DVR and VOD used to work on only the main set top box).

I get all that shit for $70/month, that's 2 blu ray movies, BR can't even begin to compete with that, it has visual quality going for it but it's improvement on TV is inevitable, HD channels already look better than they did 3-4 years ago. 

<message edited by emofag on Jul 14, 2009 17:11>
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:First. - Jul 14, 2009 20:46
mastachefbkw

BR vs DVD is like arguing the difference between light green and lime green. Its virtually the same damn thing.

Sounds like someone doesn't have anything approaching 20/20 vision!
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:First. - Jul 14, 2009 22:58
Joe Redifer

mastachefbkw

BR vs DVD is like arguing the difference between light green and lime green. Its virtually the same damn thing.

Sounds like someone doesn't have anything approaching 20/20 vision!

Or maybe your old ass has lost vision from playing Atari for 30 years!
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:First. - Jul 14, 2009 23:08
Who said anything about compressed HD? I typically download Blu Ray rips, Joe.

And I never really thought about the cable point, emo, and its a good argument. Right now my family has DirectTV because we switched before they even offered digital cable. Now you're giving me Comcast lust.
Joe Redifer

Re:First. - Jul 15, 2009 00:04
Comcast digital HD looks worse than OTA HD and that looks pretty bad... at least it does when things are moving onscreen at any respectable speed.  The bitrate is pretty low the last time I checked.  But hey, to each their own.

masterchiefbtw

Or maybe your old ass has lost vision from playing Atari for 30 years!

That doesn't make any sense.  If I had lost vision, then I wouldn't be able to tell much if any difference between DVD and Blu-ray, like you.  It baffles me that people cannot comprehend why others would want to watch movies in high definition on their HDTVs and that SD DVDs are plenty good enough in that regard.
emofag

Re:First. - Jul 15, 2009 02:46
And last time you checked was in 2004
Joe Redifer

Re:First. - Jul 15, 2009 02:48
Prove me wrong, emo.  Betcha can't.

Do they even do 1080p over cable?
emofag

Re:First. - Jul 15, 2009 03:33
Yes they do, though it isn't very common.  That's my point about it eventually getting better, as bandwidth becomes cheaper it's going to happen, there's going to be commercials saying "X company has TWICE as many 1080P channels as Y company!!1one11"

And what do you want me to prove? It's a fact that they have improved their image quality.  It's mostly free basic stations that look poor, premium channels especially have very good quality.   You're obviously going to find faults if you're nitpicking, but there is no obvious faults.  In the past there was pixelation that even a 90 year old could spot.
<message edited by emofag on Jul 15, 2009 03:37>
Joe Redifer

Re:First. - Jul 15, 2009 03:41
Oh I will agree that they have improved their quality and hopefully will contnue to improve.  I am saying that their bandwidth for HD channels is still pretty low, comparatively, to Blu-ray.  They top out at 19.4mbps MPEG2 I believe.  That can look good but MPEG2 is ancient.  They need to go with another codec altogether AND offer increased bandwidth.
kukuruza

• Total Posts : 11
Re:First. - Sep 13, 2009 18:42
cleary!
<message edited by kukuruza on Sep 18, 2009 16:48>
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 30 of 30

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages