Uncharted 2 Beta

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 62
Johnny Jiron
  • Total Posts : 434
  • Reward points : 5360
Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 03, 2009 06:59
Im installing right now. Anyone else got it?

<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Jun 03, 2009 07:56>

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 03, 2009 16:21
Post impressions. I didn't get into the beta unfortunately. I'd hoped to capture tons of footage for my YouTube channel :(

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 03, 2009 16:35
I gave Silent Bomber my code, so he should have it. He hasnt been on for a few days though, so not sure if he'll be giving impressions.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 03, 2009 17:34
Shit Im horrible with impressions, however I can upload some SD footage tonight. I will say tho it controls very well and looks supurb. My only complaint is the static spawns which will lead to spawn camping.

But yeah I'll try and write up what i can about it this evening.

Nitro
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 11:26
You should look into getting a HD capture device. When I was looking for a solution for my website I came accross Hauppauge's HD PVR an bought one. It's as good as the Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card that I bought last year. It connects to your PC via USB and you feed your component cables into it (they supply a component - component out so you can feed it back to your TV to avoid a delay while recording). It'll capture 720p or 1080i at 60fps and costs like $200.

I've just bought a Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme which is better, but the Hauppauge is perfect for what most people want. I've been testing it with YouTube (click) and it's pretty good. The Ninja Gaiden 2 video didn't turn out that well and I think it's due to fast moving images and YouTube's compression method. I'm still trying to figure out the best method for encoding.

If you want I can upload the converted file that I submitted to YouTube. The original file looks slightly better, but it's an .m2ts file and requires a funny codec that I didn't have until I got Sony Vegas Pro. The h.264 conversion I did would give you a very good idea of the kind of quality you'be be looking at.

To give you an idea, this is a snapshot taken using VLC Media Player of the Crackdown 2 video that I uploaded to YouTube. YouTube's HD video compression sucks but it could be worse. I'm testing blip.tv and Vimeo too, but neither like game footage being uploaded. I just need somthing until my site goes live.

EDIT: You might need to right click 'view image' or save it. The forum doesn't show the image in fullscreen on my machine...
<message edited by Nitro on Jun 04, 2009 11:47>

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 15:22
Do you need a reasonable PC for that?

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 16:07
downloading the beta now, need saomething faster than an 1meg connection. ha ha It will do, it just takes forever...

and I wasnt supposed to download this before I put my new hdd in [320gb] but I completely destroyed the small blue screw holding it in and now shit aint moving, seriously you think they would make things more durable... anyway wait till it mets my soldering iron...

Should update with impressions soon.. I am fairly sure this beta is shareable Nitro if you want it.

Nitro
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 16:23
Johnny Jiron

Do you need a reasonable PC for that?

Dual core CPU, 2GB RAM and a 256MB graphics card or greater. Nothing out of the ordinary. Basically, if you can play back h.264 encoded HD video on your computer it'll be fine.

Silentbomber

I am fairly sure this beta is shareable Nitro if you want it

I might have a key tomorrow. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday so I'll hit you up on Sunday if I still need one :)

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 17:41
For now I can say this game is fun. The only thing holding it back is a basic spawn system and small maps. The controls and overall feel is a step up above the first Uncharted game surprisenly. The climbing mechanics make for a unique online style.

The Plunder game mode tasks 2 teams to try and retrieve an artifact and return it to there base. You pick it up and are then limited to a pistol and move much much slowed. you can however toss the object whenever you want. Passing to other teammates is quite useful. I havent tested out whether you can use the artifact as a weapon by tossing it at the enemy.

Everything is pretty typical honestly with gun variations and what not, but that Uncharted look and feel just makes everythin seem fresh.

A funny and  very cool thing i noted is that bodies are dangerous. I tossed a grenade at someone and his body flew and nailed me dead on, counting it as a melee kill. 

So yeah it's pretty much an Uncharted firefight with real opponants. 

god this is sloppy unorganized  writing, but my mind is in flutter mode right now.

Only negatives i can think of at the moment is the static spawns and trying to figute out what you can and cannot climb. I blame the climbing freedom of Infamous for making climbable objects hard to figure out.

immortaldanmx
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 18:23
Johnny Jiron

A funny and  very cool thing i noted is that bodies are dangerous. I tossed a grenade at someone and his body flew and nailed me dead on, counting it as a melee kill.

That actually sounds interesting.

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 18:59
Im pretty certain thats what happened, I've been trying to recreate it but cant get close enough with grenades. 

I dropped a grenade at his feet I was near enough to get hurt by the blast but not killed which made the screen go grey. I headed away and his body landed on me leaving me dead in the end also. It happened rather fast tho. I may have killed him with the grenade just as he was swinging his rifle at me and it was just a technical hitch with spot on timing. To bad the match recording is blocked off in the beta.

The problem with running the tests i like to run in demos and betas is tha other players are so serious they hate when you mess around. Owell.
<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Jun 04, 2009 19:01>

Silentbomber
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 20:45
78% since last post, going to the cinema now should be finshed when i get back..  Mass whats your psn? or are we friends on it already?

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 20:51
Johnny_Jiron

Silentbomber
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 04, 2009 23:26
so back now just got the game running and.... Its been 15 minutes without any players! still searching.. 

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 05, 2009 00:08
Its because you're Irish.  We blocked you.

Seriously though, That's fucked up you got to get that fixed.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Silentbomber
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 05, 2009 01:59
played some killzone 2 for a while.. for some reason while in college in Galway it would never connect, I blame the router. same for a few games. Uncharted did connect once but I wasnt there and when I came back into the room and the game ended! altough i only got to play for 5 seconds it seemed short, I hope the final version is longer. 

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 05, 2009 04:51
Yeah matches last about 5-10 minutes. The maps are pretty small and the win score is low. Hopefully they add more to the beta. Pretty fun to that's for sure.

Edwin
  • Total Posts : 658
  • Reward points : 6855
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 06, 2009 12:01
Silentbomber: there's apparently a match-making problem with the beta - try hitting back and clicking "find game" a few times if you're stuck. Sometimes it takes ten minutes, sometimes it takes thirty seconds.

Rather enjoying Uncharted 2 so far. Cooperative mode feels a bit under-fleshed, sort of like the blander bits of Resi 5 co-op mixed with a pinch of Left 4 Dead.

Sorry for the radio silence from Kikizo over the past week or two - Adam's just arrived back from E3, and I've been up to my neck in what we're quaintly referring to as "Flytrap Phase 2". We've got a few articles ready to go up now, plus oodles of material from LA.

Silentbomber
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 02:52
I will try that out Edwin, oh and Nitro if you still have that old us account that you let me use about a year ago its on that, just log in and download it again, if you dont have the account i'll give you the passwords. if I can!

Terry Bogard
  • Total Posts : 3915
  • Reward points : 33045
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 08:54
I have 3 spare vouchers for the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer beta, anyone want in just let me know.
Terry Bogard - currently the most Unhelpful member of the Kikizo forums.

Johnny Jiron
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 09:08
EDIT: Nothing nevermind...I was never here.
<message edited by Johnny Jiron on Jun 09, 2009 09:12>

Nitro
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 12:43
Silentbomber

I will try that out Edwin, oh and Nitro if you still have that old us account that you let me use about a year ago its on that, just log in and download it again, if you dont have the account i'll give you the passwords. if I can!

My US account? I haven't deleted it, I just never use it. If you downloaded it using that then I shouldn't have a problem. I won't know until about 7 tonight but i'll let you know. If i'm successful i'll let you know and we can try and get into the same matches. I'll be recording an absolute shitload of footage should I get the chance :)

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 15:49
Yo Terry hook a brotha up I'll take one of those codes. 

Edwin
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 16:30
I'm game for some Kikizo partying up, if anyone's around. No mic at present though. My tag: dirigiblebill.

immortaldanmx
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 18:47
mikayd2

Yo Terry hook a brotha up I'll take one of those codes. 

Of course, the unemployed bitch shows up for a handout.

mikayd2
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 19:33
My tag is MikeDaFreshOne I'm down edwin if you want to roll a few games. That is after I get the demo code from Terry.

Terry Bogard
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 09, 2009 20:26
mikayd2

My tag is MikeDaFreshOne I'm down edwin if you want to roll a few games. That is after I get the demo code from Terry.

Code sent... Hopefully it works!
You can thank the lovable staffers at Sony's E3 booth for dumping a bunch of these vouchers on me.

immortaldanmx
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 01:42
Terry Bogard

mikayd2

You can thank the lovable staffers at Sony's E3 booth for dumping a bunch of these vouchers on me.

I would call question your journalistic integrity for accepting, but I'll assume your heart was in the right place and this will in no way reflect in the final score.

Im watching you, Bogard.

Iad umboros
  • Total Posts : 750
  • Reward points : 9745
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 02:36
Terry Bogard

mikayd2

Hey Terry if any more of those are going spare I'd appreciate it too.  I love Uncharted and I'm interested in this, but not as much getting my hands on the campaign....
***flyingsaucersdisguisedasmushrooms***
***mushroomsinvadingfromouterspace***

Silentbomber
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 03:23
Seems like we have to wait 24 hours between each play session Nitro, altough that dosent bother me much as I'm sure you have alot of recording to do and I've seen everything the beta has to offer.

Nitro
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 11:50
Well Terry just sent me a code (thanks Terry) so i'll delete and re-download using that and you carry on using the one you've already downloaded :-)

I did manage to get a couple of matches in last night, and my initial impression is favourable. It doesn't have the depth of games like GRAW 2, Gears 2, Killzone 2 or CoD4 etc... but it is fun... and that's what counts. It's not balanced though and from what I can tell the character choices are purely cosmetical. The 'boosters' (perks) are unknown quantities at this point because I can't see how many will be available when the game ships and how they're unlocked. The 4 that are available didn't seem to make much difference, no matter what combination I chose. It's lag-free though and the framerate is spot on. I only played multiplayer and didn't get chance to check out the co-op. I'll be playing and recording as much as I can throughout the beta. For now, all of my videos are going up on my YouTube account. I've been messing around with different codecs to try and get the best quality... with mixed results. It's available here :-)

Edwin
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 12:00
You had four boosters? I see seven.

Agree with your impressions on the whole - good fun, but nothing to threaten CoD4, etc. The Kikizo write-up has been handed in and will go live soon.

How did you like the co-op? I thought it was the most lacklustre element.

Terry Bogard
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 15:27
immortaldanmx

Terry Bogard

mikayd2

I would call question your journalistic integrity for accepting, but I'll assume your heart was in the right place and this will in no way reflect in the final score.

Im watching you, Bogard.

What Journalistic integrity? That is a foreign word to me.

Besides, noone could ever fault me for following Sony's instructions. The booth rep handed a bunch of those vouchers to me and ORDERED me to give them out to friends and whatnot. Who am I to disobey a direct order like that?

mikayd2
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 10, 2009 16:49
Thanks Terry for the beta code.

Edwin
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 14, 2009 16:01
Sure thing mikayd2, I'll add you this afternoon.

Bastard patch has reset my player rank :(

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 14, 2009 19:01
What the fuck is going on here? Why is everyone all butt-fuck buddies with eachother?  

Edwin
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 14, 2009 20:14
Hah :D

It's my motherly touch.

Nitro
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 14, 2009 21:41
Ok, so I have about 5 hours of footage that I'll start uploading in the morning.

I'm really liking the co-op :-)

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 14, 2009 22:21
Smiling isn't allowed here, we are to be miserable and fight amongst ourselves.  WTF is going on?

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
Re:Uncharted 2 Beta - Jun 14, 2009 23:45
Hey, those gameplay vids are really good.  Good quality and ideal watching someone good play for 10mins to get an idea of what the game is like.  Better than GT. You need to get your website running asap. :-)

Like the look of Wipeout HD.

inFamous looks rubbish though...  they never show the game properly on other sites - always got something to sell eg some big action sequence, but they never show you all the mundane jumping and climbing you've got to do to get there, or that when you shoot a truck for the billionth time in exactly the same manner it'll eventually blow up.  Stuff like that sucks.

But credit to your vids for revealing it.

Will check back for the Uncharted 2 beta vids. :-) :-)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 62